Charlie b's layout
Will_Annand Wrote:I like your trackplan alot and agree NO DUCK-UNDERS. Eek

I am certain that nobody LOVES "stoop-unders". However, a "stoop-under" (or better yet, a removable bridge) is a viable option for extending the linear footage of a layout and reducing the number of needed aisleways for one so inclined. It's just another possibility. If not so inclined, then so be it!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Personally, I prefer an around-the-room style: with no need to finish or even include the backs of structures, the un-used walls can be used to increase the visible sides of buildings, or used elsewhere as part of another structure. Of course, in the oddly-shaped space which I had available, an island-type layout would have been impossible. Entry to the room is through a very simple lift-out, which usually isn't needed for most operations. As Gary notes, to each his own. Goldth

Wayne
There will actually be walls that run down the middle of the layout , they are represented by the heavy lines, that way you can use building fronts only as well as move from urban to a rural setting. I had thought that if I didn't have enough layout to build and maintain I could always go up a grade to the 7 foot level and then run around the outside of the room, but operating on a rolling ladder just doesn't seem worth it Icon_lol
Charlie
Well, Kenny got all the holes bored today and the 4 corner posts are set. all the levels are run. Tomorrow he plans on setting the rest of the poles, the girts and the header, and thinks the trusses are a possibility. He wants to sheet the roof and shingle on Friday, but says Saturday is probably more realistic.
Once that is done the progress will go slow, because the labor is up to me. First thing I'm going to do is put the siding under the roof and put the first coat of paint on it while it is laying flat. I think it will be faster in the long run.
Charlie
Things went well today for as long as they went. All the posts are in and cemented. Kenny wanted to continue on, but the building is 1/8th inch out of square diagonally, so I told him that if he wasn't in a hurry let the cement cure a day and hit it tomorrow. I was afraid if they kept at it they would knock it out of square, and I don't think you could do any better then he has.
It doesn't look like much, but the hardest parts are now done. I'm sure it will be under roof by Sunday at the latest, then I will move all the siding under the roof and put the first coat of paint on before I put it up. I'm very pleased that they aren't rushing the crucial part.
Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)

Very quick progress! And good to see you're having nice weather.

Will you be pouring concrete piers to help support the beams in the floor?
Gary S Wrote:Very quick progress! And good to see you're having nice weather.

Will you be pouring concrete piers to help support the beams in the floor?
Nope, treated posts too to support a center beam.
This is what it looks like tonight. They made great progress today. There are a few pieces of wood to put on the ends for overhang then the felt and shingles. They should be done by 3PM tomorrow, then it will be all up to me.
Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)

WoW! :o

That thing went up F A S T ! Thumbsup

Way faster than conventional framing. Looking good Charlie, you'll be building benchwork before you know it.
I se lots of bracing, but I do not see a door opening. I know there must be one, just can't find it. Icon_lol
Will Annand
CVR in N Scale
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.muskokacomputes.com/CVR-Home.html">www.muskokacomputes.com/CVR-Home.html</a><!-- w -->
Will_Annand Wrote:I se lots of bracing, but I do not see a door opening. I know there must be one, just can't find it. Icon_lol
I will cut the door openings in next week, one will line up with the mandoor to the house and the other will be on the other end, but I'm not exactly sure where.
They are predicting snow tomorrow (Sunday) so I will try to get the remainder of the materials under the roof after they finish today. As a plus , there is enough material left to get a good start on the layout benchwork even though we decided to put the overhangs on the ends.
Charlie
Charlie B Wrote:As a plus , there is enough material left to get a good start on the layout benchwork even though we decided to put the overhangs on the ends.
Charlie

Bonus Charlie.

You must be smiling now.
Will Annand
CVR in N Scale
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.muskokacomputes.com/CVR-Home.html">www.muskokacomputes.com/CVR-Home.html</a><!-- w -->
Today was another good day but a small setback. Kenny has his shingle nailer at his home in the mountains and wasn't aware of it until he tried to locate it last night. His dad is bringing it up, so he will shingle on Monday. Everything else is ready for the shingles. He finished the overhangs and the fascia today, put the felt on the roof and half the shingles are up on the roof, and the other half is in the back of the truck.
My youngest son is coming in the morning to help me paint the siding before I put it up.
Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)

Today my youngest son stopped by, and we threw a bunch of paint together in a 5 gallon bucket so we could at least get some paint on the siding before we installed it. He got half of the siding painted with one coat so I decided to put a couple of sheets on the building. Oughta' make Ralph happy, but when I get around to it the final color will be a mustard yellow with dark brown trim, and red trim around the windows, just like the old PRR towers.
Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)

Well, after two days of heavy rain, we managed to get back to work, and the roof is now shingled and the job is mine to finish. I have a trip to the dentist tomorrow morning, and I doubt I'll feel like doing any work until Saturday, but it should move pretty quick as my grandson has offered to help when he can.
Between work and school he won't have much time, but every little bit helps.
Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)

Coming along at light speed Charlie, you will be inside before you know it.
Will Annand
CVR in N Scale