Wheelin' n Dealin' 55n3 Ten-Wheelin'
We have a webpage examining HO mechanisms convertible to 55n3 ten-wheelers like
the RGS #20 at:

http://www.55n3.org/locomotives/ten-wheelers/

[Image: mantua_frame.jpg]

[Image: mantua_boiler.jpg]

Thank you if you visit
Harold
Would somebody please tell me what 55n3 is? I've been around a good little while and I've never heard of it.

Thanks
Gord Schneider
Port Credit, Ontario
President and Chief Engineer
Kootenay Lakes Steam & Navigation Co. Ltd.
It's a scale that Harold invented. It's been awhile since he posted at RR-L but as best as I can remember I think it had sumthin' to do with Bachmann On30 mechs with S scale cabs or sumthin'. Maybe Harold will drop back in with a better explanation.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I'm sure that Harold would love to take credit for inventing it, but he didn't...

At a scale of 5.5 millimeters to 1 foot, it is in between O scale and S scale.

Regular HO track is 16.5mm gauge which is 3-feet in this scale.

In model railroading it can be confusing when it comes to the terms scale and gauge...

They are often incorrectly used interchangeably.

Scale: is the proportion of the model to the real thing.

Gauge: relates firstly to itself. The actual gauge of the track. 16.5mm, 32mm, 45mm etc...

Secondly, Gauge as it relates to the scale models that are on it. 16.5mm = standard gauge for HO / 00 scale models. The same 16.5mm gauge = 42-inch gauge for S-Scale. 16.5mm gauge = 36-inch gauge in Scale 55. 16.5mm gauge = 30-inch gauge for American O-scale, but is slightly different to UK 7mm scale. Then, 16.5mm gauge = 15-inch gauge for G-scale.

Other actual gauges of 8mm, 12mm, 14mm, 32mm etc... Scale to different modeled gauge/scales....

For a full breakdown of Gauges and Scales take a look at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://carendt.com/articles/scaleguide.html">http://carendt.com/articles/scaleguide.html</a><!-- m --> Carl's Guide to Scales and Gauges.
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Toronto, Ontario, Dominion of Canada
Ontario Narrow Gauge Show
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog
TinGoat Wrote:I'm sure that Harold would love to take credit for inventing it, but he didn't...
Checking to see if anyone had visited my last post I found that rudeness.

Sorry, I never claimed to have invented 55n3.

There are references on my website of the people who have done this before.

Quoting from my website: "There has been modeling 2 foot prototypes. They have been modeling in 5.5mm/foot since 1963."

Thanks for never visiting the website.

Harold
Hey Harold,

I've visited your site many times and through many incarnations and I like it a lot.

Get some perspective and read the whole thread before taking offense.

I was responding to this:

Tyson Rayles Wrote:It's a scale that Harold invented. It's been awhile since he posted at RR-L but as best as I can remember I think it had sumthin' to do with Bachmann On30 mechs with S scale cabs or sumthin'. Maybe Harold will drop back in with a better explanation.

By saying this:

TinGoat Wrote:I'm sure that Harold would love to take credit for inventing it, but he didn't...

It wasn't meant to be rude. Tyson was the one who said you invented 55n3.

hminky Wrote:Checking to see if anyone had visited my last post I found that rudeness.

Sorry, I never claimed to have invented 55n3.

There are references on my website of the people who have done this before.

Quoting from my website: "There has been modeling 2 foot prototypes. They have been modeling in 5.5mm/foot since 1963."

Thanks for never visiting the website.

Harold
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Toronto, Ontario, Dominion of Canada
Ontario Narrow Gauge Show
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog
Well I wasn't trying to be rude either, I thought I was giving proper credit to Harold as I had never heard of it before. I didn't mean any disrespect.
Mike

Harold may not have invented the scale, but he is about the only person in the world trying to popularize this particular combination of scale and gauge. So to other people it is "55n3? That's the Harold Minky thing".

Basically doing On30 (1:48 scale on 16.5 mm gauge track/mechanisms - like H0 scale standard gauge), but pretending that it is 3 foot narrow gauge instead of 30" narrow gauge by calling it 1:55 scale instead of 1:48 scale, using 1:56 scale (28 mm) military figures to establish scale. Changing scale for the visible parts while using a 16.5 mm gauge mechanism under is easier than keeping scale constant at 1:48 scale, and change track gauge and mechanisms to be correct for 3 foot gauge in O scale.

Smile,
Stein
I don't get the "it has to be 3 foot " deal. There were plenty of 30" and 24" and other gauges as well.
Mike