"New modules"
The first shot is my favorite but they are all great Pete! Worship
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Thanks Mike, I was a bit nervous about that shot, it's the first time I have been in "traffic" in a canoe, with a camera. 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:Including the willow, there are now seventy trees/ bushes/shrubs, on the modules.....spent the better part of yesterday "growing" more of them.
on Tue Oct 25, 2011.......

There are now 136 +/- of the afore mentioned trees / bushes / shrubs. - - - and probably a few more before I am done.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Sumpter250 Wrote:
Sumpter250 Wrote:Including the willow, there are now seventy trees/ bushes/shrubs, on the modules.....spent the better part of yesterday "growing" more of them.
on Tue Oct 25, 2011.......

There are now 136 +/- of the afore mentioned trees / bushes / shrubs. - - - and probably a few more before I am done.

And well-worth the effort: those scenes look great. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
I've taken a break from the tour ship, to add a few more little details to the modules. November is fast approaching, and that means Trainfest !!!
I have every intention of having these new modules at Trainfest - - it will be my twenty-fourth!
These next two shots - - the first - - "don't pay any attention to the man behind the skyboard"

- - and the second :oops: I asked you not to ........
here you can see the "back board", that makes the module set a 40" X 12' dual gauge loop. the Narrow, and Standard split off across the back, behind the "sky boards". I can alternate a Narrow gauge train in one direction, and next a Standard gauge train in the other, on the dual gauge track that runs along the lower front edge of the set.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
This next shot is the far left end, or the "North end" of the set.

This shot, is looking from just to the right of the sea wall in the first two pictures. Behind the sailboats and bridges, you can see the standard gauge 2-6-6-2T with tender, on the dual gauge track

Here, we see a Father and son sitting on the sea-wall ( newly added figures ). The boy is getting a "fishing lesson". To the left, the transom of the Brigantine W.W.Marsland ( rememberin' ya bil ), and a view to the Northwest across Cindys Harbor.

A closer view, you can see the name clearly on the transom. and across the harbor, the caboose of the standard gauge train, and the lobsterman's shack.

A wider view of the harbor, taken on the south shore of the Lower Kennequogue.
Oh, for those who may be interested in "tree ( shrub & Bush ) count" - - - it's 191, and Smile "growing" Big Grin

Finally, the South end of the harbor, and the South shore of the Lower Kennequogue, and the "Boathouse". :oops: It's this picture that makes me want to remove and re-do that Willow tree. :o Wink

Attached Files Image(s)

Smile Last night, the "shrub and tree count got to 200, then, went to 212 , and I ran out of clear lacquer spray. Smile Time to get back to the "tour ship" project. Wink Smile
Currently, this picture shows the "backboard" for the dual gauge loop. I am now thinking that when the modules are back in the basement, I would like to have the river extend back two feet, instead of the 10" backboard. ( Icon_twisted I want to see more water, and make room for a few more boats Icon_twisted 357 Icon_lol )
The additional 24" X 48" module needed to accomplish that, would probably never get to a train show ( no way to transport the extra "volume" of scenery ), but it would make the modules look better here at home, and I wouldn't mind just a little more *visible-running-trains* ,even if it meant parking the standard, or, the narrow gauge train, on one of the 'new bridges'

------------------------------------------------------------------
I also have a few ideas for structures, along the additional 48" ( 24" on each side ) of "river bank" Wink Wink One of these being a model of the *summer cottage* we used to have on Noyac Bay, Long Island.
:o Yup !! I really need another "project" Wink :o :o Icon_lol , and I just might end up having to build a
*trailer cover-- "cover/ box"-- addition* to get that scene to shows. Icon_twisted Icon_twisted Big Grin
So ! I started the "mocking-up" process. A 24" X 48" frame, with a sheet of 1/4" chip board ( 2' X4' ), set in place behind the center module, with the skyboard removed.

I'll continue the stone quay wall ( left side ) straight back, past where the two tracks cross the river, and I'm thinking that there is enough space there to put in a "marine railway", where I can "haul out" a schooner, or smaller sail craft, for hull maintenance.
This schooner, would just fit in the space:

or, this sloop.

