N Scale switching layout plan help needed PLZ
Looks good, Auzze.

Depending on the desired traffic pattern on your layout, here is a suggested modification to give you a little more yard capacity - don't make all the yard tracks be double ended - your layout will be fully functional with just one runaround:

[Image: auzze01.jpg]

Another neat trick, which you may or may not want to consider, is one that Byron Henderson used on his N scale San Jose Shelf Switcher - making a runaround track that bends around the corner by using two curved turnouts as part of the runaround:

http://www.layoutvision.com/gallery/id25.html

Smile,
Stein
I like Stein's latest revision. It makes sense to me since the shortness of the track to the right of the yard makes the double-ended yard somewhat useless.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
HI..

Made a few changes to the interchang yard in Mark2 and in Mark3 I made the run-a-round longer.

I'm starting to like the Mark 3 plan.
Let me know what you think

Auzze
For whatever it is worth, I really like the changes in mark 3.

Yard changes I proposed, so of course I already agree with those. But doing the crossing up top on the right side is not a bad idea either - gives you a longer industry track for the center industry along the top, and a need to do some runaround moves while switching this area as well.

Enlarging the siding around the corner, with the crossover in the middle there, both look good scenically, and gives you more flexibility.

In my opinion, a nice switching plan.

Smile,
Stein
That is a great switching layout. The much longer run around with the crossing looks great and will open lots of opportunities for switching but it might be the prototype would have saved the investment for the crossover. The crossover is convenient but not necessary. I did spend myself a similar double crossover in the center of my layout. Very convenient but I seriously doubt how prototypical my track layout is at that point.
Reinhard
HI..

While waiting for the track I thought I would add a 1'x4' side peice to see what it would look like.
This would keep 2 switching crew very busy four a few hours or 1 crew a full on days work. I don't think I would have enough car to fill the layout.

May never happen.

Thanks
Auzze
Looks great. I think that switching layout would be a lot of fun.
AuzzeMit Wrote:I thought I would add a 1'x4' side peice to see what it would look like.
Auzze;
This is a really nice plan. If you can, I would certainly include the 4 foot extension - however, I'd eliminate the switchback access to the large industry (area outlined in red on the drawing).    
You'd be sorry if you did that. It may appear to add operating interest, but in reality it only adds a very unrealistic headache! That industry looks as though it could hold at least 4 cars - each of which would need to be spotted at a specific door or location - and the tail track appears to only hold an engine and one car. Imagine the ridiculous moves you'd have to make in order to get your cars pulled and placed.

I see this sort of thing in model railroad plans all the time and as a former railroader, can tell you would would never find this situation on a real railroad. In the very rare cases where a switchback type spur occurs, you'd have more than enough room to pull everything from the industry. I suggest you read this article on Byron Henderson's web site which explains why you wouldn't want to do this [http://www.layoutvision.com/id16.html].

Changing this to simply having a curved turnout lead to the industry, would also eliminate the need for the runaround track on the extension.

Just my thoughts - as I said, this is a nice plan with plenty of prototypical operating potential. Go for it!!!
Ed
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
For whatever it may be worth, I agree with Ed about that switchback. Add a curved turnout into that industry, and make the middle track on the peninsula single ended.

You now have three rail served industries down there, with three single ended tracks between two lowermost ones. The middle track can be used to hold cars just pulled (or about to be spotted), or even to spot cars for either building (which could be loaded or unloaded by putting boards between the door of the car closest to the building and the car on the middle track.

For that matter - you could remove the topmost building on the peninsula, and make that track shorter, using it to load or unload stuff from the tanks down there. Create some visual variation. Also, it is pretty hard to reach things on a single track between two buildings on a model railroad.

[Image: peninsula.jpg]

Smile
Stein