Bourbon Whiskey Distillery
Ken;

Here is a schematic diagram of a shelf layout I have proposed for a friend with limited space and who wants to model the Frankfort and Cincinnati Railroad. Reporting marks: FCIN.

[Image: fcinlayout.jpg]

He has a couple of Bachmann GE 70 ton locomotives that another fellow painted and lettered for him, so he's off to a good start. He's also expressed interest in doing a layout in N Scale, but no GE 70 tonners available in N scale (at this time anyway) and using ALCo's S-2's or an S-4 would be past the time that the Buffalo Springs Distillery existed - not to mention the FCIN running to Georgetown (track through here was abandoned after 1970 and before the ALCo's arrived on the scene). But of course you could use "Modelers License" and use the ALCo's anyway!

As much as he'd like to try and model the entire FCIN line between Frankfort and Georgetown (pretty much impossible) - I suggested that he do a "scene" with the distillery and track at Stamping Ground as the main feature. His available space requires a shelf type layout and is roughly 23 feet with a 10 foot length on one end and a 12 length on the other where he could put narrow staging tracks. One or both of these could even be removable so as to not tread into his wife's "No Train Zone". Since the Buffalo Springs Distillery is what I term "Model Railroad Size" - it should work pretty well.

My idea for operating this a layout would be to stage Train No. 40 on the Frankfort end (right side of drawing). The train would leave staging and arrive at Stamping Ground. Then pick up and set off any cars in the train for the distillery and the occasional team track shipment. The train would then leave the scene and go into the Georgetown staging area. A little while later, Train No. 41 would return from Georgetown and do some more switching at Stamping Ground, then leave the scene in to the Frankfort Staging.

If I didn't have room for the staging at each end, I'd have the train come into the scene from the Frankfort end, do all the switching then return to staging as if it were a "turn" coming from Frankfort. On the real F&C, there was a night time train that only switched the two major distilleries in Frankfort (National and Schenley), so if the Buffalo Springs Distillery had continued in operation, who's to say that this train wouldn't have gone the additional 8 miles or so past Old Grand Dad to Stamping Ground too.

You can always arrange the track plan so that the staging end would be Frankfort, regardless of which end of the layout your staging track was located. You would have to have enough room past the Stamping Ground siding to be able to run around your train. A couple of car lengths should do nicely.

Note that switching the distillery coming from Frankfort and continuing on to Georgetown, would require a lot of moves to get your cars in and out of the distillery and lined up in your train. But you could just set out your distillery cars in the Stamping Ground siding and switch the distillery on the return trip from Georgetown. In that case, any cars pulled from the distillery that were destined for Georgetown, would have to be left in the Stamping Ground siding to be picked up the following day - not the best situation on the prototype, but it did happen that way from time to time. Of course cars spotted at the distillery must be placed in the proper locations. And with a pretty good variety of equipment there's a lot of operating potential for this small layout.

I put two tracks in each staging area, mainly for car and/or engine storage, but a single track would work just as well. In N Scale, you could keep the same overall dimensions, giving you a longer run or if necessary, reduce the overall dimensions. Trains would be short - no more than 5 or 6 cars would be typical, and of course if the train was "passing through" Stamping Ground, it would include through cars destined to either Georgetown or Frankfort. Such through traffic would even include 89 foot piggy back cars moving between Frankfort, Georgetown and Paris! Yes, piggy back cars!

Coal hoppers would always come from and go back to the Frankfort staging, but box cars would come from either direction. Covered hoppers of grain could also come from either direction if desired, although in reality most grain would come from the Frankfort end. Car loads of case whiskey; feed; empty whiskey barrels or as I mentioned in the previous post, loaded with whiskey in barrels could go out in either direction. In Stamping Ground proper, there was a coal dealer that got an occasional load of coal and of course you could have a car of "general merchandise" set off there from time to time too. Some possible loads might be a "once in a blue moon" load of farm machinery, or a box car or covered hopper load of fertilizer and box or flat cars of lumber. Stamping Ground was/is a very small community, but any of these would be believable loads for this community.

Buildings for the distillery could be "kitbashed" from available model structures and would give you the overall "feel" of the real distillery. The bonded warehouse in the drawing was a metal sheathed building about 3 stories tall. The bottling/case house was a one story brick building with a loading dock next to the track and canopy over the dock. It held two 50 foot cars. Off hand, I have no suggestions for building kits that could be used, but I'm sure a little looking around would yield appropriate looking structures. The main distillery building could also be brick if desired as most of the distilleries around here were brick for the most part.

As for motive power, the F&C had 3 GE 70 ton locomotives that it purchased new (early Phase I models) Nos. 100, 101 and 102, and later acquired 2 more from the Montpelier & Barre Railroad (Nos. 20 and 21) that remained lettered for that Pinsly line, until they left the property. All of the 70 tonners faced West (railroad direction South) and most of the time, trains 40 and 41 would have 2 of them for power, because of the 2.5% grade out of Frankfort. I'm not aware of any one that does decals for the F&C, but I do believe that decal sets for the M&B locomotives are available. In their original paint scheme, the locomotives where lettered "FRANKFORT & CINCINNATI". When the Pinsly scheme was applied to them (during 1962) they were then lettered "FRANFORT AND CINCINNATI RR", the "AND" in small letters that were placed diagonally.

Hum? I'd consider doing a layout like this myself, except that there are some other short lines that interest me and I've acquired a small fleet of Bachmann GE 45 ton loco's for my future layout. Of course, I could model something like this but freelance the railroad and location. Oh boy, idea's, idea's!

Ed
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Ed

Thank you so much for sharing all this information, you have answered the questions I put to you and a few I was just thinking about. The photo may be poor quality but you can make out what is happening and I have yet to come across any pictures of the line in action

I am committed to another railroad but now feel inspired to model something of the whiskey route. The plan yu have prepared looks good but like many U.K modellers I have very little space - no problem just makes for an interesting challenge.

What a great start to the week

Best wishes
Ken
Ken;

Very pleased that I was able to provide the info and hope this will inspire others to do something along this theme.

Although I have "ample" space for my model railroads, I tend to try and model something on the small side or at least operations that can be scaled down and not overwhelm me. I haven't done much model railroading at all the past few years, so now that I'm retired, I'm getting back in to it.

It occurs to me that an operation like the Buffalo Springs Distillery could be done in the Ingle Nooks fashion too. Something for you to think about, although I'm sure you've already thought of that.

Feel free to contact me when and if you desire further information.

Regards,
Ed
Ed
Ed

I have been studying the photo you posted and it sontains lots of useful details. Checking it against the plan you posted originally, the train is on the low trestle, so behind we see the main distilllery and twin chimneys of the power house to the right. Then to the left that must be the elevator, just as you have described it.

As you say what this offers is a real variety of stock, each car needing to be spotted in the right place - the buildings can be kit-bashed. Your railroader's insight and experience of having switched the full size version is invaluable to making a model 'feel' right.

I am looking at a variation of the ingle-nook design, what we call over here a tuning fork, so the running line is part of the scheme, with a spur either side.

Ken
Ed,First thank you for all your priceless employee information on the F&C. Thumbsup

While I like your prototypical design Thumbsup I have three questions.

Let's say I wanted to go a step farther and add a yard and maybe the National or Schenley distillery.

1.Was there a yard in Frankfurt? If so was there a engine house?

2.If so,was the National or Schenley distillery close by?
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
I like your diagrams for the distillery, it looks like a pretty neat industry to model. I've bookmarked this thread in case im ever looking for something like this for a future module or part of a future layout, thanks for sharing Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Larry;

To answer your questions -

1 - Yes there was indeed a yard in Frankfort. It was a join L&N/F&C yard. The F&C had a 3 stall concrete block combined shop/office at the yard. In earlier years, they had a turntable there too.

2 - National Distillers Old Grand Dad distillery was located about 5 miles East of Frankfort on the "main" line to Georgetown. Old Grand Dad was considerably larger than the Buffalo Springs Distillery and located on a long spur off the main line. In the final years of operation of the F&C the line ended at Elsinore (Forks of Elkhorn) about a mile past the Grand Dad spur. The line from that point to Georgetown having been abandoned.
Schenley (Ancient Age Bourbon) was located at the end of a separate 2 mile branch of the F&C in Frankfort. That spur paralleled the Frankfort to Georgetown (Elsinore) main line East for about a mile, then made a turn to the West to reach Stagg where the massive Schenley plant was located. The tracks at Schenley would make a layout in itself.

Over the years, myself and several other people I know have made vain attempts at modeling the F&C, but my personal feelings about it would be you'd have to just pick out a portion of the line to try and model. The line from Frankfort to Stagg would be my choice, but you're still looking at something pretty large.

