Encoat Pipe
Here is another industry in the south part of Houston. The spur comes off the "mainline" leading into the southern end of the BNSF Mykawa yard. The spur drops about 12 feet in oh, say, 200 feet, which is a substantial drop. I assume that the industry does coating on pipe. I've seen flat cars loaded down with pipe coming out of the spur.

Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times

That is a fabulous shot of the track work. It looks like a bloody roller coaster coming off there! 357
12' in 200' - a 17% grade?
That does look like a serious drop! They could hump cars on it. Smile

I like the industry. There are so many industrial structures shaped like that. A model would immediately please any observer who would think, "Yeah, I've seen buildings like that!".

I'm looking at those large curved vents and thinking segments of bendable soda straws....

Ralph
MountainMan Wrote:12' in 200' - a 17% grade?

That is just my guess. The mainline appearred to be about 12 feet above the ground level of the industry. The spur looked to be around 200 feet long to where it flattened out. Maybe it is only 10 feet in 300 feet? You know how them wild guesses go. :?
I just google-earthed it and used the ruler function. From the main to the flat part of the spur is around 350 feet. It definitely drops 10 feet at least... that part is still one of them wild guesses edumacated type ya know.
Google Earth images. This place is much much larger than I imagined, having seen it only from one side.

That's a jim dandy industry..I would use 1/2" buildings along the back drop for depth with lots of pipes ready for shipping.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Gary, neat industry! I think that green coating is an anti-corrosive coating. The fact that the pipe goes in with a coat of surface rust and comes out green indicates that you got the product description right. Have you ever seen the railroad working that industry? I'm wondering what size and how many locomotives do they use to switch out that place? Also do the locomotives go down that drop off, or do they use a bunch of freight cars as a handle to keep the locomotives on the level? I'm thinking that the locomotives would probably get better traction on the level rather than trying to start a train from a stop on such a steep grade.
WHOA! Now thats an Industry I would like to model. Pipes, Pipes, and more Pipes! Thanks for sharing Gary, have bookmarked this thread for viewing later on if im ever searching for an industry to model Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Josh, I've got a lot more industries to post in the future, just need to find the time.

Russ, I have never seen the industry being worked, but have seen flat cars on the spur and flat cars with the green pipe in the Mykawa yard. I would have to guess that they don't back a loco down that grade, meaning using other cars as a handle.

On the google earth images, you can see some flat cars on the spur.