What dont you like about this hobby
Why is it that people confuse the "future" with fantasy? Does anyone remember a guy named Jules Verne? His "fantasies" took place in our own world.
MountainMan Wrote:Why is it that people confuse the "future" with fantasy? Does anyone remember a guy named Jules Verne? His "fantasies" took place in our own world.

Because the future hasn't been written yet and will always be a fantasy since it never happened. It reminds me of the Motor Trend mag in 1950 about future cars (50 years from now) all flying themselves, having the bubble top roofs in the year 2000, unfortunately that was a fantasy as well since the only improvement now is gas that isn't leaded and we have sat nav and heated seats as options.
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
On the fantasy stuff, Malcolm Furlow had a large scale layout he named "Mexican Hat". It was featured in the September 2003 Model Railroader mag... kind of a wild west sort of thing. I searched the net and didn't find any photos of it. Anyone seen it?
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
My dictionary defines "fantasy" as a mental image, so that image could easily be of the future, the past that never was, or something that would seem totally improbable or even impossible. As a mental image, it's completely up to the mind which is doing the imagining and not for anyone else to define as fitting only their idea of what constitutes a fantasy.

As long as it involves model railroading, it qualifies for this discussion, but worrying about what others do or don't do would seem to me to sort of "suck the joy" from the hobby. Goldth

Wayne
I was reading this thread with interest partly because of the "politics" portion of it. Politics is an interest of mine because I love American history and my father was in state government and majored in political science so I guess it rubbed off a bit. Then I was trying to see how politics can interact with the model railroading community. I consider myself slightly left of center. I'm either a conservative democrat or a liberal republican I guess! I have strong views of U.S. politics in general and if people want to ask me about my opinions or congenially challenge me I'm all for having a discussion, but do it away from forums dedicated to other things! Like this one! On another site I frequent, there are folks who boldly proclaim their political views in such a way as to demean other peoples points of view. Either through their avatars, their signatures, politician's quotes on their endings or just plain through the comments made when posting. I suppose that's the main thing I don't like about the hobby. Some folks on that other site will even PM you with their extremism propaganda. (I suppose that's the word!) I know there are folks on the extreme left and on the extreme right who's views are set in stone and there is no way anyone is going to change their mind. And who knows! Maybe they'll turn out to be right! Maybe the person who chains themselves to a tree to prevent it from being cut down is correct in their notion that cutting down that tree will result in a cataclysmic ecological disaster that will turn our planet into dust. Maybe the person shooting holes through congressman's windows is absolutely correct in thinking that a government run health care plan is the beginning of the onslaught of communism and we're all doomed! After all that's what they said when the interstate system was being developed. It did lead to the downfall of many railroads didn't it?! (ducking my head here! LOL)
So, if you want to air extremist views, please for my own sanity, keep 'em off model railroad forums!
Thanks for the rant guys, now I'm off to open a new box of hydrocal!

Matt
MountainMan Wrote:Why is it that people confuse the "future" with fantasy? Does anyone remember a guy named Jules Verne? His "fantasies" took place in our own world.
Some day, I want to build the "Disney version" of Verne's Nautilus, in 1:87 scale, in drydock!
Gary S Wrote:On the fantasy stuff, Malcolm Furlow had a large scale layout he named "Mexican Hat". It was featured in the September 2003 Model Railroader mag... kind of a wild west sort of thing. I searched the net and didn't find any photos of it. Anyone seen it?
I haven't seen the layout, but I have seen the article in the Sept. '03 MR. Trains, and towns, clinging to the faces of cliffs, with the trains in worse condition than the stone age relics laying all about.
I highly recommend studying Furlow, to see what too much weathering can produce. At the same time, however, there is a good degree of "art" there. Malcom has created a very interesting world , where, in this case, the "present/past" is the fantasy.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:Apparently, there were two of them. According to what I found hereSad<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.kinglyheirs.com/AbandonedRR/CatskillMountain1.html#CatskillMountain">http://www.kinglyheirs.com/AbandonedRR/ ... llMountain</a><!-- m -->), the Stoney Cove & Catskill Mountain, and the Kaaterskill Railroad. According to the article, both were absorbed by the Ulster and Delaware, and the tracks were converted to standard gauge before 1940.

