Charlie b's layout
I've kind of been in limbo here, the weather turned cold and rainy, and we even had snow on Friday. It did warm up enough yesterday and I was able to get some paint on the siding before I nail it up. Maybe today I can get more done.
Charlie
Okay. I understand how the bad weather can impact a project. Quite frustrating when you're in a hurry.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
I've had a couple of good days, The siding is done except for nailing the bottom row all around, I left it loose in case I decide to skirt up under it, and the upper ends need to have the siding installed too.
The inside is ready to put some material out of the way, and a good cleaning. Both doors, and one window is installed, and the second window is framed.
All the siding has one coat of oil based paint, even though I used 2 different colors, I bought some closeout paint that was top quality, but discontinued, and mixed it together. I used over 10 gallons to paint 44 sheets of T1-11 with that first coat, but the next coat shouldn't take near that much.
I have the material for the trim and I have to make door and window frames. The walls will be 9 5/8 inches thick when finished.

Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)

WOW, Charlie...you're working harder than you had to on the Kiski Junction !!! Thought you had "Retired"? (but I guess the [i]motivation[/i] makes all the difference !) Everything looks well thought out and conscientiously executed - just as we expected - WAY TO GO ! ! ! Cheers Bob C.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
That's quite a project you got there.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Charlie, I am impressed with how quickly it is going up, and it looks fantastic. And I see that I should have used trusses like you did! Thanks for sharing the photos, and I'm looking forward to more progress.

Thumbsup
I think I would be farther along if my help hadn't all disappeared. Icon_lol It's raining here today so I'll work inside and maybe take advantage and rest up.
I'll have to use up the rest of the material that came with the "kit" (the soffit, and fascia), then I have to allow the finances to recoup a bit so I can wire and insulate.
I will go with romex wiring (unless Gary wants to come and run conduit) and I'm going to avoid having outlets on the outside walls so I wont have holes in the drywall to let the air in. We have a slightly higher incidence of cold weather here Goldth . There will be two inside walls running down the center of each "leg" of the layout and I'll run wire down and under the layout there with outlets under the edge of the layout .
Charlie
Boy, Charlie, you're making great progress on the layout building. Thumbsup Thumbsup You mentioned putting skirting around the base of the building: probably a good idea, as you don't need to run an animal shelter for skunks, racoons, and opossums. Icon_lol

Wayne
I have enough stainless steel to do the job, but as you said in another thread, it is a bear to cut. However, I do know a place that can cut it to size for me with a shear. Misngth
Charlie
Charlie B Wrote:I will go with romex wiring (unless Gary wants to come and run conduit) and I'm going to avoid having outlets on the outside walls so I wont have holes in the drywall to let the air in. We have a slightly higher incidence of cold weather here Goldth . There will be two inside walls running down the center of each "leg" of the layout and I'll run wire down and under the layout there with outlets under the edge of the layout .

Good ideas. Nothing wrong with Romex at all. I suppose the only real reason I used conduit is that I haven't been a construction electrician for about 10 years so I kind of miss that, and <Forrest Gump voice> I just felt like running. (Running conduit, that is).
Charlie, how are things going?
Just working on minor things like the trim and skirting, trying to make a little more room inside by using up material.
It seems like all of my crew has disappeared. My grandson that was going to help got a part time job and is back in school so it has drastically cut his time but My wife did some trim painting yesterday.
I have an early dentist appointment, but I got the grass cut yesterday, so maybe I can do the lower window trim later today.
This picture is from the other day. The skirting is stainless steel, so never a rust problem, but what a bear to drill. I still have to drill a few more holes to screw some of the joints tighter, but I'm satisfied with the outcome so far. We have a lousy weather forecast so I may get caught up on my rest Misngth
Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)

Wow Charlie, that is some great progress. The building looks good, as does the skirting. How thick is it? You're right, the stainless can be tough on drill bits.

Oh, I also see that the pups are calling to you "take our picture too!"
Charlie, your trainatorium looks great and that stainless steel skirting is an excellent way to keep the critters out. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
WOW Charlie---everything looks outstanding but do you think the door is large enough to get the Alco inside Confusedhock:

[Image: 2009penn1001.jpg]