absolutely powerless...
...and I'm also absolutely clueless. I have an electrical problem. I have good output from my MRC Tech II 2400 power supply unit all the way (2' max.) to my first turnout. And halfway through it. Then...nothing. The voltmeter drops to zero. I have replaced all track that might be doubtful. I replaced the turnout with a brand new Atlas turnout. Still, nothing. What to do???
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
I would venture to guess it is the frog. Is the frog of the turnout insulated? You may need to install a jumper or another set of feeders to the other side of the turnout.
-Dave
Is this turnout leading to a stub track (dead end..)?? If so, you will need a jumper to the rail connected to the frog. Does it do it on both routes of the turnout..??
Gus (LC&P).
[Image: turnout-wiring-left.gif]

http://www.handlaidtrack.com/tech-turnout-wiring-l.php

Depending on the manner in which you choose to throw your points this wiring diagram might help. Sounds like no power is getting to the rails beyond the frog.
I'm also an electrical dummy (as opposed to the manually-operated type) but I do recall that the Atlas book on wiring states that the power feed must be from the points end of the turnout. With Atlas turnouts, all routes are powered at all times...well, at least they should be. Misngth

Wayne
Which type of Atlas turnout? Where is the feed - point or frog end? There are 3 wiring systems. Snap switches are live throughout, all 6 tracks. All-rail turnouts (are they still made? used to be in switch kits) short where the points are against a line if you are feeding from that line. Plastic frogs have dead rail on the frog side where the points are against it and don't short.
If the connectors go in the middle you can lose power that way, but it shouldn't happen to 2 switches.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Everybody, thanks!! What really has me puzzled is that it was running fine one evening, and then, after not being run for a couple of days, (my heater needed a new wick,) it just flatly refused to run at all. I have replaced most of my track, well, all that isn't flextrack, and triple checked the connections, even to the point of replacing all the joiners. Could it be that my contoller is too cold, at times, to power the rails? The temp gets down to below 50 degrees, when the heater isn't being used.
Carl, It sounds like a joint problem. How many feeder wires to the track do you have. If you don't soldier every joint you could have a whole section that is dead, and if only one set of feeders, you may be powering the whole layout even with one bad connection. The problem comes when you have 2 or more bad connections(joints) causing an entire section of track to be dead, and you may be powering the switch from the other end. Checkto see if this is the case. You could use a lighted car and roll it around to see if you have a dead section.
Happy New Year
Charlie
To add one more thing, The Temprature could be a problem, but not with the powerpack, but with the track. When the track contracts it can cause movement in the joints.
Charlie
Okay, mystery still unsolved....but... I replaced several sections of track, and replaced the wire from power unit to track, (I had been using 14ga. wire, but don't remember why.) I'm now using single solid core wire, Eek and I also wired everything through an Atlas controller. And Glory be!!!!...my trains run, again!! Thanks for everyone's advice and tips!! I truly do appreciate them!! Big Grin
Just wondering ... after all this time, either you've got the problem solved and your railroad is operating again ... or ... you've given up the hobby alltogether and you don't even visit here any more. I'm curious ... :?: :?:
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln