What Era, Railroads, & Locomotives are you set on?
I'm currently building a representation of Erie RR 149th Street Harlem Station
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index">http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index</a><!-- m -->. ... shortline/ base on information found at
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/errhs.html">http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/errhs.html</a><!-- m -->
It gets its first public showing in Mid-September.

It is probably the smallest prototype yard ever built, and is a "representation" because, although I could (just about) build the original to scale, it has to fit into my Ford Ka - a British compact - and this limits the baseboard size.
Locos are 2 x boxcabs - MDC shells on modiefied Bachmann "Underground Ernie" chassis, a Spectrum twin motor 44 tonner and a Proto 2000 AlcoS-1, all numbered as their prototype. These are the actual complete set of locos that operated the actual yard. Traffic is mainly 40' box cars, and reefers, together with the occasional flat, gondola or hopper. The carfloat (staging) is simulated (off-layout) using a pair of double length Peco Locolifts as cassettes.
Rail is currently unballasted, but hopefully that will be done after the exhibition.

Period is between late 1930s- 1960s, achieved by changing locos and truck/car traffic
Layout is DC (since it is only ever operated with one loco at a time), and has sound available using an MRC "diesel" soundbox that feeds directly into a set of amplified computer speakers under the layout, with a sub-woofer. Louder sound than is comfortable!

NB the RMweb site is down for a server replacement as I type this - hopefully back on line 1 September.
There is a small amount of early info on the layout here
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29096&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=Erie%2Crr">http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topi ... =Erie%2Crr</a><!-- m -->
Well I plan on modeling a section of Conrail’s Boston Line from CP 109 to CP 79 in Central MA around the 1990 - 2002 timeframe. CP 109 is just west of Westfield, MA and CP79 is East of Palmer, MA. Traffic includes many run throughs between Albany and Boston with many local trains. The center part will be West Springfield Yard and you will have 5 locals originating there and several mainline trains that set out and pick up. 2 Industrial Branch lines are also planed that can keep someone busy for hours.

6 Other Railroads will also be included Pioneer Valley RR in Westfield, Amtrak, Connecticut Southern, and Guilford in Springfield and Mass Central and New England Central/CV in Palmer. Each will interchange with CR and Amtrak runs several trains on the line. Trains use to run between Springfield and Boston in my timeframe along with the Vermonter and Lake Shore Limited. I already have all the main sections drawn and just have to tie them in with mainline. Still left is the large yard in West Springfield but I am still trying to figure out the best way to do that.

Here is how the line goes east to West

CP 79 - MP 78.70
Single to Double Track

Palmer, MA MP 83-MP 84
Double to Single track at MP 83
Mass Central RR
Interchange with Central Vermont/New England Central RR
1 Customer
Traffic - Grain, Cement, Salt, Steel, Intermodal, Plastic Pellets, Lumber, Copper, Fly Ash, Coal, Trash/Scrap, Paper, Limestone Slurry.

Wilbraham, MA MP 89
2 Customers
Traffic - Cement, Trash/Scrap

East Springfield MP 92.5
Single to Double track at MP 92
3 Customers
Traffic - Lumber, Paper, Construction Supplies, Beer

Springfield MP 95
1 Customer
Traffic - Paper

Springfield MP 96.30
2 Branch lines serving a variety of customers and Chemical plant.
Traffic, Chemicals, Coal, Cement, Plastic, Lumber, Construction products, Paper, LPG.

Springfield MP 98
Amtrak Station and Interchange with Guilford and Connecticut Southern RR

West Springfield, MA MP 98.8 - MP 100.5
Medium Class Yard / Intermodal yard.
4 Customers.
Traffic - Plastic Pellets, Propane, Coal, Frozen Food + Interchange with CSO and Guilford along with New Haven, CT Traffic.

Westfield MP 105
1 Customer
Traffic - Ballast

Westfield MP 107 - MP 108
Interchange w Pioneer Valley RR
3 Customers
Traffic - Lumber, Salt, LPG, Plastic Pellets, Coal, Oil, Steel, Frozen Food, Paper.

MP 109 - Double to single track
Mark G
I model the mid 50's, basically 54-57. My previous layotu was goign to include the actual East Penn branch of the reading and I wanted to have the Blandon Low Grade linew in place as well as the Temple hill track, so that made my earliest 1956. I've stretched it a bit so I can run my T-1 steamers. If I ever get to build my 'dream' layout I'll have to once again decide if I want the Low Grade or not - although I lean to having it inluded simply because the price of a nice N-1 to use as a pusher on the Hill track is out of my range right now.
My 'dream' layout would go from staging representing Allentown and east through to Reading, witht he yard modeled. ANd Outer Station - I haven't seen anyone build one of those yet. The various line sout of Reading - mainline north and to Philly, and the Lebenon Valley, would all go to staging/loops. Along the way I would have the S&L maybe up as far as Evansville, the Allentown RR to Kutztown, the C&F up to West Catty with staging representing Catty, I'd throw the Ironton in there as an excuse to buy another of those wonderful Stewart Baldwin switchers. And the Perk maybe down to East Greenville or so, with staging for the rest of that. Depending ont he romm I'd have ot build this in, some of the branches might connect back on one another, say the Catty staging and the Perk Branch staging, for some continuous running even though it certainly wouldn't be realistic. For operations each branch would dead end at the staging yard.

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com
My LC&P is set in the mid 40's to early 50's in the New Mexico area. (Both of the town names - Las Cruces and Portales are real towns....Our friend Fifer lives in LC..) There is no attempt to model the towns themselves . The only attempt at including anything prototypical is the inclusion of the Lometa roundhouse (<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2974">viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2974</a><!-- l -->). The time period is just enough to encompass late steam and early diesel operations. The focus is on old, grundgy survivors of the steam heyday tucked away in the middle of nowhere.... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
tomustang Wrote:Do you have a time frame where you're set, time of year?

I'm trying to stick to the Early Conrail period (1976-1981), though specifically 1979, as that's when the Conrail GG1s finally came off line. For a few months at the end, an E44 and an AEM7 could be seen passing each other.

Quote:Are Steam, Diesel, Electric or all/some of both?

well, I'm probably one of the only people here who can proudly say OVER 50% ELECTRIC. the rest are diesels, mostly 4 axle road switchers and some additional commuter engines.

Basically, the electrics handle just about all the passenger work, and some of the "main" freight, and the 4 axle diesels do the local switching, just like the prototype.

Quote:What are your railroads and what's the rolling stock consist of for deliveries/industries?

Conrail has the largest numbers on my roster, followed by Amtrak and NJ transit (though technically the NJ DOT is more accurate for the time period, and i will add more units to match).

My passenger is handled almost entirely by Comet II push pull cars (NJ Transit or SEPTA, depending on what i feel like), but lately more and more Electric Multiple units are coming online (though they all require additional work for them to be "regulars" on the layout).

My layout currently has only one industry (used to be three, but it was too cluttered so i made one industry expanded). THe Magic Pan bakery gets Insulated and clean lading boxcars, Cornsyrup/vegetable oil tank cars, and various covered hoppers like Air slides and Pneumatic types.

Quote:Is it Freelance or Compressed Prototype or even exact scale replica?

I try to add elements that remind me of that north jersey area outside of New York City that I like, though currently my layout doesn't really match any particular prototype. Its small, I'm only going for that feel. Technically, i could say my layout is in southeast Pennsylvania and run SEPTA equipment instead of NJ transit, and it would still look right. Flexibility is important to me.

Quote:So what are your plans or completed plans for your Railroad/Layout/Engine/Stock?

The current locomotive plan is to acquire more GG1s (approximately 5, one amtrak, three conrail, and a single NJ DOT GG1), Two married pair sets of Arrow IIs (to be painted in NJ DOT/ Penn Central), and to complete a trade for 6 Married pair sets (12 cars) of Arrow III MUs. Powered MP54s by concor may be in my future.

I may attempt a modern ACES train (atlantic city express service), an interesting Bi-level train that has a diesel and an electric on each end of the train, which runs electric down the NEC and diesel to AC, using the electric as a cab control car. Additional freight cars, such as old style autoracks and other 70s era freight equipment to match my Conrail electrics.

I have new plans for an addition, but nothing is set in stone. I am closer now than before to finding a modular solution.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
I model the period of 1920-1990. It runs in circles and figure 8, from Godunk to Podunk, and may stop at Rotchere and Oerthar. It uses Big Boys, Challenger and E8/9 plus a GP something or other. It is real fun watching the little people railfan cause they never know what to expect is going to come around the curve.

Being the Great Presidential Potentate and Executer (yup, spelled right) I get to declare what runs and when. Sure is lots of fun.

Lynn
Whitehouse, Tx
I model modern day railroading in both freelance (my Grande Valley Railway) and prototype (CSX).

My Grande Valley has always been a modern day railroad ever since I created it in 1978.

