"New modules"
Russ Bellinis Wrote:Pete, are you going to install "dock bumpers" to protect those boats from wave damage on those docks?

The cut stone wharf, will have pilings, and some horizontal wood structure, as a buffer against the stone, The boat docks will probably not have any "installed" protection.....most boats carry fenders, that can be rigged, depending on the dock's configuration.

10:40 AM 11/5/10 the modules are in the trailer, and once all the other stuff is loaded, I'm off to Rockford, Il. for this weekend's train show. Everything seemed to work well....in the basement....now I'll see if things still work well after "transportation". Big Grin
There's still a few bits ( read that, tons of ) details left to be added, and the waterfall will go "unbuilt" 'til after Trainfest, next weekend. All the major construction is done, and I'm pleased with how it is looking.
I'll try to remember to take the camera,.......and the battery charger......tomorrow. I should be able to get some decent shots of the complete set, at the show.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Have fun, Pete. Looking forward to seeing the photos of your weekend outing.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Pictures....well, I did say I'd TRY.........Tomorrow then. Everything got to the show in good order, the 50+ year old freight house lost a couple of cast metal drums, and barrels ( hey, the glue held for 50+ years !, so I'll have to re-attach them. The ships all arrived safely.
There were a couple of minor problems, but nothing that stopped trains from running! I'm confident that Trainfest will go well.
This is the first time, since the beginning of this project, that I've "set up" the modules, after transport. It will take me a couple of more times to get it all down correctly, but it still went well enough.
Got lots of very positive comments, from just about everybody, so I guess I'm not the only one who thinks the set looks good.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Sumpter250 Wrote:Got lots of very positive comments, from just about everybody, so I guess I'm not the only one who thinks the set looks good.

And you were surprised?? Wink Goldth Goldth Goldth

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:
Sumpter250 Wrote:Got lots of very positive comments, from just about everybody, so I guess I'm not the only one who thinks the set looks good.

And you were surprised?? Wink Goldth Goldth Goldth

Wayne

Very pleasantly, yes.
I suppose it's because I know the shortcomings of my own work, even where it can't be seen.
Picture time: Train show in Rockford, Il., at the Midway Village and Museum.
First, all three modules.

The "water area" with trains running.

Looking "north" the great white blob, is the unfinished waterfall. That work begins after Trainfest.

The 2-6-6-2T with tender, three flat cars with an overhead traveling crane in transit, and the shipyard's work train ( Spring challenge )

The Brigantine again, with the skyboard behind so no "clutter".

Engine facility at the "South end".

Lookin' South down the seaport wharf.

The walk bridges with the boat docks behind.

The most commented on, and complimented, were the ship models. The satisfaction here, is that for years, I've wanted to have a scene where both disciplines, RR, and ships, could be displayed together. That, is now realized.
I can understand that the ships were well received. They are simply freaking fantastic! And it is very cool that you combined your love of ships with your love of trains. I'm sure you had a great weekend showing off your craftmanship.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
A long term dream is realized ... and beautifully realized, at that!

You should be proud, young man, very proud of your accomplishments!

Kudos! Worship Worship Worship
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
P5se Camelback Wrote:A long term dream is realized ... and beautifully realized, at that!
You should be proud, young man, very proud of your accomplishments!

" You should be proud, young man, very proud of your accomplishments! "
If there is any "pride" to be taken, it is in the hope that someone saw, and was inspired enough to try to achieve the same, or higher level of skill.
" A long term dream is realized ... and beautifully realized, at that! ".
......And that, is a too seldom received blessing, and one for which I am thankful.

If I can learn, my life will have value.
If I can "teach", then my time here will have greater value.
Great job on the modules, Cheers they look great. Hope to see more soon.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
It's been 8 months?! got some catchin' up to do.

The modules went to Trainfest, the weekend after the Rockford show. I didn't get a chance to play, or take pictures, we were too busy at the GC Laser booth.
When I got home, and started to move the modules back to the basement, I discovered that there had been a significant amount of damage during the transit. I've been repairing things, and trying to figure out how to prevent more damage.

The old module set were all 24" deep, so there was room left in the trailer to use a "tension-er" to lock the modules in.
I couldn't do that with the 30" deep new modules, so what happened was --when the trailer "bounced", the modules "continued their upward motion" as the trailer came down, and the trailer was moving upward as it made contact with the downward moving modules .-.-.-.-.- and they were " beaten to death ". I'm still trying to figure out a way to hold them down, that is quick and easy to put in place, and tighten, as each module is loaded in the trailer ( there is a slight problem here, with sliding the modules into the trailer, and then rigging the hold-downs, that is keeping that project from being done ).

In the meantime, the lobster sloop was built, and the lobsterman's shack, and the pilings and dock.

The finished "complex" in place on the module.( yeah, another "ship to rig" )

I've rebuilt the staircase of the coaling tower, repaired the coal chute, and need to add the handrails, and posts, and paint the repairs.
I had to partially disassemble the freight house, and reassemble it, re-gluing everything that "shook loose".
The roof of the "Shipchandler's" had to be reattached, and the steel arch bridge decks had to be refastened.
I still have repairs to make on the sand tower, the water tank, and the turntable.

In the last two days, I started detailing the falls, where the stream enters the harbor. The plaster is still too wet to start the coloring process, so I have time to charge the camera batteries, and get some pictures taken in the next day or two.
Do you have a picture or diagram as to how the modules are transported? We have a wide range of shapes and sizes of modules at <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.hotrak.ca">www.hotrak.ca</a><!-- w --> and all have been transported on a regular basis without much damage over the years.

Andrew
This picture shows the old set being loaded in the trailer.

The two "white things" on the trailer bed, at the opening, are shelf brackets. A "shelf" with two bolts in "T"nuts, goes there, and the bolts tighten against a board with a carpet strip on it that goes against the face of the last module. Because the new modules extend all the way to the opening, I can't use this tensioning device, the plan, for now, is to, somehow, rig similar tension-ers ( 6, one per each module end )to the cover, that will hold the modules down, rather that "compressing" front to back. These will have to be installed as each module is loaded, and removed before each module can be unloaded, which will be a bit more time consuming, but I think that will still be the best method of keeping the modules from bouncing around. Twenty years of transporting the old set, shows that the actual trailer motion is not harmful,so if I can keep the modules firmly in contact with the trailer bed, I should not have any more damage.
The real trick here, is adhering to the KISS principle....it has to be effective, but I have to Keep It Simple, Stupid, and make it easy to use.
The Coal tower repairs are almost complete. The new stairs are built, installed, and painted.

The Sand Tower repairs are done.

And, the old freighthouse is repaired.

The plaster was still damp, so I couldn't begin coloring/staining/drybrushing.......yet.

The lobster shack,etc is getting "details".

and... there's a new Athearn boat bash nearing completion.

This is the third try at a willow tree, and the best looking start so far. The first two tries were ---- let's just say I knew I could do better, and leave it at that.

This hasn't happened all at once, I just got around to taking the photos :oops: Hey!, I'm a model builder, not a photographer. Wink
Sumpter250 Wrote:.....Hey!, I'm a model builder.......

The photos expressed that very nicely. Wink Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne