Charlie b's layout
Nice idea Charlie! Looks quite convincing on that truck.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
sailormatlac Wrote:Nice idea Charlie! Looks quite convincing on that truck.

Matt
Did I mention "cheap" too. Just try finding wheels and tires for HO vehicles. I hit on this after months of thought from buttons to sequins, though the sequins will make wheel covers some where down the road. I got almost four feet of hose for a buck, but I think normal price is 60 cents a foot.
Charlie
Charlie B Wrote:
sailormatlac Wrote:Nice idea Charlie! Looks quite convincing on that truck.

Matt
Did I mention "cheap" too. Just try finding wheels and tires for HO vehicles. I hit on this after months of thought from buttons to sequins, though the sequins will make wheel covers some where down the road. I got almost four feet of hose for a buck, but I think normal price is 60 cents a foot.
Charlie

Charlie, I recently thought about casting Mini Metal Classic truck wheels in resin, but you can't beat the price of your technic if lots of tires are needed (and less messy, and already the right color). That would be a neat detail to add to any scrap yard.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
Matt, it's lots faster than casting them too. It wouldn't be bad if you could cast a hundred at a time, and you might be able to use play dough or clay for a mold for that many, but I can't even think of the work involved making that many latex or silicone molds. With the dowel and hose you can easily make dual wheels too.

I wouldn't mind buying plastic cars and trucks for a couple bucks each, and for modern eras you can go to Dollar stores or Walmart and get bunches of them cheap that work well for background fillers, but the prices the manufacturers are asking are more than a good railcar kit. I have lots of time, not so much money... Icon_lol
Charlie
Great idea, Charlie. Thumbsup Thumbsup I've got some trucks with old-style solid tires that could use modernisation, once I get some free time.

Wayne
Charlie,

Your layout looks incredible!!

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
Thanks Matt.
I haven't done much since the first of this year but should be able to get back at it the first of November. Going north next month for a 10 day train watching and fishing trip, then I plan on helping my boy with his house for a week or so after that, then there will be October railfanning. November should be the time to get back at it.
I do go out and run trains at least twice a week.
Charlie
Here are a few different views. Tennis anyone?     The local in the hole for the commuters.     Tied up at the crossings     A garage was important for a traveling salesman, cars were not very secure and if garage kept you didn't have to take everything to your room for safe keeping.    
The tennis court looks great.
Reinhard
Drainage ditches along the road! There's something most of us don't think to add! Nice detail!
Ralph Wrote:Drainage ditches along the road! There's something most of us don't think to add! Nice detail!
Well they weren't much, but the township just cleaned them out. Goldth
Actually there is a very sad story about these ditches (The prototype). Our senior class treasurer ran into one in the fog (15 miles an hour) and was killed when the steering column crushed his chest.
Charlie
Nice pics, sorry to hear about your classmate.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
It was a shock to all of us. We had no experience with death and the loss of a classmate was tragic. We lost a few more to accidents and Nam a few years after graduation. I lost 3 close personal friends to auto accidents before I was 25. It makes you think.
Charlie
Hi there,
wow,this is an impressive big railroad empire.And the spped of progress is also fantastic.There are so much nice scenes all around the tracks.Have read the thread from page 15 to the end this night....It´s really amazing. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Your vehicle castings are great and with some paint and details will be very nice looking on your streets...
Some time ago I made some castings from Athearn wheels and tires for some projects...

Keep up the great work.

Cheers,Chris
Building the BC-Rail Dawson Creek Subdivision in H0 scale http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=7835
Thanks for the kind words Chris. The layout is in a holding pattern right now because II have just too many other projects that need completed.
Plenty of time for layout work over the winter.
Charlie