1950's Air Conditioning
In doing research for industries to build for my layout, I came across an interesting fact about the 1950's era that I (and several others) model. One budding industry that I've never seen mentioned (in a model railroading sense) was air conditioning. We often see the use of ice houses being modeled for this period, but AC and refrigeration were bursting onto the scene.

Quote:In the Jan. 29, 1951 issue of The News, it was reported that sales of household refrigerators for the first 10 months of 1950 had exceeded 5 million units.

At a time when WWII had just ended, most were not overly concerned with "creature comforts" such as AC or refrigerators, and the raw materials needed to build them such as copper and aluminum were in scarce supply. But the boys returning home from the war had other plans. As more and more began to settle down and start families, the lead up to the Baby Boom generation of the 1960's was beginning, and more people wanted convenience items.

In 1950, Willis Carrier helped pave the way for air conditioning. By the mid-50's Lennox branched out from the heating end of the spectrum and began making AC as well, even building a facility in Canada to meet demand. In 1953, AC began to re-appear in automobiles after a near 20 year hiatus. Nearly 30,000 units were shipped from automobile makers with AC installed in 1953.

Modeling this industry shouldn't be a difficult task, several structures already exist that could easily become an AC or refrigeration factory. This interesting industry would be served by several types of rail cars to handle raw materials and finished goods.
Tony
My house was built in 1950, without air conditioning. The house across the street was built 5-8 years later, with a/c. Both are houses that would have been middle class basic houses near the outskirts of town at that time. I suspect household a/c would have become a standard middle class amenity for new houses in southern arizona between about 1955 and 1960, and probably universal for new houses in my area after 1960.

Commercial or industrial refrigeration came long before that. Malls and movie theaters featured a/c before houses, and industrial refrigeration for ice production predates 1900.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
At the same time, you could be modelling the end of the ice industry. Coal and other bulk commodity dealers may have also sold ice directly from reefers sitting on their sidings. The fuel part of the business might also have been in transition at the time as well, since coal for home heating was disappearing in favour of oil.

Andrew
In the early 50s we lived in an apartment building (2 floors!). Our refrigerator was fairly small and the mechanical parts were located in the basement connected by copper tubes. The freezer compartment was barely big enough for 2 ice-cube trays. It was replaced in the late 50s with a self-contained unit. The house across the street still had an ice-box. My mother always referred to the refrigerator as an "ice-box".
Ice was still delivered on a horse-drawn wagon. I think the ice and lumber companies were linked and used the same horse and wagon.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.