What dont you like about this hobby
I can't think of anything I don't like about the hobby. I could use some addtional disposable income....you know....but the hobby is just marvey for me right now.

As for the diversity, it is my opinion that most of us are male, somewhat loners, don't really like being told what to do, or that what we do/like to do is somehow defective or deficient. Unfortunately, some of us are very egocentric, and probably somewhat rigid in our opinions, practices, and preferences. Equally unfortunately, that leads a few of us to be highly opinionated, even to the point where we lose our good sense and fail to merely keep silent or move along to something we and the other guy can actually discuss.

Just as the car hobbies and other mechanical interests tend not to appeal to many women, it is the same for our hobby. Women don't dream about steam engines, or building a scale layout so that we can run scale models of them. They mostly understand that we need this to some extent, but they would rather discuss, or actually be with, their children, their friends, and other social groups. My wife is much more outgoing than I, and it works out great...she goes shopping or out with her sorority, and I skulk in the basement, usually brooding as I hang upside down from the rafters. Woe to any intruders. Curse

I am on several lists where people from Europe and the Philipines post. Some from England. One person from Chile. English will be a barrier for many others who might bring some diversity to these fora, and you're not going to get many jumping in a car or a plane to attend the next train show up here. But there are literally hundreds of thousands of modellers out there in all countries, many making what they need, some buying from commercial providers about whom we, in our N. America-centric world, know nothing. There is a thriving Japanese market, and one in England. Who hasn't heard of Marklin, yes on the ropes once or twice recently, but who isn't struggling?

No, I get pretty much all I need, as I define my needs, from this hobby. I think I am well served. And I acknowledge that I should give due regard for all those people who have thought through problems in the past 70 years, those who started and maintain the integrity of the NMRA (from which we all benefit in one way or another), and those who continue to serve others by addressing their problems on these forums.

-Crandell
Thanks to all who have thus far posted on this thread!! I, too, don't like the high prices!! I would model the '40's and '50's, but I can't afford the cost of the steam locos!!! I buy most of my stuff on evil-bay, or at train shows. And, yes, there is one guy there who thinks his stuff is gold!! I have bought some decent stuff from him, but only because it was near the end of the last day of the show. However, most of the time his stuff is junk. I buy from him ONLY because I can't find what I'm looking for elsewhere. And I wish I could afford to convert all of my rolling stock to Kaydee couplers, but can't afford that, either. So I'll be running two different types of trains; those with horn/hook couplers and those with knuckle couplers. At least I'll be running trains!!!
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
The high cost of locos and dcc decoders. But then again, if they were cheaper, I'd probably buy way too many.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Modellers who whine.

The guys who complain about new releases because it does not 100% match the one unit that his/her favourite railroad used to run. You know the type....

"Why can't _____ get it right? Their ______ locomotive was released with the wrong horn configuration, and that model never had the new paint job, it only had the paint job that my railroad used for two years between 1938 and 1940.

Or, those who complain more generally.

"Why are laser cut kits always of such old buildings?"
Well, newsflash for you, new buildings are brick or steel and metal sidings.

Instead of thanking manufacturers for coming out with more variety in structures and new models of locos and rolling stock, they whine.

I say, if you are that particular, take the time and learn how to kitbash.
Modify that loco so it looks 100% like your prototype.

We have a fellow up here who is very insistant that every diesel he puts on his layout must be accurate. But he never whines about it, he purchases the model and kitbashes it to be what he wants. This modeller I have the uttmost respect for.
Whiners I have no respect for.
Will Annand
CVR in N Scale
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.muskokacomputes.com/CVR-Home.html">www.muskokacomputes.com/CVR-Home.html</a><!-- w -->
Will_Annand Wrote:Modellers who whine.

The guys who complain about new releases because it does not 100% match the one unit that his/her favourite railroad used to run. You know the type....

"Why can't _____ get it right? Their ______ locomotive was released with the wrong horn configuration, and that model never had the new paint job, it only had the paint job that my railroad used for two years between 1938 and 1940.

Instead of thanking manufacturers for coming out with more variety in structures and new models of locos and rolling stock, they whine.

I agree with your post, some modelers will stop at no end complaining that it isn't 100% accurate. Furthermore they will get in your face and tell you your model isn't prototypical accurate and want you to fix it. This is a hobby after all not brain surgery, it doesn't have to be perfect
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
tomustang Wrote:I agree with your post, some modelers will stop at no end complaining that it isn't 100% accurate. Furthermore they will get in your face and tell you your model isn't prototypical accurate and want you to fix it.

A friend, and fellow member of the RR club, was one of these.
I had just finished a kitbash of an Atlas wide Vision caboose, as an SP&S caboose, number 904.
At the club, there was a BN caboose, number 10029, (an Athearn wide vision). I coupled the SP&S caboose to it, and asked him to take a look......stating that the BN caboose (as numbered) had been the SP&S caboose,(904) before it was painted and numbered for BN.
The BN was his, and he never commented on the accuracy of my models again. Icon_twisted Icon_lol
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

We have a fellow up here who is very insistant that every diesel he puts on his layout must be accurate. But he never whines about it, he purchases the model and kitbashes it to be what he wants. This modeller I have the uttmost respect for.

