What dont you like about this hobby
screen48 Wrote:It's a hobby?

Absolutely! And what better thing to spend money on than something you enjoy? 2285_
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
and... I find it psychologically interesting that I sometimes have the need to defend my large hobby expenditures...
Gary S Wrote:metal wheelsets bulk pack of 100 = $65 = 65 cents per axle
Kadee couplers = 58 cents each
= $3.76 to upgrade one car
200 cars at $3.76 = $752.00 Curse

Just think 200 cars for ready to roll at $25 (avg) a piece = $5000 35 Adds up fast!
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
I have to agree with a few of the folks here, the cost of the hobby can be quite high. A section of code 83 flex at the LHS is now about $7.00 a section, I think I'm going to learn how to hand lay.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
e-paw Wrote:I have to agree with a few of the folks here, the cost of the hobby can be quite high. A section of code 83 flex at the LHS is now about $7.00 a section, I think I'm going to learn how to hand lay.

Once I buy ties, two pieces of rail, some spikes, I figure I pay about 2.50-3 bucks for 3 feet of hand laid track. While I have had fun and learned a lot doing it, I don't think my cost savings over such a small layout was worth the time invested. Let's put it this way, had I bought prefab track, I would have spent an extra hundred bucks, but all my track would be laid and ballasted by now Smile
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
I don't like the costs, I'm 27 and can't afford this hobby. If you want to be able to run decent equipment, and proper turning radius, you need lots of room. It takes a long time to really get any results with a layout so you can enjoy running a train
-Steven-

The Zealot progress thread: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112267">http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112267</a><!-- m -->
The current progress thread: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=923">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=923</a><!-- l -->
viperman Wrote:I don't like the costs, I'm 27 and can't afford this hobby. If you want to be able to run decent equipment, and proper turning radius, you need lots of room. It takes a long time to really get any results with a layout so you can enjoy running a train

Steven,There are ways to cut the costs and still have quality products.

Here's a clue:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HOYARDSALE/">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HOYARDSALE/</a><!-- m -->

As far as layouts..A advance design switching layout can give you hours of operation fun plus the hours of fun you will have super detailing the layout and of course the workaday mini scenes.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
viperman Wrote:I don't like the costs, I'm 27 and can't afford this hobby. If you want to be able to run decent equipment, and proper turning radius, you need lots of room. It takes a long time to really get any results with a layout so you can enjoy running a train

And that is why most large/nice layouts are built by older folks... when you are young, you are typically not making as much money, you are buying a house, car, furniture, all the stuff for the children on and on and on. Then when you get older, all your stuff is paid for, the kids are gone, minimal expenses, so more money (and time) can be devoted to the hobby.
I must agree with that. Also having little space I have limited myself to mostly second hand stuff and a shelf layout (which has been designed in a way that it could theoretically be incorporated into a larger layout eventually when the day of a dedicated trains room dawns..)

As for the price of the hobby in general - I guess the average price of the hobby has risen quite a bit as the demands for quality have risen enormously while all kinds of digital and other bells and whistles have become available. At the same time instant gratification entertainment such as computer games have appeared reducing the demand for beginner train sets.
-norm
tomustang Wrote:
Gary S Wrote:metal wheelsets bulk pack of 100 = $65 = 65 cents per axle
Kadee couplers = 58 cents each
= $3.76 to upgrade one car
200 cars at $3.76 = $752.00 Curse

Just think 200 cars for ready to roll at $25 (avg) a piece = $5000 35 Adds up fast!

You left out the initial cost of the cars you were upgrading and the cost of your time. Nope
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin You all should try this in 1:20.3 large "F" Scale Big Grin

~~ Track: between $3.50 and $4.00 a foot...

