Cotter Uranium Refinery
How about a nice, compact uranium refinery on the outskirts of your small, mountain town? This is an aerial view of the Cotter Plant on the outskirts of Canon City, Colorado. It is served by a rail spur out of Canon City.

[Image: Cotter_Plant_South_View_Skline_Driv.jpg]
Cool... or not if you live close to there I guess. I've got this spot on my layout that will be just perfect for a medium sized industry. I've been debating on what to put there for a while until a couple days ago, I was up at the LHS and found that Cornerstone had reissued the North Island refinery. Bought it and am currently building it.
Just think, you wouldn't have to light the buildings. They'd all ready glow in the dark!

Loren
I got my first train when I was three,
put a hundred thousand miles on my knees.
nomad Wrote:Just think, you wouldn't have to light the buildings. They'd all ready glow in the dark!

Loren

Nah...just the workers. My wife lost a relative in that place: high pressure chemical line burst and killed him.

This would be something different for the modeler who "has it all."
I found the place on Google Earth. That place looks huge!. It shows a lake next to it. Do you know if that is part of it, or is the lake artificial?

Loren
I got my first train when I was three,
put a hundred thousand miles on my knees.
nomad Wrote:I found the place on Google Earth. That place looks huge!. It shows a lake next to it. Do you know if that is part of it, or is the lake artificial?

Loren

It's a storage pond for toxic liquids leftover from processing. There has been considerable concern over the years about leakage into the local groundwater.

Interestingly, when Canon City wanted to convert the old Sante Fe Depot into a restaurant and tourist attraction, they had to clean up a lot of radioactive ballast and soil along the former right of way, due to spillage form the ore cars to Cotter.

Currently, action is underway to re-open the Cotter plant.