I finally had time to do a little research, and found, in the same vicinity;
The Catskill & Tannersville
The Catskill Mountain
The Cairo (a very short line)
The Otis Elevating ( a funicular, or cog railway)
Whooda thunkit!
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
tomustang Wrote:

Because the future hasn't been written yet and will always be a fantasy since it never happened. It reminds me of the Motor Trend mag in 1950 about future cars (50 years from now) all flying themselves, having the bubble top roofs in the year 2000, unfortunately that was a fantasy as well since the only improvement now is gas that isn't leaded and we have sat nav and heated seats as options.

True, but that does not mean that an entirely new world must be created. Verne's fantasies took place in our world and in the current time frame; he merely added Nemo's submarine, or Robur's airship.

As for your example of cars, the "bubble top" appeared on the Pacer, an excellent example of fantasy being a part of the real world. There was also an entire glass top for the front half of the Ford Fairlane.

True, but that does not mean that an entirely new world must be created. Verne's fantasies took place in our world and in the current time frame; he merely added Nemo's submarine, or Robur's airship.

As for your example of cars, the "bubble top" appeared on the Pacer, an excellent example of fantasy being a part of the real world. There was also an entire glass top for the front half of the Ford Fairlane.

Curved side/rear windows isn't the example, something like the cadillac cyclone concept and ford fx atmos. The futuristic cars of tomorrow were a rendition of the jetzen's flying cars.

As far as the future layout, it is based on our worlds Baltimore. Big Grin
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
Haha. Funny you should bring up the pacer. yesterday I saw a "Nissan Cube" and wondered if it is just the modern day pacer!
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Quote:Some day, I want to build the "Disney version" of Verne's Nautilus, in 1:87 scale, in drydock!

It's been done, in larger scale than that.

The 1/60th model:
[Image: nautilus.jpg]

The Disney 1/10th model:
[Image: disneynautilus.jpg]

Quote:On the fantasy stuff, Malcolm Furlow had a large scale layout he named "Mexican Hat". It was featured in the September 2003 Model Railroader mag... kind of a wild west sort of thing. I searched the net and didn't find any photos of it. Anyone seen it?
I haven't seen the layout, but I have seen the article in the Sept. '03 MR. Trains, and towns, clinging to the faces of cliffs, with the trains in worse condition than the stone age relics laying all about.
I highly recommend studying Furlow, to see what too much weathering can produce. At the same time, however, there is a good degree of "art" there. Malcom has created a very interesting world , where, in this case, the "present/past" is the fantasy.[/quote]

Yes, he has, although some of it seemed overdone, as you pointed out. Still - it's his fantasy, so...?

There is another one that just made the NG&SLG, and which is currently housed at The Caboose in Denver and was displayed at the Modeler's convention in Denver dcently as well. Extremely well done.
It's been done, in larger scale than that. The 1/60th model:"

That's the one. In HO scale she'd be just under 2 feet long.
Raised by the Glomar Explorer, and brought to Sag Harbor Shipbuilding and Drydock Co.'s main dry dock, she'd be studied there under intense security. How's that for fantasy!? 357 357 ..........It's,.....It's, Area fifty two ?!?! Eek

Before I forget, Thanks, MM, for that photo. That is a well done model. Is that yours?
Sumpter250 Wrote:It's been done, in larger scale than that. The 1/60th model:"

That's the one. In HO scale she'd be just under 2 feet long.
Raised by the Glomar Explorer, and brought to Sag Harbor Shipbuilding and Drydock Co.'s main dry dock, she'd be studied there under intense security. How's that for fantasy!? 357 357 ..........It's,.....It's, Area fifty two ?!?! Eek

Before I forget, Thanks, MM, for that photo. That is a well done model. Is that yours?

Nope.