GEC's roster thread
Where do you keep all your traction equipment GEC? Your collection is huge. Do you store all of it on the layout or do you have some shelves or drawers to put some of them away every once and a while?
tetters Wrote:Where do you keep all your traction equipment GEC? Your collection is huge. Do you store all of it on the layout or do you have some shelves or drawers to put some of them away every once and a while?

It is huge, i actually haven't even finished photographing and posting all the stuff I had before i started this thread!

Anyway, i wish i had a layout large enough to store all of this! I actually use shoe shelving. In fact, i just got another shelf for my birthday Icon_lol and the sad thing is, its still not enough to hold everything. Each cubby hole can hold three pieces (sometimes 4, depending on the size). I gave all my locomotives priority for a place on the shelves, but if you've followed my threads, you know that i have a ton of Electric Multiple unit kits (Silverliner IIIs, Arrow IIIs, etc), and they'll all have to go on the shelf since their boxes won't be good enough to hold them after they're done. Luckily, a lot of my freight cars can stick around on the layout, either in the yard, in a train, or on their stub sidings.

In fact, some of the married pair MUs will be trouble, as the models, just as in real life, will be semi-permanently coupled because i hope to run the whole unit from one decoder.

In this photo, you can see everything i have that runs. The only exception that hasn't been pictured yet is my Challenger 4-6-6-4 (behind the J-1 out of sight), and my Arrow III single. Everything else is either being built, or is at my train club (only three locomotives and the other chunk of my Metroliner MU cars). I took photos of most of the rest of that stuff today, and when i have time later i'll post them. this is the second to last group. I think my NJ transit stuff will be last.

[Image: morerostershots12141000.jpg]
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Wow! Impressive. Thanks for the response! Thumbsup
Nice display of your equipment. Clever use of the shoe cubbies!
Ralph
Some Pennsy Power today

PRR GE 44 tonner # 9337

The 44 tonners were ubiquitous industrial switchers built to be run by just one person. At the time these engines were being produced, the Transition era was well underway. In order to protect the job of the firemen on diesel locomotives, a law was made that said any locomotive weight at or over 90,000 pounds needed a fireman. The 44 tonner comes in at just about 88,000 pounds.

This particular 400 horsepower locomotive were bought by the PRR in 1948, to replace the old A-class steam locomotives on lighter assignments. At least one former PRR switcher survived Penn Central as the highest numbered locomotive, #9999. It was also the last 44 ton switcher during the Penn Central and Conrail years. This locomotive actually survived a few years into Conrail as part of the Union freight company in New Egypt, NJ, Not far from my home. It has since been disposed of. Similarly, 9337 is long gone, but it's sister, 9331, survives as one of the Strasburg railroad's diesel switchers.

As a locomotive, it is one of my earliest. I knew i would need a VERY small switcher to work in my industrial park. Very early on I realized there wasn't enough space on my industrial lead for even an SW to run more than one freight car at a time. I decided that i'd make the area run by an industrial railroad that inter changes with Conrail. This actually works pretty well, as the conrail train can just pull out the string of "out bound" cars and back in the in bound ones. The 44 tonner usually sits at the end of the industrial lead and can then sort the cars about 2 at a time.

PRR GG1 #4905

The GG1 is one of the most memorable locomotives of all time, and this is it's most memorable paint scheme. They were first painted in this fashion in the 1940s. the #4905 is one of the GG1s later re-geared for passenger service, and traveled around the system pulling passenger trains of all kinds.

the story of Raymond Loewy's industrial design and the long lasting engineering of the PRR hardly needs another telling, but if there any interesting stories about the #4905, that would be cool. I do know this unit eventually became 4913 on Amtrak. It is interesting to note that the "Original" 4913 was one of the GG1s on the Kennedy funeral train.

PRR J1 2-10-4 #6170

The J1 was one of the few steam locomotives on the PRR that wasn't a Pennsy design. Built during WWII, the government would only allow certain standard types of steam locomotives to be produced, so the pennsy had to accept C&O class T1 2-10-4s. Classed J1 by the pennsy, these units were common on pennsy's western lines, often interchanging with trains from the west. they are the longest single coupled wheel base steamer on the PRR (some duplex drives technically had a longer rigid wheel base, but they seperated with two sets of pistons and side rods). None of the J1 class survived to be preserved.

