CNJ 4-8-0
I am trying to get my scratch/bashed camelback finished for a north east prototype meet in October. I have bin working on it now off and on for about 5 years now Nope . The valve gear is my biggest sticking point. It has held up completion for almost 2 years. Constant binding and a few Walschaert explosions have caused me to put it down and walk away from it for months at a time, I believe this is try #4. I came across a book called Locomotive Valves and Valve Gears, by Yonder+Wharen. It is filled with info on this subject, perfect for what I need. I was working from old pictures, mostly at a 3/4 roster shot kind of angles, and my only measured drawings did not show the valve gear. I had to do a best guess at the sizes. After reading this book I found that my link was to large and radius rod were to long.I have cut down my radius rods and am now retooling the links. I also have to redo the valve gear hanger.

Here is the hog as it is today, I cut back the radius rods about 4 inches and re installed them on the combination lever.

This is a pic from the book showing there drawing and my reworked links next to them.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Nice work, Steve, and nice to see someone doing this kind of work, too. Thumbsup Thumbsup

That wheel arrangement wasn't too widely used, as far as I know, although the Norforlk & Western seemed to like them well-enough. Wink Goldth
[Image: Pennsylvaniatripphotos071.jpg]

Wayne
Yea Doc. The central ordered 47 of them from Brooks in 1899-1901. They were the only camelbacks built in this wheel arrangement. They even rebuilt 24 of them in 1945, but all were scraped by 1951.
Today's project.... 2285_ Lets build a valve gear hanger. 2285_

The K-1's had a very distinctive hanger , I'll use brass because I can press rivets and bend the angles. It will also be stronger than plastic.

I took some measurements, marked out the brass, and cut a rough shape.

I need to cut out the centers of the roughly triangular portions of the hanger so I drilled some small holes in the aria that I have to remove and then I'll file the rest out. So that I don't destroy the thin brass I took a block of wood and cut a slit in it with a razor saw. I can slip the hanger in it and it will hold the hanger nicely so I won't mangle it as I file.

Here you can see a pic of the prototype hanger and the one that I cut. It definitely stands out as an important detail in the character of the loco, I am trying to capture the same look.

Here's the hanger after some filling and rivet punching.

I bent the angles and drilled the hole for the link to get riveted to it. Next I gave it a test mount. Pretty happy with this one so far. Still needs some fitting to get it in right.

Man, that is impressive! I've rivited valve gear supplied with kits, but never considered scratchbuilding them. The loco looks fantastic, I hope you bring it to the show 10/3
** Steve the 4-8-0 is realy looking good. That hanger came out well. I have alot of old photos of it being built. If you want them they are yours. Can't wate to see it run.
pop
" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!!
As I was looking through the pictures of your hanger fabrication...I thought "That's fine...But how's he gonna make that teensy hole for the rivet..??" A little further down...there it was..!! Amazing what you guys do.... Eek

Fantastic job..!!!

Maybe this thread will get me to pull out a 2-8-2 kit that's been in "mothballs" for a couple of years and get cracking on it.... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
doctorwayne Wrote:That wheel arrangement wasn't too widely used, as far as I know, although the Norforlk & Western seemed to like them well-enough. Wink Goldth
[Image: Pennsylvaniatripphotos071.jpg]

Wayne

Ill say so Doc they list 286 of them in 3 classes with three additional sub classes for the N&W. only 10 roads ordered if the info i have is correct.

great looking build ,though love odd locos my self Steve.fyi the DL&W had 5 of them .
jim
I knew of the N&W Mastodons, and there were narrow gauge versions, but I hadn't heard of the CNJ's "herd" (they're Mastodons, they exist in herds). I'll have to look for
"Locomotive Valves and Valve Gears", by Yonder+Wharen, looks like it would be a very interesting addition to my "technical reference library".
Nice build-up, can't wait to see it complete, and know it runs well.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Pete here is the list of roads that had them new B&M 18, BR&P 46, CI&L 22, D&H 1,DM&IR 6,GN 60, MP 19, NYC 11 N&W 286 and N deM 6 also two roads had them as camelbacks CNJ 51 and DL&W 20 there were other roads the had some used mostly from N&W. Listings are from the Drury book.

jim
That engine sure looks neat. Looking forward to the rest of this project. Thumbsup
jim currie Wrote:Pete here is the list of roads that had them new B&M 18, BR&P 46, CI&L 22, D&H 1,DM&IR 6,GN 60, MP 19, NYC 11 N&W 286 and N deM 6 also two roads had them as camelbacks CNJ 51 and DL&W 20 there were other roads the had some used mostly from N&W. Listings are from the Drury book.
jim
Thanks Jim, I love it when I learn something new........D&H had 1.....Hmmmmm. I wonder if it had the extra wide Wootten firebox used on so many D&H locos? That might be worthy of a major kit/scratch bash project.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
fallen flags site has a photo of her and it would be a real chalange from the photo looks like it might be a watertube boiler with two sets of cylinders connected to the same driver and a strange looking set up on the tender. look it up you will love it .
jim

Pete found a bit of info on her built in 33 it had 500psi bolier pressure it was a four cylinder triple expansion coumpound 63 inch drivers the 6 wheel rear truck on the tender was fitted with a booster engine had a TE of 108,00 lb. no total weight was in the info. :o

PS sorry for hijacking you fine build thread E-Paw
I got the fireman's side put together,,,,And for the first time NO BINDS 2285_ Cheers Thumbsup Big Grin 357 35 . YEA!    

I cant say that I had the same luck with the other side. During erecting I broke the link Wallbang Curse Nope :o :evil: Eek . I tried to solder it back together and hopefully tomorrow I can file away the excess solder and re drill the hole.     Now on top of that I also ran out of rivets. I can get more rivets (I hope soon), but to find another link is unlikely to imposable(I hope the solder works). They came from some one's junk box and I had to modify them to work for this project. I don't think I'll have it repaired for Saturdays meet. but I'll take it any way.

No problem Jim I had no idea that there were other camelback 4-8-0's.
if this link will work PM me your address the link is .527 in long looks close to yours. also a hint i was told a long time ago about riviting valve gear was to put a piece of onion skin paper between the pices to be rivited it can be removed after by wetting it or heating it .
jim

Attached Files Image(s)