ONE Year Old - 12-17-09
Well, here we are, celebrating Big Blue being a year old already!!

Yes, it’s been a year,,, Big Grin Today. December 17, 2009, Big Blue, the latest version of “The Gauge” is One Year old…

Why do we have Big Blue in the first place? You may ask. Well, a lot of us remember what the original Gauge forums were like, lots a blue, lots of friendly conversations, lots of good stuff to learn from and lots of pictures to see what other people were doing. There were not ads to contend with, just lots of good advice and lots of friends hanging out with other friends who had a common passion for railroading. Well, over the past two years, that situation slowly eroded so that we could not take it anymore, we missed our old Gauge and we wanted it back. Both of us, Don (ezdays) and Mikey (ngauger) knew what we wanted but didn't have the technical expertise to put it together in a timely manner, so we were able to convince Pat (Path) to join us and do the dirty work.

We were able to resurrect the old blue and we even found a copy of the old Gauge and a color sample so that Pat could make our new forums closely resemble what we once had.After we had the format and colors down, we then needed to build a staff, so we invited all our old moderators to join us. Just about every one of them did including some that left us over these two years because of the changes that were being implemented at our old place. We then asked some members to join us. We looked to the people that we knew and felt comfortable around and knew how to contact, without causing chaos at the old place. We didn't want to ignore anyone, but we couldn't ask everyone since it was a tedious task getting in touch with so many people. Not to worry, the word got around and we were amazed at how quickly the membership rolls grew.We expected maybe 50 members the first day, we got almost 150. We figured 25 to 50 posts to start with, we consistently got 100 and then some. Big Blue was a success from the start because it's what you all wanted, and we plan on keeping it that way.

We designed Big Blue to be a fall back and tribute to the Bulletin Board, that we all enjoyed in 2002 when we could all come in and chat, spend time looking at pictures, drop a post or 2 in the coffee pot (now the Hobo’s Camp) and just trade stories, help out on another member’s problems or just read posts and relax and escape the tedium’s of everyday life.

We further decided on opening day; December 17th, 2008 since it was when the first members joined the original board in 2000. We both remember that day, it was amazing and we were nonstop on our computer the entire day. In the past year, we have had many contests and we also have our first “Big Blue E-mag online. Thanks again to all who contributed!!!

Well, now we have a great amount of pictures, comments, member’s thoughts and weather reports in a fun place to spend some time without too much bother.

We encourage all members to stop in to the chat room most every night around 11:00 Eastern time 8:00 Pacific and say hello. Also, visit the Shutterbug section as well as the hobo’s camp. There are lots of great things to be found all around the forum.

We’d like to thank all members and our Moderators, for making Big Blue a fun place to visit every day!!! It’s a tribute to all members and the way they conduct themselves here that make it all worth while!

Happy 1st birthday!!! 548
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
I want to say thanks to everyone who played a part in starting the original Gauge and the new one. Also, thanks for making it easy to donate to the cause. To me, The Gauge is better than a hobby magazine subsription!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
I want to say thank you to all my e-friends who have helped keep me sane in the last six months of chaos. It's been a great place to "get away from it all" and focus on good things - trains!

I won't list all my problems of the last six months but everyone here has helped more than I could ever tell you. Thank you, Don and Mikey, for resurrecting The Gauge and thank you to all the members for participating.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
To say that we're pleased the way things have gone this past year would be an understatement. I cannot think of the right word to describe our feelings about what this past year here on Big Blue has meant to both Mikey and me and, of course, all the moderators as well. We hope we have provided the means for interacting with good friends and talking about more than just the thing that brought us together, our desire to be good modelers and our love for the railroads. We have grown at a faster pace than what we anticipated, and we only have you all to thank for that. We thank you all, and especially those that have donated over the past year. Believe me, it really helps. We strive to keep our forums free from the influences of big business and we plan on sticking around for a long time.

Thank you again, one and all, for your support by being here and for the help, information and pictures that you've all chosen to share with us. Cheers
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Sure is nice to be here! That year went by quickly! Looking forward to many more!!
2285_ 2285_ 2285_ 2285_
Ralph
Great job and thanks to all the staff at big blue.It's been a great year over here. but Ngauger you left out one thing,     our little day out. Thanks to all that attended, we'll have to do it again, how about the east broad top? Big Grin
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

I never saw him before in my life!!!!!!!

Misngth Misngth Misngth Misngth Too Cool!!! Thanks for posting that Smile

Yeah - maybe EBT this year Smile Smile We have to get to see Livesteamer's layout sometime anyway Smile Smile Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

ngauger Wrote:Yeah - maybe EBT this year Smile Smile We have to get to see Livesteamer's layout sometime anyway Smile Smile Smile
We're down for that 219
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
Big Blue - the best place to be. Period.

And thanks to the hard work of the folks that keep this going, there's no better place to read and share information about this hobby.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Happy B-Day Big Blue.

Well, I didn't paint myself Blue that day as I planned, but I did wear a blue thong to commemorate the occasion.

....aren't you glad you invited me along? 357 357 357
tetters Wrote:Happy B-Day Big Blue.

Well, I didn't paint myself Blue that day as I planned, but I did wear a blue thong to commemorate the occasion.

....aren't you glad you invited me along? 357 357 357
ROFL!!! Please NO pictures!!!!! Eek
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75