(Almost) Everything's Negotiable - Help on "G" Layout Design
For those of you that don't know.... I got my Ngauger name from when i designed and built an N gauge layout with a few friends in 1984. Now 25 years later, I have had a G gauge layout since 1994. it has been redesigned 2 times and was created whan i could crawl all over it and bend all sorts of ways. Well, for the last 18 months, I just havent had the "want" to go up there and clean the tracks.. Sad Sad No real physical reason, except "maybe" I'll be 51 years old very soon Smile

Now, Christmas is coming up, My vacations are approaching and It's time to re-design the layout, possibly the final time. I've designed about 15 - 20 layouts, in N, HO, G, O and Z... But this time, I'm NOT doing it alone!! Nope! Nope Nope Nope Nope

Someone is going to help me..... Hopefully a bunch of you will submit an idea or 3 or 4 Big Grin and i'll use them or build on them......

Don & I created Big Blue to help Model Railroaders exchange ideas, well now i'm asking for any ideas - no suggestion will go "un-read" Big Grin Big Grin

So.. Away We Go!!!!!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
The layout is a monstrous 14 ft wide X 8 ft deep hunk of wood Big Grin

here's what it looks like now:

Attached Files Image(s)

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

The "P" shaped area to the right is a hole I cut out to "Crawl Under"
The long area on the left, is a walk in with 2 bridges, so I can at least get access to the second level
(Shaded area - Tpo Left)
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Okay, you must have some space around that. What's the actual room size, and what has to be kept clear?
Fan of late and early Conrail... also 40s-50s PRR, 70s ATSF, BN and SP, 70s-80s eastern CN, pre-merger-era UP, heavy electric operations in general, dieselized narrow gauge, era 3/4 DB and DR, EFVM and Brazilian railroads in general... too many to list!
Now the fun begins:

What I can not change (non-negotiable) ..... The second level has to stay where it is!
The "Bottom Bridge" with the lead in track, has to stay there too (More on this later)

What i want you to figure out Smile

~~ I need another walkthrough, to the right hand cutout as shown on the dotted lines below (yes, i LOVE bridges, i can make more!! LOL

Attached Files Image(s)

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

I would like the Fan House (from my Scratchbuild challenge) to go in the designated area. I thought it would be neat to make one of the "tunnel' entrances a mine entrance.

On the sheet, you notice that in the lower right corner, i can add a 1 ft section, also to the left, i can add a 6 inch wide section the entire length if needed....

ANY track with an arrow pointing toward it, is NOT negotiable, i need that there, (Unless you extend the left "curve" out over the new 6" extension Smile

The Trestle can be moved, anywhere, any configuration. I was actually thinking of extending the secind level - and keeping it separate fron the "lower level"... do what you want to Smile

There must be a loop, nice sized so I can just let the train run, If you follow the main (start at the trestle) you will note it comes down to the lower level - goes under the second level then returns to the trestle.

The only other rule is: IF - you keep the trestle and or second level connected to the lower level, you MUST use 22 pieces of track for each grade "up" and "Down" - unless you make the trestle a point to point section (one grade up) and you keep the loop on the bottom.

Dont forget to leave room for the Fan House, wherever you end up putting it.....

As always, ask any questions, The Fan house measures 2 ft X 3 ft... All other structures are moveable or expendable..... Don't worry about the 5 ft center section. i have a sanding block on a wooden dowl to clean the tracks, i just need more access to all the tracks in the rear of the layout.......

~ Have Fun!!!!!!! and thanks for taking the time to help me Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

and - since all you designers love pictures:

Before the hole was cut out. Note "Grades for trestle on right against wall
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://home.comcast.net/~the-gauge/g/024.jpg">http://home.comcast.net/~the-gauge/g/024.jpg</a><!-- m -->

The Trestle & the second Level. This one also shows the 2 bridges to the left of the picture and the cut out for the second levelk. The "right" hand (inside) bridge can be taked out of the new design.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://home.comcast.net/~the-gauge/g/g031.jpg">http://home.comcast.net/~the-gauge/g/g031.jpg</a><!-- m -->

Second level showing tunnel entrances. Yes, That's a water fountain in between the tunnels.. Yes, it's shaded on the second plan above.... It has to stay.....
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://home.comcast.net/~the-gauge/g/g038.jpg">http://home.comcast.net/~the-gauge/g/g038.jpg</a><!-- m -->

"5 Ft" center area and trestle. If you want to, you can "cut in" to the center area, just leave the area for the trestle... Or, leave the area as-is and move the trestle....
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://home.comcast.net/~the-gauge/g/g039.jpg">http://home.comcast.net/~the-gauge/g/g039.jpg</a><!-- m -->
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Hmmmmmm, that 14 feet by 8 feet in G would translate roughly to 7 feet by 4 feet in O and 3 1/2 feet by 2 feet in HO................you building a trolley layout???? Smile
Trolleyfan Wrote:Hmmmmmm, that 14 feet by 8 feet in G would translate roughly to 7 feet by 4 feet in O and 3 1/2 feet by 2 feet in HO................you building a trolley layout???? Smile
Nope - keeping it Logging and mining... In 1:20.3 "F" gauge running on G gauge tracks... Just asking for a re-design...

But now that you mention it... A point to point second level with a trolly would be neat!!! that would allow the lower level to be the Climax and other engines.....
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

LOL ok - I'm finished Big Grin I deleted your last post... Yeah, but still - Trolley is a good idea, i never thought of that!!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Looks good so far. I am terrible at design work. My method is kind of different. I claimed all the space that I could in the basement and put up the bench work. The track plan came later, at this point all I have is the mains laid out, and some of the track laid .I have a vague idea of where the industries and yards are going. If it wasnt for the challenges some parts would not have bin thought out at all.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
e-paw Wrote:.... all I have is the mains laid out, and some of the track laid .I have a vague idea of where the industries and yards are going. If it wasnt for the challenges some parts would not have bin thought out at all.
Yeah - that's the fun of the challenges Smile they make us think and then work on our layouts Big Grin Big Grin This is a direct result of mine, Now I have to make room for it Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75