Charlie b's layout
Charlie B Wrote:Dear Russ,
Thanks for the input. The flooring I am refering to is an interlocking rubber floor that looks like diamond plate. You just lay it without any glue and if you need to change a section you just lift them out. They are 2x2 feet. I will probably just use them in the asileways which will cut down on the amount I'll have to buy. We found them at Big Lots and they were 4 for 12 bucks or 6 for 15 bucks. (easy to cut too.)
We put them down in the railroad office before I left and they are a real treat for these old feet to walk on, and were very easy to vaccumn.
Charlie

Yeah, I know the stuff your talking about. When I semi-retired (completely retired now), I set up a Dodge Dakota with a camper shell for a service truck. I got those mats, cut out around the fenders, and put them down on the floor of my truck to give me something soft to crawl on when I need to get something out of the front of the truck bed.
Well here is the Friday update.
My son has a friend that builds these buildings for a living so he brought him uo so I could pick his brain. I asked him what he would charge to do the framing and roofing and the price was so good that I just decided to let him do that. I would have almost as much in post hole auger rental, and he has the transit and other equipment to do it easily. He will be here Tuesday to start, and the forecast is for beautiful weather.
I also decided to put the building where I originally wanted it, which is on the North side of the house and lots closer so I won't have near the trouble running wiring to the building.
Charlie
Not to  rush things, but here is a rough track plan. Part of the layout will represent the town I grew up in as it was in the 50's. It takes a lot of compression, and some adjustment, but I think it will be just fine, and there are lots of interesting things, There are team tracks, a coal dealer, lumber, glass shop, truck dealer, wholesale grocery distributor, A&P store, pottery, brewery, and a Coca Cola bottling plant on the branch line that served the town, and I am lucy enough to have the Sanborn maps and lots of pictures to help. All that's left is enough life to put her together.
      I'm not real good with the xtrkcad program but I'm sure you can get a rough idea. for those of you that know the program and have downloaded it I have included it too.  EDIT: THE FINAL LAYOUT IS SIMILAR, BUT NOT EXACT. 
Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)

.xtc   wilderson layout3.xtc (Size: 43.47 KB / Downloads: 76)
Looking good Charlie---you'll be running trains before you know it Thumbsup
I figure about the first of November I should be able to make the "Loop"
Charlie
so this will be freestanding benchwork instead of a shelf layout?
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Gary S Wrote:so this will be freestanding benchwork instead of a shelf layout?
Yes, with access all around, farthest from the edge will be 3 1/2 feet, a far stretch, but just for scenery. no trackage. My current layout is about the same way, except there is a duck-under to get to the operating area. This will be with DCC and walkaround throttles. Minimum mainline radius will be 36 inches because I like the big PRR locomotives and the long coaches.
Charlie
Are you totally opposed to the duck-unders or removable bridges? Are you totally against an "around the walls" layout? It seems you could get more layout in your room by using the walls. I'm just throwing ideas at you. Smile
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Actually you don't gain all that much , you have two door openings and without duck unders there is no way to use it. I'm building the building so I have the Island layout with wide radius curves. I try to be at least 42 inch min. on main line curves, even though I may end up with some 36 in. and when you do that against a corner there is a lot of wasted area in the back that is really hard to reach. I also worry about access should I get to the point I was having any more problems getting around. I do fine now but hard to tell if my legs will be OK in several years, although I will say, getting away from walking on the railroad ballast has been a major improvement.
I also have many friends that will be joining me for operating sessions and getting around will be much easier, especially when the baby is over 40. Icon_lol
Charlie
Charlie, your plan looks great to me. I like the space for the large yard, the provision for continuous running, and the long branch to that town/industrial park.
I like having trains run but also enjoy switching. I'd be working that town's spurs while a continuously running long freight was on the main. I tried to create something like that with my layout so there would be a lot of action even with just one person operating.

Ralph

PS...I HATE duckunders and will NEVER EVER design a layout with one again. I reworked my original layout after getting quite sick of scraping my back.
Ralph Wrote:PS...I HATE duckunders and will NEVER EVER design a layout with one again. I reworked my original layout after getting quite sick of scraping my back.

If I wanted to duck under something, I would go into the attic Shoot . To each his own, though.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Charlie, I think I see what you're aiming at - and it's brilliant. You're going to have a challenging to build and scenic representation of a real chunk of the world - one that really means something to you - and of an operating rail system with Mainline, Yard and Industrial focal points...and a reasonable build time-frame. Congrats on arriving at this plan, and organizing the facility and resources to make it go. I'm also sure your many friends can be "coerced" into assisting with any heavy lifting necessary. Good on ya ! Worship Bob C.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Just wondering, Charlie: will Ed and I need green cards if we come down to help out? Icon_lol Icon_lol

Wayne
Wayne, the way things are going it is hard to tell, although maybe we can put you in a container and ship you by rail. Misngth
Bob, you have my idea exactly. It is pretty much a double track loop for mainline, with the opportunity to run a local or two, and the crossovers are not shown as a rule because I couldn't figure out how to put them in the drawing, but I want the ability to hold one train while I run a hot shot past a local, I remember when we had 4 tracks here in town because it was a stop for the passenger trains. There was also a mile long siding connected at both ends that was used to switch the potteries, so that is the time and operating frame I'm after. Most construction will be open frame and I'm toying with a scenic railroad that operates on switchbacks and has two customers for freight revenue...we will see about that :mrgreen:
Charlie
Here are a few pictures of the layout that is my other house. the room size is 17x28. I'll salvage what I can, but I never planned on moving so everything is pretty well built in place.
Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)