The model itself is an impressive puller, and i think it may be the strongest single engine i own.

[Image: morerostershots12141001.jpg]
Late Era Conrail Equipment

This is the remainder of my current Conrail roster. These locomotives all were either delivered during the later half of Conrail's existence, or represent their appearance in the last days. By now, much of the "classic" power is gone, but the big impressive Wide cabs and GE Dash-8s begin to appear.

First up

Conrail C32-8 "Ballast Express" #6614

Genera Electric's C32-8 represents the First of GE's "DASH-8" line of locomotives, and were the harbinger of GE's eventual over throw of EMD as the nation's top locomotive producer. Only 10 were built as pre-production test beds for the DASH-8 technology, all for Conrail. Delivered in 1986, these 12 cylinder 3,150 HP locomotives featured all sorts of microprocessor controls and other hi-tech gadgetry meant to make these engines more efficient. However, as is the case with most "new" designs, the C32-8s were failures. They were incredibly unreliable, with blown engines, oil leaks, and a particularly vulnerable electronic system (I was told the wires were made of aluminum as opposed to copper, and as a result would corrode or break easily). Crews hated these locomotives. In one photo, a crew member wrote "Nice piece of JUNK" in the grime (see it here- <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://crcyc.railfan.net/locos/ge/8c32/cr6612tankbe.jpg">http://crcyc.railfan.net/locos/ge/8c32/cr6612tankbe.jpg</a><!-- m --> ). Because they were so unreliable even when new, they were often neglected in favor of keeping "better" engines on the road. As a result, they were seldom repaired, and i don't think they were ever over hauled.

Despite their unreliable reputation, a few of these locomotives were loaned to the Southern Pacific. They retained their Conrail livery, but featured a red "L" on the side to show their leased status. all the units that were leased to SP were returned.

In the twilight years of Conrail, all the C32-8s were repainted into the gray and black "Ballast Express" Scheme, but once again, were not rebuilt or over hauled. the "new" paint did not last long, and most were covered in oil not a few weeks after leaving the paint shop. At this time, Conrail was about a year away from the NS/CSX split of Conrail. Despite their "Ballast Express" markings, you could still often find these GEs pulling regular freight trains just as they did before. Most were scrapped not long into their careers with NS or CSX. At least one went to Brazil. Another ran a little while longer on an industrial line in Georgia before being scrapped. None are known to exist in the US anymore.

Railfans on the other hand have always liked the odd ball locomotives. Though considered quite ugly due to their "hump backed" appearance, the units had character that earned them popularity.

My model is a Heavily modified Rail Power Products shell, and is in the final stages of completion. The only thing left for me to do is to finish superdetailing the frame (including air tanks, piping, rigging, brake chains), and to add lights. She should then be ready to hit the road, hopefully more reliable than the real thing! If anyone wants to make one of these engines, the two things they must do is add the right-sided hand brake, and replace the cast radiator screens with detail Associates photo etched parts. Other than that, the Rail power parts should be a good match!

[Image: morerostershots12141002.jpg]

Conrail GP38 #7868 "Conrail Philadelphia Division"

#7868 was a former Penn Central GP38. It was repainted with a "Conrail Philadelphia Division Safety" logo sometime in the early 90s and was on display at Steam Town for a while. a former Reading SW1001 also got a similar paint job. I wish i knew what the occasion was about, but i haven't found any details yet. This unit kept it's paint scheme until Norfolk Southern rebuilt the unit in recent years.

As a model, it is one of my earliest locomotives, and until i started to be able to afford nice Atlas engines, was one of my primary locomotives. Unfortunately, there appears to be something up with it's motor, and it hasn't run right ever since i installed DCC in it. I've discussed it with others, and we suspect the motor has a loose winding in it.

