GERN Industries Gibson Works...
Just a note to mention that I've replaced the photos previously lost from the first post in this thread. Goldth

Wayne
Thanks for taking the time to reinsert those pictures. The post made me go look at them once again. That is a great complex. I will have to get on the ball and do a GERN facility for my layout.
Charlie
Mr Fixit Wrote:Or I add a spoonful of GERN to my coffee for 3% more flavour, energy and a bigger caffeine hit.
A minor side effect is that it puts 3% more hairs on my chest, which is a minor problem for us blokes but a major problem for the ladies, requiring 3% more trips to the beauty terrorist, I mean beauty therapist.Mark

I had to add GERN to my laundry detergent, to make my T shirts 3% larger, to fit over all that chest hair ! :o 357 Wink Icon_twisted
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:
Mr Fixit Wrote:Or I add a spoonful of GERN to my coffee for 3% more flavour, energy and a bigger caffeine hit.
A minor side effect is that it puts 3% more hairs on my chest, which is a minor problem for us blokes but a major problem for the ladies, requiring 3% more trips to the beauty terrorist, I mean beauty therapist.Mark

I had to add GERN to my laundry detergent, to make my T shirts 3% larger, to fit over all that chest hair ! :o 357 Wink Icon_twisted

Will it work as shampoo? 8-)
MountainMan Wrote:Will it work as shampoo? 8-)
3% bigger bald spot.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.

It sure will, and here's another fine GERN product to care for those flourishing follicles:

[Image: Danderoff.jpg]

Wayne
If I had seen this before I have forgot....Had trouble settling down arter the first line. Thank goodness I wasn't drinking anything or it would have been all over the wall...
Charlie
BR60103 Wrote:
3% bigger bald spot.

Not what I had in mind... 8-)
Photos restored to this thread.

Wayne
Is there a roster of everybody's equipment so when I get around to it I don't duplicate somebody else's roadnumbers?
Tyler D.
General Manager
[Image: image.php?album_id=238&image_id=4544&display=popup]
Wayne will assign numbers for you, he has everything under control. Just PM him with your car type(S)
Charlie
The two GERN covered hoppers shown in the first photo of this thread have been re-built and re-numbered. The re-building was mainly to replace the overly heavy cast-on grab irons and sill steps, but I also redid the hatches and outlet gates using parts from Bowser's nicely-done ACF covered hoppers. Since the MDC cars represented Pullman-Standard's PS-2, the new hybrid has been deemed a GERN corporate design, with features of both the PS-2 and ACF designs. Since the GERN design pre-dates that of the latter two companies, both of those companies pay royalties to GERN for the features they later opted to use.
GERN's cars were built by National Steel Car, in Hamilton, Ontario.
The re-numbering came about when GERN acquired additional cars from the now-moribund Niagara Peninsula RR, and shop forces discovered that their supply of the numeral "5" in the proper font had been almost exhausted.

Here's the two re-done originals...
[Image: REBUILT%20MDC%20COVERED%20HOPPERS...%20015.jpg]

[Image: REBUILT%20MDC%20COVERED%20HOPPERS...%20017.jpg]

...and the recent additions, simply patched-over for the new reporting marks and numbers:

[Image: REBUILT%20MDC%20COVERED%20HOPPERS...%20018.jpg]

[Image: REBUILT%20MDC%20COVERED%20HOPPERS...%20019.jpg]

Also done at the same shopping were these EG&E cars...

[Image: REBUILT%20MDC%20COVERED%20HOPPERS...%20014.jpg]

[Image: REBUILT%20MDC%20COVERED%20HOPPERS...%20016_1.jpg]

Wayne
That's what happened at the KJR. I numbered the flat car 44. The boss wanted to now why I chose 44, I told him the caboose was KJR 4 so I had to use two 4's and 4 was the only stencil I had. Icon_lol I was going to number the coach 4444 but I found some more stencils in time. Wink
Charlie
What would the marks look like in 1900?
MountainMan Wrote:What would the marks look like in 1900?

I'm not sure, but they wouldn't likely have been on covered hoppers. Wink Misngth
Back in those days, I don't think that the regulations would have been too stringent: probably the name of the car's owner, for instance, UNION PACIFIC, or the appropriate U.P. initials, and the car's number, but I don't think that any particular placement was proscribed. I couldn't find much in the way of on-line prototype photos, but most of the other data which we see nowadays could be placed almost anywhere on the car (if it appeared at all). Many cars also featured advertising, either for the owner road or for important on-line customers - this pre-dated the era of the so-called "billboard reefers", but was similar.

There's some info HERE on more recent lettering requirements for freight cars.

Wayne