Being a multi scaler I can model different versions of the GVR in different scales.My locomotive choices range from EMD GP 9s to to SD 70Ms,with a smattering of GE Dash 7/8/9s thrown in for the sake of varieity.(plus I like the looks of the GE's.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
I'm with Lynn...If I want to run something just for the heck of it, I cobble together a bit of this & that...and sit back to watch it rack up the miles.... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
Late 1884-early 1885, the Denver South Park & Pacific (along with the Colorado Central, sister roads with heavy interchange). The primary locomotives where Cooke Moguls and Cooke 2-8-0s. The secondary included Baldwin 2-8-0s, Brooks 2-6-0s, Mason Bogies, and a 4-4-0. The portion of the railroad is Gunnison up through Alpine Tunnel to a point beyond (a focus on the Pitkin-Hancock helper district...4 locomotives to move 15 freight cars). I'll have a few cars lettered for the 1890s (DL&G), 1905 (C&S), and the 1930s (C&S). On3

1940s Oahu Railway. Power included 0-6-0s (yards), 2-8-0s, 2-8-2s, and 4-6-0s. I will not model the diesels which worked the yards/docks alongside the 0-6-0s...nor will I model the railbuses. My track plan will be based on the 1920s and most of the rolling stock will be 1940s. Certain locomotives will be in there earlier appearance...especially 4-6-0 #64 which was rebuilt in an ugly manner. The layout will include the docks, Iwilei yards, the industrial switching (canneries, fertilizer, oil, lumber, stockyard), the junction at Waipahu, and some of the industries between there and around Kaena Pt. On3

The Oahu Railway will be the main deck and designed for operation. The South Park will be an eye level layout designed for scenery (limited operation to prevent the disaster of operating crews mangling the rolling stock while attempting to uncouple the Link & Pin couplers)

I'll do some stuff with the NKP in HO, probably modular and set between 1946 and July 1948 (the road power was still 100% steam). The power will be Nickel Plate hudsons (my favorite locomotives), an NKP pacific, an H-5 2-8-2, and, of course, NKP 765 (I rode her today and will do so again tomorrow).

No diesels...unless I build a White Pass unit, get a really good deal on a P2K PA-1, or perhaps one of Grandt Line's discontinued NCNG diesel kits (On3).

Everything is prototypical, but I'm not a stickler for out-of-era models running on my layout(s). I'm interested in what was...and I'll gladly run a 1920s train on a 1940s layout...but I must have enough equipment for the correct time period.

Michael
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
nkp_174 Wrote:Late 1884-early 1885, the Denver South Park & Pacific

I've heard a lot of chatter on layouts in this era; either the practitioners are better than average communicators, or the era is becoming more popular. Or some well known modelers of the era are inspiring others (which I suppose is a combination of the first two)

nkp_174 Wrote:On3

NOT a common choice nowadays, especially with the rise of On30. Will this layout be proto48? My impression is that modelers in this scale / gauge are more prototype focused

nkp_174 Wrote:The Oahu Railway will be the main deck and designed for operation. The South Park will be an eye level layout designed for scenery

I like the idea of splitting interests; it would keep inspiration fresh at the expense of more running room for one scale. Nice combination of layout roles as well

nkp_174 Wrote:(limited operation to prevent the disaster of operating crews mangling the rolling stock while attempting to uncouple the Link & Pin couplers)

I think you may have answered the "proto48" question above! Big Grin And, what, you don't trust your guys to handle inky dinky links with tweezers (or whatever the process is)? 357

nkp_174 Wrote:No diesels
Thumbsup

nkp_174 Wrote:NKP 765 (I rode her today and will do so again tomorrow).
Was up to see 763 and the roundhouse again a couple of weeks ago. That got us talking about steam excursions; may try to get up to the Cadillac excursion next month.
Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio
Do you have a time frame where you're set, time of year?

I'm a "range" guy, albeit narrowish; 1934 - 1937

Are Steam, Diesel, Electric or all/some of both?

Steam. Unless I can find an excuse to use an Alco HH. A low rpm four stroke 6 cylinder is getting close to steam in exhaust cadence!

What are your railroads and what's the rolling stock consist of for deliveries/industries?
Haven't worked all of this out; coal, oil, powder (gun) and possibly raw and finished brick and glass materials / products. At least one lumber set off.

Is it Freelance or Compressed Prototype or even exact scale replica?
A combination. N&W influenced with prototypically correct locomotives and locations. This part is influenced by my father, who watched trains along the N&W in Circleville Ohio. However, I like the idea of small merchandise trains and light steam (light Mikes) running on secondary mainlines, which fit a basement better and allow for more varied switching. This part is influenced by railroads such as the B&O, AC&Y and W&LE.
So my goal is to design a good way to integrate my interests into my version of the real N&W.
Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio
MGWSY Wrote:<snip>
Wilbraham, MA MP 89
2 Customers
<snip>

I really admire this type or research MG! Makes it much easier to determine what types of industries "should" be there!
Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio
Greetings Matt!

I plan to build some Proto:48 for the display cars...Nickel Plate caboose 141...with two copies going to the gentlemen to restored the actual car.