It was also one of my earliest super detailing attempts, and these days the engine is looking as beat up as the prototype did at the end of Conrail! The model was part of a Special edition that came with a GP38-2 and an SW1000 painted to match the real GP38 and SW1001. While i do own the athearn #9402, i don't typically count it in my rosters, not only because its a dummy, but because Conrail didn't even own an SW1000. I've considered kitbashing it into an SW1001, but i haven't drawn up and detailed plans yet. If i ever do, it will appear on the roster here.

the GP38 model itself had to be "downgraded" from the Dash-2 version, which meant covering the "sight glass" on the side, among other things. In the future, I hope to really repaint the hand rails, and upgrade the pilot details. Nothing is stopping me from adding number boards, i ought do that. It needs some general repairs anyway.

Conrail GP40-2 #3401

Conrail began painting engines in its "Conrail Quality" scheme sometime in the early 90s, or late 80s. #3401 in particular started out as a Conrail locomotive, being one of the very last units of the very last batch of Conrail GP40-2s. The protoype was considered an "Phase III" unit. It has many interesting features, such as "bug eyed" commuter style marker lights on the nose, recessed red markers on the rear hood, and a different arrangement of electrical boxes behind the cab. At some point, however, these markers were replaced with the regular sort, and some of the boxes behind the cab were changed again.

This model represents a typical Conrail switcher in it's later days. Its actually a "new" model. I bought it several years ago, but like the GP38 above, this Athearn RTR hasn't been able to run as well as I'd like it to, but as soon as i work the kinks out, its definitely going to be a target for some weathering, if not a major detail overhaul. The pilot "hole" has got to go! I just need to find some other recent photos of it that AREN'T grainy.

Thats it for tonight, more tommorow!
Conrail B40-8 #5078

The B40-8 was the highest horsepower 4 axle switcher on Conrail. It was also fast. These brutes were originally intended to run fast mail and intermodal trains. At 4,000 horsepower, they could certainly handle it. #5078 was one of a many B40-8s to get a Locomotive Management Service (LMS). These locomotives (along with some C40-8Ws that were totally painted in LMS markings) were part of a joint venture of Conrail with GE. During peak shipping periods, the locomotives would be returned to Conrail, and during the months were shipping was off peak, the LMS locomotives would be leased to other railroads. LMS locomotives could be found across the country.

However, The B40-8 locomotives were soon knocked off the hot trains, as six axle power proved better at moving such trains. B40-8s (like #5078) were then relegated to switching jobs.

Conrail SD60I #5544

The SD60I was one of the first EMD Wide-cabs. #5544 in particular represents an experiment in crew comfort. #5544 was part of an order of SD60Ms (locomotives with standard wide cabs). The 5544 however, was built with an Isolated cab (hence the I), which put the cab on rubber dampeners to reduce noise and stress in the cab. The tell tail indicator is a gasket seam that goes across the nose. This locomotive was purchased in 1992, and was originally one of a kind on the roster. However, the EMD factories became overbooked with SD60M orders, forcing Conrail to purchase and assemble additional SD60I kits a Juniata. these started at #5575 and continued 5654. #5544 was never renumbered into the SD60Is, and the 3,800 horsepower locomotives are interchangeable.

[Image: morerostershots12141001.jpg]
I have a new Silverliner III to add to the roster. For some reason, i cannot edit these old posts, so i'll have to make a new one. You can go back to page 2 for the info on the Silverliner III

Also, some Corrections to my previous posts Some of the MU designations are different

The Silverliner IV 9019is technically a Reading Class REG-14. the classification MA1E is a Penn Central classification for the same thing. These continued into Conrail.

I'm thinking they kept the Reading Classes because they were slightly different from their Penn Central versions. Reading catenary was more lightly constructed than the PRR versions, and so their pantographs had less pressure. Even more interesting, all Reading MUs feature Cow catchers, even the Silverliner IVs! These were truck mounted. SEPTA removed the cowcatchers from the Silverliner IVs and replaced them with Penn Central Style pilots. However, the Silverliner IIs (Reading Class REB-13) still have the cow catchers. They're certainly an interesting detail.
A New Conrail Unit for the Roster!

