E-Mail Hacked
Bad news: I think my new email address was hacked. I can't even access it myself.
Good news. there was only one email addy saved, and I use Facebook to send stuff to him.

So..with all the e-mail addys I deleted from my old account because of a virus, Send all E-mag articles to
eightyeightfan_99 @yahoo.com
I won't save the addy
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Weird, I had a Gmail addy hacked today, too.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Yeah, I had the same thing happen to my Yahoo address about a year ago. Fortunately, I only use it for subscriptions and didn't have any addresses (other than my own) in the address book, so very few people got spammed because of it. I changed my password and kept the account and haven't had any problems since then.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
ezdays Wrote:Yeah, I had the same thing happen to my Yahoo address about a year ago. Fortunately, I only use it for subscriptions and didn't have any addresses (other than my own) in the address book, so very few people got spammed because of it. I changed my password and kept the account and haven't had any problems since then.

I have always wondered what the purpose of all that spam is. It is obviously spam - does anyone actually fall for tat junk? Seems like there is an easier way to steal money rather than hack email accounts. The risk of getting caught is probably lower, though.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Almost every day I receive two or more offers from somone somewhere who has chosen me to be the recipient of some dead relative's estate worth millions of dollars!! I just delete them, but I've been having problems with my e-mail, and if I open a link, my computer either freezes or just displays a blank screen. And I'm not getting automatically logged in here, either.. Wallbang Curse
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
nachoman Wrote:
ezdays Wrote:Yeah, I had the same thing happen to my Yahoo address about a year ago. Fortunately, I only use it for subscriptions and didn't have any addresses (other than my own) in the address book, so very few people got spammed because of it. I changed my password and kept the account and haven't had any problems since then.

I have always wondered what the purpose of all that spam is. It is obviously spam - does anyone actually fall for tat junk? Seems like there is an easier way to steal money rather than hack email accounts. The risk of getting caught is probably lower, though.
These guys work on a very small percentage. Let's say the send out 1,000,000 spam emails and 100 people respond. Out of that, five people actually buy something, or send money in hopes of getting rich. That's a response of .001%, and .0005% that are actually taken in. Suppose four out of five only send in $50 each to buy something worthless, like fake drugs, and the other falls for that "get rich" Nigerian scheme to the tune of $10,000. That's not a bad days pay. the odds may be even lower, but one person can send out more than a 1,000,000 spam message a day at no additional costs to them.

My main email address has wound up in the hands of a spammer, probably from invading one of my friends address books. I now get at least 5 to 10 offers a day to buy Canadian meds. There has to be someone that responds to these emails, otherwise they'd do something else to scam us out of our money.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
sgtcarl1 Wrote:Almost every day I receive two or more offers from somone somewhere who has chosen me to be the recipient of some dead relative's estate worth millions of dollars!! I just delete them, but I've been having problems with my e-mail, and if I open a link, my computer either freezes or just displays a blank screen. And I'm not getting automatically logged in here, either.. Wallbang Curse
Carl,

You could have your email app set to filter out unwanted content. My Yahoo address usually tells me when it has blocked content. Thunderbird usually sticks spam in my junk folder because I've set it to do just that, and I've set up certain filter words to help it determine what is junk.

As far as not being automatically logged in here, you could have your browser set to delete cookies when you close your current session. Check that and see if that's not the case.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
any email account will get a certain number of spam emails even if you never give it out to anyone at all as many of the spammers use an `autodialer' for lack of a better word
basically they start at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:aaaa@aaa.com">aaaa@aaa.com</a><!-- e --> and work their way up to <!-- e --><a href="mailto:zzzz@zz.com">zzzz@zz.com</a><!-- e -->- so of course they will sooner or later get to yours

of course some `certain' websites will put active emails on a list and the number of spammers increases dramatically

I have used the same email since 96, in fact I never actually use my isp based pop3 account because I consider them to be `temporary' until I move on to the next one that offers a better deal- my yahoo one has been `me' for nearly a decade and a half!!

(plus I have found its spam filters are `WAAAY' better than most isp based ones- I am lucky to get 1o or 2 emails a week actually get into my inbox- the spam folder gets hundreds a day)

Also I have another hotmail account purel for signing into websites- never check it and never use it apart from using it as my signup email

there isnt anything stopping anyone from having hundreds of accounts from any of the free online providers (hotmail, livemail,yahoo,gmail etc etc etc) I had a couple of hundred at one stage just for a single forum (we had a bit of fun making up `joke names' between a few of us and you needed a different email to sign up each name- I just used my normal plus a number added at the end for each one LOL)
poopsie chicken tush