I've set in part of a previous bridge build, where I will need to have some form of bridge ( I'm debating either a vertical lift, or possibly a Swing Bridge ).
The "water" will widen out to the right side back corner.

The front left corner of the "backtable" will extend the "green" area back to where the standard and narrow gauge track will run ( about 3.5" ), and be filled with trees, or whatever to hide the point ( hole in the skyboard ) where those tracks "enter the scene". behind the tracks will be the "marine railway", and some "outbuildings". I'm still thinking about what will go on the right side behind the boathouse, and the willow tree. There's a road that passes the front of the house, which will probably curve to the right to follow the river bank. That, will require some slight modification to the front module.
This project will be in the "O K I wonder what this would look like" stage of playing with scenes/structures, for some time yet. The middle module's "water" is painted, 1/4" plywood. I can get a better finish on the plywood than on the chip board, so the first "construction" will have to be the water surface ( AKA purchasing, sanding, and painting, the plywood sheet ).
That will really add some depth to the scene Pete and the Phantom looks like it needs drydocking yesterday!
Mike

Tyson Rayles Wrote:That will really add some depth to the scene Pete and the Phantom looks like it needs drydocking yesterday!

Cheers

Big Grin "Phantom" actually looks like this now....

This is a rebuild I've been working on for a while now, and it will be "cased" and given away. I have an new kit of this, which will be built for the "railway" display.
Smile Wink I was thinking about doing a "drydock", but it would take up a lot more space than a marine railway , and, the marine railway makes possible a lot more "visible" detail.
I like the other one better Pete. Us model railroaders don't like anything unless it dirty, rundown and nasty looking. Spiffy, neat and clean don't hack it ! Icon_lol
Mike

Tyson Rayles Wrote:I like the other one better Pete. Us model railroaders don't like anything unless it dirty, rundown and nasty looking. Spiffy, neat and clean don't hack it ! Icon_lol

357 357 357 Cheers 357 357 357

Noted, and understood.......besides, that look could be modeled as the "work of the shipyard LPB's" Icon_twisted

Us "sailors" have been brainwashed to believe that everything has to be "Spiffy, neat and clean". It's been a lifelong fight to "weather"........kind of.... "goes against the grain". Wink Wink 357 357

I like having the sloop on the Marine railway. I doesn't overpower the scene, and, it gives me a place to display the model.
It was built..... Confusedhock: Forty-Three years ago :o :?: :o Confusedhock:, In Brunswick, Me. during my first tour of duty at the Naval Air Station there. Right after having seen Pete Seger's "Clearwater" ( the inspiration for the model ) under construction at Harvey Gamage's in South Bristol, Me.

May First......Payday !!!!!
I can run to "Menards", and get the materials I will need for the water surface, and the support legs for the larger backboard. 2285_ 2285_ 2285_ 2285_ 2285_
:o It's been a while :o :o :oops:
I got the two track rolling lift bridge fairly well along in construction, just need to build the "base" that the bridge rolls on to open, and a short approach span at the opposite end.

The three buildings on the left side are; a narrow two story building ( at one time an interlocking tower ) that will serve as a "view blocker" for the tracks "entry" through the side skyboard. I haven't figured out exactly, what it will become as a functional building...yet.
The white and gray one behind it, is the shop/machinery building for the marine railway ( with the sloop on it ).
The building behind the sloop will be the "work building" / repair shop. There is a small house, blocked by the willow tree in the first shot, and by the bridge counterweight in the second shot, that will be more of a "summer home", than a permanent residence.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The bridge tender's tower is visible ( gray siding ) just behind the bridge. The near side of the bridge deck is the standard gauge track, the narrow gauge track is on the far side of the bridge deck.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had to use a rolling lift bridge here so the "W.W.Marsland", and several of the other sailing vessels, could get in and out of the harbor.
From the front edge of the front module to the back edge of the "backboard module" is 54".

The "scale acreage" of water, has now gone from 5.5 acres to approximately 7.
Good looking progress Pete! Cheers
Mike