I should buy you a beer for this post. But in general, anyone who whines about something that either doesn't matter, or about a situation they have control over or simply don't understand drive me nuts. I bet the same individuals who whine about model details also go home and whine to their wives. If they are single or divorced, perhaps this is the reason why. Yeah, i wish there were more smaller, earlier steam locomotives available in HO - but heck I should feel blessed there are as many model railroad manufacturers as their are.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->

Well said, Will. I totally agree.

I also agree with the other posting above that many MRR types are probably loners. I fit into this category. As an only child, growing up I had to come up with my own things to do, which is why I believe I have always been involved in hobbies, especially those you can do on your own. I'm OK in a small group but can practically disappear in a large group.

Also, it's true that most women cannot relate to my enthusiasm for railways. There are, of course a few exceptions ... my sister-in-law in England has answered many of my questions regarding British railways. But, in general, women have very little interest in trains and railways. It's just the way men & women are wired and that's totally fine!

Rob

Rob
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
The endless sameness of the locos and rolling stock, apparently dictated by the market forces of one specific subset of modelers.

How many times does the exact same railroad need to be re-modeled?
MountainMan Wrote:How many times does the exact same railroad need to be re-modeled?

Which railroad would that be? I want to make sure I don't model it... Misngth
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
The folks who come up to me at a show with their 30 year old TYCO set asking me to price it for them, then treating me like I'm a liar who's trying to rip them off.

The use of the words "rare", "vintage", "antique" blah, blah blah in an Ebay listing, for the most part greatly overused terms, sellers at best are naive, at worst deceptive when using them.

The phrase, "Oh, how cute..." 790_smiley_picking_a_fight

The question, "I'm just starting out in the hobby, _______________?" It took me 35 years to get this far in the hobby son, relax, put your wallet back in your pocket and read a few more magazines---about 2 dozen would be a good start.

People dissing TYCO, Life-Like and Botchmann...they were in the hobby long before you came along, and laid some serious coin, R and D and time down to pave the way for the hobby as you know it.
...prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits...

My blog>>> <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com">http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
MountainMan Wrote:The endless sameness of the locos and rolling stock, apparently dictated by the market forces of one specific subset of modelers.

How many times does the exact same railroad need to be re-modeled?

Kinda what I was getting at with my earlier comment. I wonder if that is dictated more by the manufacturers or my the homogeneity of the modeling crowd. Sometimes I think of the newer issues of Model Railroader magazine as similar to interstate highway off-ramps. It seems it doesn't matter what exit you get off of anymore or what state or town you are in, the choices of restaurants are the same: 4-5 of the chain fast food places, Denny's, Cracker Barrel, Applebees... Sometimes when you are on a road trip, you have a hankerin' for the local cuisine but are left without that option. Model railroading sometimes feels the same way. Sure, the magazines are filled with many gorgeous layouts, but the ones that catch my eye are the ones with an unusual prototype, an unusual era, an interesting track plan, a different perspective on how to do things, or a creative solution to a limitation.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Shaygetz, I'm really sorry to hear you don't like so many things. I have a real old extremely rare antique red and silver Bucketman that looks so cute on the shelf. I could possibly be conned in to parting with it to the right person. What makes it so rare and delicate is that in the manufacturing of it, they used the wrong template in spacing the rivets. Consequently, there are 3 1/2 rivets less on each side than supposed to be. Can you imagine that? 790_smiley_picking_a_fight Icon_lol

Lynn
Whitehouse, Tx
I don't think there is anything I don't like about model Railroading. Perhaps the one frustration is that I can think of at least 4 prototypes right off the top of my head that I would like to model, but to do justice to them, I would need 4 layouts which would mean a spare warehouse to put them in! It can be expensive, but when I started back into the hobby 20 years ago, I set aside $10.00 per week for hobby money, and after 20 years I have most of what I need to build a decent model railroad at home and have some nice equipment to run at club gatherings. Have I spent a lot of money on it? Probably, but at an average of $10.00 per week it is not money I've missed.
yellowlynn Wrote:Shaygetz, I'm really sorry to hear you don't like so many things. I have a real old extremely rare antique red and silver Bucketman that looks so cute on the shelf. I could possibly be conned in to parting with it to the right person. What makes it so rare and delicate is that in the manufacturing of it, they used the wrong template in spacing the rivets. Consequently, there are 3 1/2 rivets less on each side than supposed to be. Can you imagine that? 790_smiley_picking_a_fight Icon_lol

Lynn

Cheers Thumbsup Misngth
...prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits...

My blog>>> <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com">http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->