Conrail SW1200 #9344 (Likely to be Renumbered 9340)

At the formation of Conrail, the railroad had the largest fleet of locomotives on the continent. Among the locomotives coming in from the Conrail Component railroads were 68 of the 1,200 Horse power EMD switchers, contributed by Penn Central, Erie Lackawanna, and the Reading Company. These switchers found themselves spread across the Conrail system, working in yards and on locals. The more run down units were scrapped or sold in the first 5-6 years of Conrail, though many lasted into the 1990s.

The SW1200 was the next step after the SW900 series. Introduced in 1954, the SW1200 had more capabilities than previous SW series units, including the ability to MU, and Extended Range fuel tanks. Flexicoil trucks were also an option. However, other than a few battery box details, the body was externally identical to the SW900. This particular unit represents a former Penn Central unit.

As a model, its is an older Proto 2000 model, and it does need some detailing to look "just right". However, one major issue is the Road Number and paint. The 9344 didn't have a Conrail logo until the early half of the 1980s, and so it doesn't necessarily fit into my 1978-1979 time frame. its sibling, #9340, did operate in New Jersey for a time, and had the whole logo. Unfortuneately, the font on the P2k model is larger than the Microscale decals, and so i may need to remove the whol road number if i can't find matching Decals.

I'll probably replace the horn, handrails, and MU stands with better parts, as well as add the "zig-zag" piping that is mounted along side the fuel tanks of these units.

[Image: p5030014.jpg]

[Image: p5030013.jpg]
Here is a change in the roster, though more roster posts will come soon.

Conrail E33 4610
(Formerly 4603 from the first page)

Conrail's rectifier fleet (consisting of 10 E33s, 44 E44, and 22 E44A electrics) were in fact very well maintained, and even the short lived E40s (former New Haven EP5 "jets") did recieve fresh black paint, despite retirement within a year of April 1, 1976. In fact, Electrics, such as E44 #4414 were among the first locomotives to recieve conrail blue.

Conrail's electrics also underwent several rebuilding programs, which included the E33s. Up until this point, they had contained Mercury Arc rectifiers, or "Ignitrons". These were large devices with a pool of mercury in the bottom, making them hazardous and expensive. Many were rebuilt with Silicon diode rectifiers, and all but two of the E33s recieved a fresh coat of blue paint (most would be retired looking brand new).

Though electric freight operations were coming to an end during the early 1980s, there did seem to be some indication that Conrail may have been interested in continuing operations for as long as it was reasonable. Even after conrail ended its electric operations in late 1981, it would rebuild one E44A in storage, #4453, into a special experimental unit in the mid 1980s. Though it did pull some trains, tests were short and it went back to GE where it was stored and probably scrapped.

My #4610 will eventually reflect the changes that rebuilding has brought it. The model was originaly numbered 4603, but as it turns out, 4603 never recived blue paint in its life (along with 4607). 4610 on the other hand was not only one of the first to recieve blue paint, but also one of the first to be rebuilt with the new rectifier gear. Fortuneately, the differences are minimal, the primary diffence being the addition of new vents (much like those found on the E44As), and rearranged louvers along the roof-top "box". It will also need silver "kick plates" on the grabirons around the side.

I also made the "standard" modifications: Repainted it to match prototype paint patterns, added a larger cab signal box (bachmann's box was not quite right), a sinclair antenna, and replaced the stock horn with a more accurate brass horn, relocated in the proper position (some E33s kept their original horns, others recieved the usual RSL horns found on Conrail road switchers).

[Image: p7060639.jpg]
While some of Conrail's electrics were maintained to keep them running for as long as electrification would continue, the GG1s were not so lucky.

The original production run occurred during 1935, and additional runs were built between 1937 and 1943. At 139 units, the GG1s became the mainstay of the PRR's electrified lines. The GG1 would outlast all of it's contemporaries. By 1962, the PRR's once eclectic mix of electric types were retired or being phased out, coinciding with the arrival of the new E44 rectifiers. They became the ONLY power on electric passenger trains. By the 1970s, the GG1s were almost anachronistic, a streamlined steam-era locomotive in an age of utilitarian brick-shaped diesels and electrics. They had become split between Penn Central and Amtrak, with three scrapped.

