American Filler Metals
Another Industry from Mykawa West: American Filler Metals - Supplier of welding rods and wire and such. The spur looks to be no longer in use at thiis time.

My photos concentrated on the railroad side of the building.. If anyone wants more of the front, I can get them.

[Image: googleview.jpg]

[Image: Metals01.jpg]

[Image: Metals02.jpg]

[Image: Metals03.jpg]

[Image: Metals04.jpg]

[Image: Metals05.jpg]
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Very nice...make a great "side scene" in a bigger layout as an abandoned or seldom used spur.
When were these pics taken, Gary. Do they still use a caboose in this area or were these shots taken before the cabosses were eliminated?
Nice refernce pics.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Russ, the photos were taken about 6 weeks ago. They still use the caboose, I suppose because they have to make long reverse moves across unprotected streets and roads. For example, where the train is sitting in the above shot, they would have had to back up across Mykawa Street which is a four lane (2 each side) road that is very busy. Although there are plenty of warning signs and paint on the highway, there are no barricade arms for the crossing. I have never seen a train make the crossing, but I assume a crewmember acts as a flagman / watchman to protect the crossing.

There are actually 2 Santa Fe cabooses in the area, but one of them is sitting in a team track and has yellow tags on it that say "condemned."
Gary S Wrote:Russ, the photos were taken about 6 weeks ago. They still use the caboose, I suppose because they have to make long reverse moves across unprotected streets and roads. For example, where the train is sitting in the above shot, they would have had to back up across Mykawa Street which is a four lane (2 each side) road that is very busy. Although there are plenty of warning signs and paint on the highway, there are no barricade arms for the crossing. I have never seen a train make the crossing, but I assume a crewmember acts as a flagman / watchman to protect the crossing.

There are actually 2 Santa Fe cabooses in the area, but one of them is sitting in a team track and has yellow tags on it that say "condemned."

Cool! I love it when I see a modern train using a caboose for whatever reason.
I've got more photos of the 2 cabooses. I'll post them when I get home tonight. And I agree, it is very cool that the BNSF still uses the caboose down here. Of course, i think they call it a "shoving" platform now, and they don't really do anything inside the caboose, it is just a convenient place for the crewmwn to ride during the switching duties.
All I could find of my caboose photos are the following:

999791 is being used, 999775 is "condemned". I would imagine it is going to get hauled off and scrapped. What a shame. :cry:

[Image: BACKGROUND08.jpg]

[Image: caboose99977502.jpg]

[Image: caboose99977503.jpg]
Gary, just a guess, but the Condemned sign may be because the car's been heavily vandalized (broken & missing windows/interior destruction of facilities & equipment), so the crews no longer could/would use it. Fixing it would have cost more than simply bringing in another (791), so the company parked it out of the way, 'til they need the track or decide to repair/dispose of it. Lubrication and brake certifications are probably out of date, so car/maint. will probably have to work it before it's moved...or get a crane/jacks and load it up on a flat or a tractor-trailer. If you'd like a neat fixer-upper camp/cabin/beach house, call the local claims agent and ask if it's for SALE - this could be GREAT ! Maybe a layout in a REAL CABOOSE ! Bob C.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Bob, thanks for the comments and thoughts. I had often thought that a caboose as a layout room would be awesome. I had half-heartedly considered buying a caboose when I saw an ad in Tains magazine. But instead, I am building a layout building as we speak.

There is a story on the net about a guy who did purchase a caboose and had it moved into his backyard. It's a pretty neat story, detailing his efforts through the purchase, then the shipping, and all the trials and tribulations he encountered. The moving costs were quite high.