Had fun up on the Cuyahoga Valley. The Saturday trip was ok. It left the yards 1.5hrs late or so, but got to see the Vicoso 0-4-0t run through...followed by the very full Bicycle train which caused our delay. I didn't hear one complaint from the passengers. The CVS had some excellent BBQ for us. The photo runbys were after dark. Boy, the inspection pit in the CVS shops is impressive...ramp access and open on the side (as if the track were on a trestle in the pit).

Today's trip was smooth. We left the yards on time, I'd say around 10am. Picked up the passengers around 10:30ish. At various points in the trip, I road every piece of equipment other than the FL9 on the rear end. The trip was 45 miles each way, 30mph railroad. We started around 10 miles south of Cleveland and stopped a mile or two south of the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton. The CVS had some good BBQ for us in Canton. We met their regular train going to and fro. The return meeting was slick...a rolling meet. 765 could easily handle twice the 9 car train (the diesel on the other end would probably need help to pull the train back, either 765 pushing or a second diesel).

On Saturday, I met the rest of my party (including an 84 year old retired Nickel Plate Engineer/Fireman...he started on the road in 1947...when the road power was 100% steam...he ran the berkshires in regular service) at the Age of Steam Roundhouse. I can't think of it as anything other than the 8th Wonder of the World. My last trip by it 9-10 months ago...when 763 was the only steam locomotive on site. I hope you make it up to Cadillac. There'll be some stuff next year, but no guarantees on anything being in Ohio/MI/IN.

I like picking a period more than a particular day. I regard 1946-1948 to be the pinnacle of the NKP: 1946 is when the hudsons got their elephant ears and the berks had their flying number boards. 1948 is when the PAs arrived and, for a brief few months, the R Class 4-6-0s were still around. Sure, there were only two lightweight cars on the roster, but there were no Mars lights and plenty of 2-8-0s. 1884-1885 for the South Park is similar. The conversion from Eames to WABCo brakes occurred during the Winter '83-84, and the Cooke moguls and Penninsular freight cars arrived early in 1884. In mid '85, the UP reunumbered the roster and all of the ornate builders' paint jobs were replaced with plain black.

The South Park is renowned for its beautiful scenery and equipment...certainly in the top tier with the best world wide. But it isn't great for operations...especially when those O-gauge guys come to play! I don't know that they know how to use tweezers Misngth I'm sure that plenty of HO guys would attempt the old "pick the car up while rubbing the paint and smashing the details in order to uncouple it" trick and then start shaking it trying to uncouple the L&Ps. Then, there is whole issue with the relatively light traffic on the South Park over Alpine Pass. The Oahu Railway would have 160 trains entering and leaving the Iwilei yard limit every day. Its arid, island scenery contrasts so nicely with Colorado. And the knuckle couplers are sufficiently familiar for the crews.

I love On3. I'm glad that On30 exists for parts, but its RTR advantages don't really help for a devoted prototype modeler such as myself. I plan to build my 2-8-0s and two of the 0-6-0s out of the B-man 2-8-0 mechanism (5-10min to regauge...far longer to do everything else). One of the IF 4-4-0 mechanisms will become OR&L #15. The 2-8-2s and 3-truck shays will have to be K-28 and WSL shay conversions. The 4-6-0s will have to be scratch. The little 0-6-0s might be able to start from the OF forney drivers...

I really love the increase in 1930s and 1900s modeling. Such neat and often overlooked eras. Colorful boiler jackets were not abnormal and the greater variety of branchline power.

Michael
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
Fluesheet Wrote:
MGWSY Wrote:<snip>
Wilbraham, MA MP 89
2 Customers
<snip>

I really admire this type or research MG! Makes it much easier to determine what types of industries "should" be there!

Well Its my area that I grew up in and watched trains and Palmer is where I work out of on the NECR so I know a lot about the traffic and industries on the line which makes it a lot easier to build trains and I know what kind of freight cars fit. Working for a RR also making me notice that a lot of the cars you see just go in a circle back and forth from shipper to customer and are basically in captive service. Now I am also a fan Of the Northeast Corridor and like Commuter trains from Metro North, MBTA, NJT, and LIRR along with Amtrak, AEM-7's are one of my favorite locos as I have a sweet spot for 7000hp electrics, LOL. Now my only problem for the layout is getting the proper CR locos as the Boston Line was primarily GE territory along with Cab signals so foreign power was rare on trains. If someone made C32-8's, C30-7a's, and C39-8's then that would help out a lot. Local's used mainly B23-7 pairs with a GP15 tossed in here and there and SD80Mac's were common on the line to. Now even though I plan on a prototype location I will run anything I have from Steam locos to oddball trains that never ran on the line and even some European stuff I have.
Mark G