Waterfall Tutorial...
How to make a waterfall

MATERIALS NEEDED:

1) Liquid Nails “Clear Seal”

[album]1348[/album]

(it does not dry “milky”) It worked great for me. You could try a substitute….but why would you…LOL!
2) A non-stick cookie sheet (don’t use your wife’s)
3) Cotton balls (use your wife’s)
4) hairspray (your call)
5) Toothpick
6) Craft Knife

STEPS:
1) Prepare the area. This includes finishing (texture and color) all the terrain around and BEHIND the future waterfall. what method you used is entirely up to you (in this case I used Sculptamold and paint)
In the photo below, you will notice(in the red circle) that I made the edge, where the water will spill over, protrude further out than the rest of the rock face. This will allow the "water" to fall without interruption all the way to the bottom. This would not be necessary if you planned on a series of smaller falls spilling into each other on the way down.

[album]1349[/album]

2) Measure the length and width of the falls. Add a quarter inch to the width and a full inch to the length to account for shrinking (I didn’t notice any).

3) Run beads of the sealant to the proper length and width.

[album]1350[/album]

4) Work it with a tooth pick in downward strokes to pull all the separate beads together and rough up the surface.

[album]1351[/album]

5) Pull the sealant out to the sides at the bottom. This is where your falls will strike the surface of the lake/stream etc.

[album]1352[/album]

When finished let dry a few days. It remained tacky even after waiting but that actually helped with the installation.

6) Carefully peal the “water” from cookie sheet (it may stretch a little…don’t worry about it) and cut to size.

7) The backside of the sealant will be very tacky…use that to attach it in place.

Make sure the waterfall is taut and straight. I used small pieces I cut off at the bottom to simulate the “splash” of the falls entering the water.

[album]1353[/album]

[album]1354[/album]

Now, you can stop right here (especially on a short waterfall) or take it to the next level and add the spray effects.

Spray effects:

Take cotton ball

[album]1355[/album]

And pinch a little between your fingers and pull it carefully away (keeping it attached)

[album]1356[/album]

Keep going back to the ball itself and repeating until you have a lengthy, wispy looking piece of cotton.

[album]1357[/album]

Place on the falls. Move it around and see where you like it. It should stick on its own, at least temporarily,(if not use a FEW TINY SPOTS of white glue to help).
Make as many as necessary and don’t forget about the sides of the waterfalls (this really helps make it look like the water has volume and isn’t flat!)

9) Once everything is where you want it…spray with hairspray (a few light coats are better than one heavy…bet you heard that before…LOL)

Some time in the future the cotton may become dusty or discolored…you can always pull the cotton off and replace it….good as new!

Looks good in person….looks good in pictures!

[album]1358[/album]

Deano took this bottom picture...can't ya tell!...LOL

[album]1359[/album]

Deano, your pics are flat out THE BEST!!!!

There are many ways to do one of these...this is ONE way.

But I will say one thing for this method...It is very easy and almost "Steve Proof"!

Steve
Steve
This excellent tutorial was recreated for The NEW Academy thanks to Steve and doctorwayne.

This thread was added to The NEW Academy on August 20, 2009 and is now closed to further comments. Some posts may have been removed or edited for the sake of clarity. If you have any feedback on this topic, please see this follow-up thread in the Scenery Forum --> <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1762">viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1762</a><!-- l -->

Andrew
for The NEW Academy