Some information about the F&C can be found here: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.abandonedrails.com/article.asp?id=315">http://www.abandonedrails.com/article.asp?id=315</a><!-- m -->
Although the map included in that article does not show the Stagg line.

You might want to try this link for a Topo map of Frankfort:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://msrmaps.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=11&Z=16&X=1715&Y=10574&W=3&qs=|frankfort|ky|">http://msrmaps.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=11& ... nkfort|ky|</a><!-- m -->
You can see the general arrangement of the L&N/F&C yard (even shows the turntable still there) and you can follow the line out to Stagg or up the hill to Elsinore to get an overall feel for the route of the railroad.

Ed
Ed
I found this photo, which shows the building material used and also some idea of the proportions

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=6026543&size=lg">http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=6026543&size=lg</a><!-- m -->]

Ken
Ken;

That photo is a pretty good find. Obviously taken as the distillery was being torn down. You're looking at it from the east side away from where the track was located, but it clearly shows the small grain elevator. I've had a time trying to find any photos of the distillery before demolition began on it and so far no luck. A friend of mine says he also took some photos of it when it was being demolished, but hasn't located them yet. I'm hoping his photos may show more.

Ed
Ed
Thanks Ed

I think a lot of these photos were taken more because it must have looked like an unusual subject as it was being demolished. Be good to find some more of it in earlier times.

I have been looking at available stock in HO and notice that Accurail do a couple of 40' box cars decorated for the L & N that are blue. Do you know when they started painting box cars blue? I have a Branchlines L & N box car that is box car red and was wondering what time frame the blue cars would work.

Ken
Thanks Ed..The reason I was asking I thinking along the lines one could model the F&C in its full glory to include Paris and Georgetown.Of course I am talking basement size.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Removed by poster.
Larry;

Yep, trying to model the F&C from Frankfort to Georgetown and on to Paris would certainly be basement sized! I have an area in my basement that is 36 feet long by 14 feet wide and a there is also a bedroom size area off that about 14 feet by 12 feet and I don't see any way that I could model the complete F&C. The line between Frankfort and Georgetown did have all most all the "important" stuff on it and could probably be done, if you could layout the bench work so that that industry spurs branched off the main line in the correct direction. You'd just have to include the 185 foot high Bridge No. 3 on the line as it climbed the hill out of Frankfort! Major scenic feature!
[Image: bridge3.jpg]

Ken;

The blue/yellow paint scheme started appearing on L&N equipment around 1960/1961 (not 100% positive on the date). Doesn't appear to be many models of L&N equipment around (never has been as I recall), but that blue/yellow paint on some equipment would be fine from around 1961 on through the CSX takeover. Kadee has produced a model of one the L&N 50 foot cushioned underframe box cars that is perfect for case whiskey shipping:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.kadee.com/ca/50ps1/6322l.htm">http://www.kadee.com/ca/50ps1/6322l.htm</a><!-- m -->
I have one of those myself, but at $34.95 USD a piece, I don't plan on getting any more of them! Similar cars owned by other railroads were common around here too.
The 240,000 (full height ladders) and 241,000 (short ladders) ACF centerflow covered hoppers used by the L&N have been done in years past and are a simple paint job. I'm pretty sure that decals for L&N box cars, covered and open hoppers are readily available.

MountainMan;

Good photo of the front of the main distillery building at Old Taylor. I'm intimately familiar with both the Old Taylor and Old Crow distilleries too. From a modeling aspect, Old Taylor would probably be the more interesting one to model, as cars were spotted on several different tracks there. At Old Crow, there were two tracks side by side, each 1400 feet in length with a crossover about mid-point and everything was spotted for loading/unloading on these two tracks. Lot of switching involved to get everything spotted where needed though. Each distillery had its own unique track arrangements, and as I've mentioned, varied from a single track to several tracks.

Ed
Ed
Ed,What a bridge! You are correct..One would need to model that bridge.

As a side note..Unlike those 2 hardly souls riding on the front of that Alco I would rather be in the cab while crossing that bridge. Icon_lol

BTW..I am a short line fanatic.

I love 'em because just like Lucius Beebe said they're a down home thing.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Ed

Thanks for clarifying blue box cars.

Found these photos of the site and they show more of the buildings. Hopefully someone can translate German

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bourbon-whiskey.de/c_buffalosprings.html">http://www.bourbon-whiskey.de/c_buffalosprings.html</a><!-- m -->

By the way was Buffalo Springs on a straight run or did the line curve at all?

Ken