easy rock strata
I used this technique to make a river bank but it could be used anywhere you want to show rock stratta. the best part is that it is so EASY!! Materials needed: blue or pink foam, utility knife, paint. That's it.

First, carve the foam to the general shape you want:
[Image: Layout044.jpg]

Next use your knife to make horizontal slices in the foam. the more the merrier. After a while it will start to pull little pieces out (which is what you want) If the knife starts to "rip" the foam, change blades. It should look something like this:
[Image: Picture040small.jpg]

I used a dark brown paint first on the recessed areas and then a lighter tan color to highlight the surface areas:
[Image: Picture041small.jpg]

Other colors could be used like shades of gray:
[Image: Picture007.jpg]

You can also add sand, gravel,and greenery for a more finished look:
[Image: Picture011.jpg]

Finished scene:
[Image: photos414small.jpg]

Obviously there can be variations to the process....Sculptamold can be used here and there to blend it into the surroundings or cover the strata where ever you wish.

I hope you find this helpful Thumbsup
Steve
WHOA Steve!! I had no idea how easy that is to get an effect like that!! Well at least it sounds easy Misngth

It sure gives some GREAT rock effects!! That is a very nice "how-to", thanks Goldth Goldth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Very effective! The gray rocks would fit right in on my layout! Nicely done!
Ralph
Steve, great lil’ tutorial. Sounds very easy and looks fantastic Thumbsup . ......... when I see these pics, I can’t wait to see you starting to build your new layout.
Kurt
That brings back a few memories Steve. Cheers
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Josh, Ralph, Kurt....thank you guys Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Lynn....Old friend, you were one of the biggest missing pieces over at the old forum Thumbsup ....Are you going to post regularly? we need you!

I checked your layout thread................................ :jawdrop:

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!
Steve
cnw1961 Wrote:...when I see these pics, I can’t wait to see you starting to build your new layout.

Steve, WOW! Eek , SLAP STUPENDOUS JOB Worship , and GREAT TUTORIAL Thumbsup Thumbsup
I NEVER get tired of seeing your old layout Wink .

I also echo Kurts thoughts Wink :mrgreen: .
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Thank you Deano! Thumbsup
You may not be tired of seeing the old layout....but I sure am! I had always meant to post a tutorial on this at the old site but never got around to it. I think it would be a good technique to use for desert scenery especially.
Steve
Steve Wrote:Thank you Deano! Thumbsup
You may not be tired of seeing the old layout....but I sure am! I had always meant to post a tutorial on this at the old site but never got around to it. I think it would be a good technique to use for desert scenery especially.

you got that right Steve, i book marked this thread for whenever i may be doing rock faces and such next Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Josh........I know that you will excell at that as you have in everything else you have tried! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

btw...I saw the pic of you and your GF in the Mug shot thread........my only question:

how did such a beautiful girl end up with a bum like you? Eek Goldth Icon_lol Thumbsup
Steve
Steve Wrote:Josh........I know that you will excell at that as you have in everything else you have tried! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Thank-you Steve, that really means alot to me coming from a good friend like you :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Steve Wrote:btw...I saw the pic of you and your GF in the Mug shot thread........my only question:

how did such a beautiful girl end up with a bum like you? Eek Goldth Icon_lol Thumbsup

she is beautiful isnt she Misngth and i have no idea how it happened, but im so glad that it did, because she is my everything, and believe it or not, she comes before trains Eek Icon_lol Icon_lol :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Good man!....you have to have your priorities in order Thumbsup
Steve
Looks real good, have you ever used the woodland scenics rock molds? They aren't all that bad ether. If you do more lets see em.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
e-paw...I have never used WS rock molds but I have seen the excellent results that can be attained with them. Some time in the future I am sure that I will give them a try! Thumbsup As of right now, I have used 3 materials to model rock:

Blue foam (you have seen that in this tutorial)
Sculpta-Mold (love it)
Real rock (nothing looks more like a rock....than a rock! Goldth )

Take the last pic I posted as an example.....It has all three materials:

[Image: photos414labled.jpg]

I like to use Sculptamold because its naturally "uneven" finish is perfect for simulating rock, and it can be applied and shaped with a putty knife. it has a relatively long setup time so you have time to shape it the way you want.

90% of the rock work here is Sculptamold. Bolders are real rock and the cement footings are blue foam:

[Image: photos360small.jpg]

There are lots of ways to go about it and lots of materials to use......the fun part is finding what ones work best for you! Thumbsup
Steve
Steve, i remember seeing that picture from your old layout, im glad you posted it again, that is truly BEAUTIFUL work!! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Josh Mader

Maders Trains