Good things come in narrow packages
I like the way you think Pete! Thumbsup
Steve
In the front of this scene will be a scrap yard with a looooooong fence. I will put the groundcover down on the backside of where it will be, so I don't have to work over it. I removed all the structures and painted the foam a light brown:
[Image: T54xy0.jpg]

Next I will have to screen some soil....hope I have enough for this section. Not really sure   :oops:
Steve
Steve Wrote:Next I will have to screen some soil....hope I have enough for this section. Not really sure :oops:

Steve, tile grout works quite nicely to represent dirt, and comes in a wide variety of colours. If I recall correctly, a 1lb. bag of it was only a buck. You can mix it with real dirt and/or ballast, etc., and it's applied dry, as you would any scenic material. I did some test sections of track using it, and, after pre-wetting it, also applied dilute white glue. Ground foam and static grass can probably be done in the same operation, or afterwards, too.

Wayne
Wayne,
I use a mixture of dirt and grout, especially when I'm going for the darker soil look found in a lot of industrial areas.
I did the dirt in the areas surrounding the scrap yard and turned my attention to the yard fence.

I decided to try Bar Mills "InstaFence" for that scrap yard. The boards are on a sprue to hold the spacing:
[Image: PTobgs.jpg]

After putting the sections together, I gave it a wash of gray paint thinned with alcohol:
[Image: JQyYHb.jpg]

[Image: 7ksFw2.jpg]

[Image: FaPL4j.jpg]

Next I'll finish the ground cover...or at least the dirt, and start placing "junk".
Steve
Got the dirt down:
[Image: NQ5MjA.jpg]

Also I started working again on the Erie B-2 steam crane...very slow going:
[Image: f4UxaW.jpg]

I will be glad when I'm done with this model. I find it very frustrating to work with tiny parts  Wallbang  but whatcha gunna do?  Wink
Steve
Steve

We had a Erie steam shovel at a local narrow gauge railway(in UK) , fascinating to watch, got a few photos from different angle somewhere if you need them.

Ray
Ray...that looks great!....if you have any pics you want to share....post away!

I tried to rustle up as many proto and model pics as I could. I found a modeled version of a steam shovel where the side panels/doors were left off (better to show off all the gears and boiler and such). That is what I'm planing to do. If I don't like it, I will add the sides later. Wink
Steve

Ray

hope these are of some help

Ray
Ray,
Thank you so much! Yes that will help alot. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Steve
Got most of it together. I will paint it now before attaching the boom:
[Image: Cg3gVu.jpg]
Steve
All done with the painting:

[Image: L1ZT5E.jpg]

[Image: Lz8kdd.jpg]

[Image: QRFYIz.jpg]

I think after seeing it in pictures, I will tone down some of the lighter rust but other than that...I like the way it came out.
Now on to the rigging........... :cry:
Steve
I toned down the rust and I think it looks a lot better. The rigging was a royal pain but the lines are pretty taut and except for a little "fuzz" on the thread in a few places, I am satisfied. I will probably find a figure or two to put inside the cab, but this one is done:

[Image: r6XYwS.jpg]

[Image: FA0xlo.jpg]

[Image: E7Rt9K.jpg]

I like the way the rust came out on the bottom of the water tank:
[Image: JkWVgb.jpg]

[Image: LvvDBU.jpg]

Next I need to make some scrap.... Thumbsup
Steve
Very nice Steve. Well done. I really like the way the rust turned out as well.
I'm in the planning stages of a new layout and was just thinking about the bridge on your last layout a couple days ago. I'll have to remember where that was at so I can go find it and look at a picture for reference.
WoW..!! You outdid yourself..
I can't believe you actually built that boom piece by piece...I would have stumped on it after a couple of hours messing with it...

A sure winner in the model of the year category... Applause
Gus (LC&P).