Ralph's Layout Self-improvement Blog
And the other end of the layout with Kings Port Steel and the engine yard. All of the large mil structures are made of cardboard and covered with corrugated craft paper. I'd like to eventually redo these structures with scribed siding intended or models and use some better looking details like commercially roof vents.

[Image: IMG_1397.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1870.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1875.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1876.jpg]

The locomotive facility is OK. I'd like to add some interior details and good looking roof vents.

[Image: IMG_1878.jpg]
Ralph, although I pretty much figured it by the pics you have submitted over the years, this is proof that your layout is most assuredly and most definitely without a doubt totally B-B-B-B-B-B-B-BAAAAAD TO THE B-B-B-B-B-B-ONNNNE! Worship Worship Worship Worship Worship Worship Worship Worship Worship Worship Worship Worship

The bar around here just keeps getting higher and higher...... 2285_

And just so you know, I am unashamedly stealing you maintenance facility scene fair and square! Thumbsup
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191
[Image: IMG_1875.jpg]

Love this scene. Absolutely love it!
-Dave
Thanks for the nice comments guys! Much appreciated!

Gary S Wrote:How long ago did you start on this layout? You've obviously put a ton of effort into it.

Hey Gary, I started the benchwork in 1994, a year after we moved into the house. Its been a gradual project since then, with a major revision when we needed electrical work in the ceiling. I had to break up the layout to accommodate the electrician and then reconfigured it to its present better design. The original design had a duck under that I always scraped my back on. Smile

Ralph
Ralph, your layout looks great as it is. But since you are in the "improvement" mode, let me offer a suggestion to not overlook the small things. Sometimes, just fixing a few areas where the ballast is loose, a spot or two where white plaster shows through, or fixing an uneven roadway can do a lot to improve the overall finish. I feel that is the difference between the "finished" scenes and the "great" scenes. Little things like LPBs, making sure the structures sit level and the foundations have no gaps, proper signage, and details like mailboxes and trash cans all add to the effect.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
You are so right Kevin! That's where the value of photos comes in for me. They show me things I don't notice or overlook.

Ralph
I am seconding Richard's emotion:

B-A-A-A-A-A-D to the BONE!

Again Ralph, thank you for the awesome shots of your awesome layout. And the photos are very sharp and clear. Perfect! Thumbsup
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
I thought I'd try out my idea of having a Wrigley field-like scene with people watching a ball game from the roof of a nearby building. The building is just a cardboard box with a photo I found online, printed, and glued on. I added some 3-D details but its pretty obvious that its a picture. I plan to replace this structure with a DPM component building but for now am having a little bit of fun with it.

[Image: IMG_1890.jpg]

A close up of some of the fans enjoying the game for free...

[Image: IMG_1892.jpg]
Ralph
The Kings Port Saints... aren't they a single A team in the Mets organization? Maybe my memory is mistaken. Perhaps a local college team?
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Wow...the pictures really give you a sense of the amount of time spent on so many little scenes you've created. Really great job overall. Thumbsup

I really like the engine facility...and the industrial complex. But what I noticed was the sense of "distance" between each specific area. You get the idea (moving from one area to another) that there is distance between the various town areas on the layout and that they're not just all jammed together. I like that. Cheers
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Gary S Wrote:The Kings Port Saints... aren't they a single A team in the Mets organization? Maybe my memory is mistaken. Perhaps a local college team?

Your memory is good Gary. There is a Kingsport Mets team in Tennessee. When I made my little ballpark i was inspired by the St. Paul Saints team with its stadium right near the tracks so i stuck a Saints sign on the home run wall.
Great scenes on your layout. The industrial area and engine servicing area are amazing -- the whole scene just looks fantastic. I enjoyed looking at the photos of your layout; now I need to get off my butt and work on more scenery! Good idea to use photo buildings for background buildings. I think I will have to try that!
Chuck
Detroit Connecting
We are your
inner-city connection.
complete with 555 phone number on the billboard!!!
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
gotta love that baseball scene!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
The field will stay as I like it a lot too. Everything behind it will soon go so I can seriously create a good background scene of warehouses. I will recreate the fans on the roof scene on some better structures. This area has become my priority improvement area.
Ralph