Even so, the GG1s continued to be frequent sights, with only a handful lost to the scrapper's torch. Many GG1s began to seem invincible. One such GG1 was #4840. This GG1 was the first production GG1, arriving in April 1935. Rivaled in aged only by the prototype #4800, It was re-geared for freight service in the 1940 and would continue to grind its way through nearly 45 years of service. It was among the last standing of Conrail's GG1 fleet, operating up until retirement in December 1979 (a handful more lasted on Amtrak, the last on NJ transit).

Unlike the rectifiers, which could have potentially lasted another few decades themselves, the GG1's days were truly numbered, as planned changes in the type of electricity used on the Northeast Corridor, as well as becoming just plain worn out, forcing their retirement.

The model is a Broadway Limited Imports. It originally was a Penn Central unit, but I removed the paint and installed the Conrail patches (much like the prototype!). Here are some pictures, just to show the span of the GG1's life time.

Here it is upon delivery with Raymond Loewy.

[Image: loewygg1.jpg]

In the 1950s, the 5-stripes were replaced with a single stripe and a large Keystone. Upon the Penn Central merger in 1968, these Keystone were removed and often replaced with Penn Central logos like this

[Image: p6300547.jpg]

Finally, at the end of it's journey, the Penn Central logos were removed with CR patches. Its days were applied. My model does not do it justice, at this time in it's life, the Brunswick green has faded into a gray, the buff stripe intact but rust stained and pastel. Definite a future weathering project!

[Image: p7020566.jpg]
These graphs were part of a statistics practice sheet I did. It was basically a way to get back in tune with using Excel, but I figured they'd belong here-

[Image: locomotiverosterchartoc.jpg]

[Image: locomotiverosterchartii.jpg]
Graphs need more details.

Somewhat related: is there any argument against building a new fleet of GG1s with modern electrics?
And how many sets of proposed successors did they survive?
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
BR60103 Wrote:Graphs need more details.

you're kidding right? Wallbang Icon_lol

Quote:Somewhat related: is there any argument against building a new fleet of GG1s with modern electrics?
And how many sets of proposed successors did they survive?

Existing GG1s have microscopic but hazardous cracks in their frames, making them unsafe. the GG1s were literally pushed to the limit that their parts could handle. Besides, the configuration of the GG1 doesn't really give it any major advantages over a more conventional type like the AEM7.

As far as surviving successors, the GG1 never really had any Successors. Though other electric types came and went, there was not really any drive to replace the GG1 until their twilight years. The only direct successors were the E60CP/E60CH (which did not perform well initially), and the AEM7 (which was superior to everything else pulling passengers under the wire for Amtrak at that time). Keep in mind that the AEM7s that picked up where the GG1s left off in 1981 are nearly as old as the GG1. Though Amtrak plans to replace many with the new "American Euro Sprinter", a couple of the Rebuilt AEM7s are going to soldier on a while longer.

Freight locomotives like the E44 didn't really succeed the GG1. Rather, the E44 succeeded everything else (all of PRR's other classes of electrics, with the exception of the B1 switchers, were replaced by the E44). Besides, many GG1s operated solely in passenger service, where nothing ever competed with them.

I think the GG1's real claim to fame was that it was an anachronism by the time they retired it. By 1983, when the last steam-era GG1s were retired, the very first microproccessor equipped locomotives were showing up. By this point, streamlining was a long, LONG gone concept under the wire, and all other locomotives had embraced a utilitarian, boxy shape, as opposed to sleek stylized lines. It didn't run on 4 or 6 axle trucks, it had a Steam Railroad frame.

Essentially, It was designed so well that no one could replace it until high technology finally caught up with it in the Early 80s, and by then the GG1s had actually reached the limit of wear and tear they could handle before becoming unsafe (such as the microfissures in the frame).
I grew up riding behind GG1s. I always thought it was fun leaving Newark southbound to feel the acceleration push me back in my seat as the loco throttled up to cruising speed. But then I rode behind a nearly new AEM7 in the same situation, and its acceleration REALLY pushed me back in my seat! I guess they didn't call them Swedish meatballs for nothing.