Team Track Industry
What a shame! And those Krispy Kreme glazed raised donuts are the absolute BEST!!!!!

Dunkin' Donuts' offerings come in a distant second!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
In my best Homer Simpson's voice.MMMM Krispy Kreme donuts.I have 2 glazed donuts a month..Of course on that day I need to watch my sugar intake and lay off any sugary treats unless my sugar falls and that has happen on "donut" day.

Here in Bucyrus Krispy Kreme donuts can be found at Kroger or Wal-Mart.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
He, he, he.

Funny you should mention Homer Simpson, as he was the first person I mentioned when I first saw the EFRR track plan contained the Krispy Kreme plant.
"This is "The Homer Simpson of shortlines!!!!! I just have to model this one!" was what I shouted out loud as I first viewed the trackplan.
So in the space of one afternoon I had found the perfect shortline for me to model. Problem solved.

Since then I have been researching EFRR on the internet, purchasing rolling stock and structures while working out where to build my layout. As part of my research I have contacted Jack Shultz at Agracel, and Charles Barenfanger at Illinois Western, the two gentlemen responsible for developing the EFRR, and no doubt the people that anyone who lets either EFRR 2716 or IW7570 get dirty will have to answer to.

As for Krispy Kreme donuts being the best, well lets just say [in a suitable mafioso type voice] that you havent met "Mr Donut and Associates yet." I also bought a small home use donut maker so that my layout can have donut aroma.

MMMM donuts. I think that I had better start a blog here to detail my EFRR adventures.
Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Well Mark, if you are going for a Simpson's theme you need to include this boxcar I found in Waterloo IA    
John
I always wonder how graffiti sprayers have time to do things like that!
Ralph
Ditto! Some of that looks to be masked and then painted, several times for several colors ... amazing art! Imagine what this person could do if they were to actually receive some art education!

I think that the first two guys to apply their names to everything and everything (you'd see "Chewy" and Cool Earl" even on the walls of the subway ... between stations!) in Philadelphia were eventually caught and charged with vandalism. As a result of the publicity of the highly publicized arrest, I seem to remember that some philanthropist who had seen the prolific "tagging" sent at least one on them to one of the art schools in Philly.

Or at least, so the story goes.

But the graffiti back then, in the early seventies, was very simple. IIRC, "Chewy" just used his name in single-stroke plack paint and "Cool Earl" did the same but had a little three-pointed crown tilted over the "C."

Graffiti has come a long way!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
thanks for the photo johny botto
Mark
I've often wondered how many millions of dollars this vandalism costs the railroad industry every year. Having to repaint reporting marks, car numbers, capacity and dimensional data, not to mention special instructions that all get painted out by these "people" that have no respect for private property and seem to never be punished for their crime when they do get caught. It's a real shame.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
I believe when they started the "transload" building was the first step and they sought after loads of paper to Petty's and colorpress. The storage cars your talking about if on pike and tank cars were revenue loads they were transloading soybean oil and chemicals there. The vulcan hoppers come in the summer too.
They have grown alot and built a small yard to the south. After colorpress shut down Agracel bought the plant, I had heard rumors the small warehouse where the loco stays was for sale/lease.
Also while not on the Eff, if you go towards the center of town on wabash ave. to where Dj's ice is on the IC there is a "shed" where siemer milling loads airslide/pd hoppers/etc. with flour. The flour mill is actually on the CSX in teutopolis but they never seem to have more than a couple of cars there, so IC must give them better rates. I'll try to find my pictures of it.
this is the one in town on the IC circa 04, I have some Krispy kreme too;

That shed would be easy to scratchbuild.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
What are the two cables for hanging at the two booms over the track?
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:What are the two cables for hanging at the two booms over the track?

The two cables are a part of the Fall Restraint System for the carhand working on the tops of the covered hoppers.

The carhand wears a harness arrangement similar to a parachute harness, which is attatched to the suspension wires via a lanyard [rope or seatbelt webbing type] with a lapped webbing shock absorber. The idea of the system is enable the operator to underatake physical works in a situation where exposed to the risk of a fall from height. If a person happens to fall then the lanyard stops the fall while the shock absorber cushions the shock of arresting the fall and the harness spreads the weight and maintains the person in an upright manner. The one proviso is that if a person is suspended in the harness following a fall then they must be gotten down within 20 minutes to prevent "toxic shock" from restricted bloodflow from the legs killing them when it re-enters the heart.

Co-incidentally I will be wearing a similar harness system and hooking on to a similar cable run when I go on to the roof of one of the school buildings today to clear the gutters of leaves and debris. I am thinking that I will take a number of photos which will help to explain the system.

Mark
Mr Fixit Wrote:...The two cables are a part of the Fall Restraint System for the carhand working on the tops of the covered hoppers....

Thanks for the explanation. I would never have guessed that.
Reinhard
Your welcome.
Im not surprised that most people dont know about the system. I am aware of it following the TRAINS Grains special which showed the loading proceedure with the operator walking the tops of the cars to open the troughs and I noted he was wearing the harness system and the overhead wires provided the means to walk safely along the train.

Mark