~~ Engines about the same price as HO or N "good" manufacturers.. Starting at $120.00 to the "perfect models: Ex.: GG-1 $3000.00 ------- 2-8-2 Steam (electric powered) $9000.00 Real steam is sometimes higher!! -- I build my own out of wood and just buy the "motors" for around $25.00 on E-bay

~~ Buildings start at $80.00 each!! -- which is why I build all my own stuff Big Grin

~~ Metal axles and wheels are $14.00 - $16.00 a set of 4!! Shoot and the cars start at $50.00 each too!!! and can run as high as $200.00 (I build my own rolling stock too) Smile Smile

Do I mind? yes, sometimes.. But I make do Smile

What I don't like about "the hobby" is: As long as I have been in it, (since 1982) I have never liked creating scenery. I like doing buildings, but don't like building the walkways, streets, sidewalks back yard details etc.. Nope Nope

...... just never "got into' it Sad It's always the last thing I do on any layout I've done - and this time it has taken 4 years to get started and about a year to "get moving" on it.
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Gary S Wrote:

And that is why most large/nice layouts are built by older folks... when you are young, you are typically not making as much money, you are buying a house, car, furniture, all the stuff for the children on and on and on. Then when you get older, all your stuff is paid for, the kids are gone, minimal expenses, so more money (and time) can be devoted to the hobby.

------------
I basicially agree with this. When you’re younger, you’re much too busy finishing your education, searching for your first job, dating, getting married, having kids, etc., etc. These are not only ultra-busy times but also times when you don’t have much money.

I first got into the MRR hobby for a few years with my Dad when I was a boy. I got back into it only when I was in my mid-40s, when my wife & I had two young sons. I got married later in life and therefore had kids much later, so cash-flow is still a problem! But at least, at this point, I was settled down in terms of my job & family.

With the MRR hobby, you don’t have to rush out & buy everything at once -- this really helped me. You can buy your locos and rolling stock gradually, as well as build your layout gradually as time & money allow.

However, I was “helped” by inheriting my Dad’s large MRR collection though (dating from the 1960s to the 1990s). This, plus having two boys, childhood memories & my Dad’s influence, all got me back into the hobby.

Rob
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
Have you checked out the prices for A Plastic Kit!!! recently ???

I started out in this hobby, scratchbuilding, because what was available, cost more than I could afford.
I will, most likely," leave this hobby" (euphemism for "croak") the way I started, for the same reasons.
I chose Model Railroading, because it gave me the greatest variety of things I could build models of, and display them as a unified scene.
At one time, hobby shops would buy "older rolling stock/buildings/figures/etc." for pennies on the dollar, and sell them for no more than nickles on the dollar, as "used or abused"..........now ?!.....these things are "collectibles" !!!, and cost as much, if not more than, new! ??????

"what I don't like about this hobby" is, the assumption that you have to buy. My favorite models are the ones I have built from "recycled" materials. Yes, I do have some RTR locomotives.....and many locomotives from kits, and I do have a Digitrax Zephyr,(I don't have the desire to build a DCC base station), and I do have some sound (the reason for the DCC in the first place.

" built from "recycled" materials ".......like this:

The clear plastic cap from an old spray deoderant, a Ping Pong ball, a plastic shot glass (free sample at a liquor store), parts of some flash cubes, bits and pieces left over from old kits, etc.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I guess what I don't like about model RRing is that lessons I (didn't learn) as a young lad have stuck with me all my life. In the late 30s and even the very early 40s, I built model (balsa and paper) airplanes. No one taught me the finesse or niceties of the craft, like sanding before papering, etc. Now, 70 years after that time, I still have difficulties ridding myself of those habits.

I tried weathering and it looks ghastly. I try modifying and bashing and everything looks even worse. My hands shake and it looks like metal pulled together with a magnet and glue dripped al;l over it. Thru many physical problems my memory left for better regions and I can't find out where. Consequently, when you all mention DD, UMD, FP, EMD et al, I haven't any idea of the difference.

HOWEVER, all the above doesn't bother me one whit. I log on here 10-12 times a day because with all my shortcoming I can live the life of a RRer vicariously here by simply reading about it. Not only that, but all the people here seem like very dear friends.

So, what I don't like is so extremely miniscule compared to what I recieve from the hobby that mostly what I do is rear back and enjoy it to the fullest.

Don't think this is the end of me. I am very liable to mount my soapbox in the future and cut loose again. Icon_twisted Icon_twisted

Lynn
Whitehouse, Tx
Lynn, thanks for sharing that. I applaud your outlook on life, and it shows wisdom that we would all be lucky to have. And, I am glad that you count me as a friend. Thumbsup

Do you ever come down to Houston?