Mixing Floquil and Polly Scale Paints
Can I mix Floquil and Polly Scale paints together with water??? I plan to mix up a wash to weather wood. The technique requires mixing 3 or 4 different colors with water, then soaking separate pieces in three separate containers for 12, 20, and 30 hours to achieve varying shades of weathered wood. I only have on hand some of the colors in Polly Scale and some in Floquil. Just trying to avoid spending more $$$ on a technique I have never tried.

Let the debate begin......... Popcornbeer
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191
Short answer - no. If the paints have different bases, they won't mix. Especially true between petroleum based and water based paints. If you put water with a petroleum based paint, bad things happen. Sometimes, VERY bad things (like ruining an airbrush). Generally, you want to stick with the same paint brand when mixing paint.

There are a few exceptions. If you have two different brands of acrylic paint, sometimes they mix well, sometimes they mix okay, and sometimes they don't mix at all. When they mix well, there is no noticeable difference. I have mixed PollyScale and Testors Model Master acryl successfully. When they mix okay, the problem is usually the pigment. One brand will have coarser or heavier pigment, and they separate quickly. This would work okay for a dilute wash, but for regular painting they need to be constantly stirred to keep the color uniform (unless a non-uniform color is what you are after). When they don't mix at all, it is because a bad chemical reaction happens. I have mixed different brands of acrylic paint before in a wash, and for some reason the mixing of the brands causes the pigments to coagulate and settle. Apparently the base of one acts as a flocculant for the other.

The same is true for petroleum-based paints. I have mixed newer Floquil with testors' brand with satisfactory results. Older (circa 1995 or earlier) will not mix well with anything, including new Floquil. If the different brands will thin with the same kind of thinner, you are usually okay. But if one requires special thinner like lacquer thinner, it won't work. Pigment mixing problems may also occur.

You can successfully paint over acrylic with petroleum or vice-versa, provided the finish is dull or flat. I often use acrylic paints to weather things painted with Floquil. Generally, I don't like to use Floquil over acrylic, but it will work provided the acrylic finish is flat. Sometimes the finish is not that durable, but if your trains see minimal handling, that is okay. Just be sure the bottom coat is COMPLETELY DRY (not just dry to the touch) before applying a weathering coat of a different kind of paint. Most paint will completely dry in 48 hours provided it isn't applied to thick and the atmospheric conditions are favorable.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->