Buckeye Freight & Terminal
My Free lanced railroad story has been in development for a while and it also has some other fictional roads and other railroading entities that it will interact with. Unfortunately the BFT only has a botched up paint job on a gondola so far 35

The BFT Buckeye Freight & Terminal is more of a coal hauler based in South and Southeast Ohio and Eastern Kentucky. Along with the BFT are KCCC Kentucky coal & container Corp mostly unit trains of coal and old battered flats with containers for loads. An occasional Michigan Saginaw Union leasing car and rare loco will make an appearance on the BFT tracks. And then NERDS equipment makes a regular rounds of the line. Nerds(North Eastern Rail Department of Standards)

I have even thought of a few places names(fictional) HoggWeed, ORV jt. (Ohio river valley junction), possum holler, deerfoot crossing, coon creek. Green Frog Bog (a bar)

I need to come up with a back story and history of the rail road, so far all I have is a few names and vague idea of the type of scenery/setting I have in mind for the next layout as the current layout I am building is strictly a toy oriented layout featuring lionel and flyer hirail trains.
AF350...

You should definitely start off your own blog with some of this info. Creative writing (and the research on which it is based, if you are so inclined) are yet more enjoyable facets of this great hobby.

If you like, I can split off your post into the start of your own thread...!

Andrew

NOTE - Done 11 Aug 2010...! Wink
MasonJar Wrote:AF350...

You should definitely start off your own blog with some of this info. Creative writing (and the research on which it is based, if you are so inclined) are yet more enjoyable facets of this great hobby.

If you like, I can split off your post into the start of your own thread...!

Andrew

That would be great, sorry about the hijack of thread 35 always been fastenated Freelanced railroads.
My Free lanced railroad story has been in development for a while and it also has some other fictional roads and other railroading entities that it will interact with. Unfortunately the BFT only has a botched up paint job on a gondola so far

The BFT Buckeye Freight & Terminal is more of a coal hauler based in South and Southeast Ohio and Eastern Kentucky. Along with the BFT are KCCC Kentucky coal & container Corp mostly unit trains of coal and old battered flats with containers for loads. An occasional Michigan Saginaw Union leasing car and rare loco will make an appearance on the BFT tracks. And then NERDS equipment makes a regular rounds of the line. Nerds(North Eastern Rail Department of Standards)

I have even thought of a few places names(fictional) HoggWeed, ORV jt. (Ohio river valley junction), possum holler, deerfoot crossing, coon creek. Green Frog Bog (a bar)

I need to come up with a back story and history of the rail road, so far all I have is a few names and vague idea of the type of scenery/setting I have in mind for the next layout as the current layout I am building is strictly a toy oriented layout featuring lionel and flyer hirail trains.AF350
Conductor
The colors of the BFT are of course red and grey mostly but some revenue cars are basic black or Penn Central green with white, black or red lettering, herald is yet to be developed possibly outline of state with Buckeye leaf and nut or BFT superimposed on the outline of state. Revenue cars will be hoppers, gondolas, a few box cars and reefers and a couple of heavyduty four truck flats.

KCCC will be mostly coal unit trains and a few flats to carry some containers. KCCC has limited running rights on BFT trackage mostly from mines to main yard of BFT which will then take over and move them down the main line. KCCC is sorta based on the Onita and western unit train operations.

more later. Icon_lol
You're off to a great start! It's interesting to read about roads that (mainly) make their livings from one commodity only. I don't think any of the Canadian roads were configured this way. CPR and CNR (and predecessors) certainly hauled a lot of grain and timber out of the West, but they moved almost everything cross-country.

Andrew
The Onita and western was owned by a mine and was operated by the L&N crews and was referred to as the "green train". This is kind of the arrangement of KCCC with BFT and mine owners yet to be determined who they are. I want to be able to switch a mine or two and a holding yard and eventually an end customer, if I remember right there were some steel plants in Southeast Ohio.

My thoughts on the layout arrangement is 2x4 foot modules with mines at one end of layout and a big yard in the middle and customer at the opposite end. Oh and I plan on use S scale trains from American models and S-helper both make hirail and scale versions that both rival ho as far as details and just about any diesel you could think of kinda skimpy on steamers thou

Being this is a freelanced layout I will use creative license as far as motive power. Also the main will be single with passing sidings near each end and maybe 2 reverse loops for running thru freights and passenger trains. Big Grin Think I will play with some track configurations and see what I can come up with.
Small update played with the RTS software to try out some ideas for the modular approach and came up with 4 30"x8' modules including a Mine, passing sidings on a single main, a small loco facility, and a yard each having it own module. Still have to come up with the steel plant customer and maybe a power plant as well. My thoughts on the power plant and steel plant is that they should each have their own switcher loco. Will draw up a sketch of basic plan from mine to customer and post it later.As stated before it will be in S scale and take up about 40 or so feet as a point to point layout with optional reverse loops. Wrestling over what kind of command system to use AC w/TMCC or DC w/DCC. 24 Will use American models track and locos and rolling stock will be from American models and S-helper. Thumbsup
Wow this has been awhile back from the last post, I am still dreaming of the modular layout in S scale/gauge even as I am scratch building in O and S. The BFT has a sizable loco roster in HO and I am now able to try painting up a few undecorated S scale/gauge trains. The ho was for cheap practice painting.

The BFT will soon ride the rails in S gauge and not just on paper and in the imagination. As the HO test paints include several F-units and GP-units and one U-30c ?? I can more than likely copy into S the roster of the BFT. Will try to incorporate 4 switcher locos as well.

It may seem a bit ambitious but If I take it one module at a time it could be a realality in atleast 2 years? The problem would be storage as I want to make it portable.
Well I have been arm chair modeling and exercising my Imagination with fictional railroads and place names lately.

As previously mentioned the BFT is a go as I am ready to start up a loco roster in S scale and some rolling stock as well.

Here are some fictional railroad names I have thought up:
1)BFT Buckeye freight & terminal
2)ELF Erie lines freight
3)Msux Michigan Saginaw Union leasing
4)KCCC Kentucky Coal & container Corp
5)Hayseed & Hicksville (On30 box cars so far)
6)Rock bottom railroad
7)Amerifreight
8)Nerds North Eastern rail department of standards

Some place names
1)Busted flats
2)Hoggweed
3)Pebble stone
4)Roaring river
5)3 hills valley
6)Dusty bottoms
7)High water
8)Left fork branch
9)Deep water creek

Industries and commercial names

1)Rusty's auto body shop
2)Wet stone quarry
3)Plank's lumber company
4)Tim Burr & Buzz Saul saw mill
5)Tipsy bar & grill
6)Klean coal mining co
7)Green Frog Bog(bar)
8)Russell recycle and refuse
9) Lefty's dance studio
Took a big step forward and placed an order for some custom decals for the BFT herald 3 versions.
Here are the art work for the BFT heralds/logos

When the decals arrive will post a pic or two.
I just brought in the mail and I got my BFT decals 2285_

They turned out much better than I thought they would Applause Thumbsup Applause

Here are the First BFT Decals from Rail graphics:

Here is the first application of the BFT on a S gauge boxcar, soon to be followed up by an undec/no # or lettered lionel caboose O gauge.

Pic of caboose to come latter on this evening.
I took the caboose body off to clean it up a bit so the decals would stick better.