best finish paint
which paint brand will give me the most durable finish. I am in the process of applying the decals on a Bowser steam local and was just wondering if the Kemtron Matt Finish can of spray paint would give me the most durable finish. I don't own an air brush which most of you would suggest to use.
There is probably more than one right answer depending on:

1) How you will apply it; and
2) To what surface you are applying it.

With a bit more info, you'll get a better answer I think.

Andrew
leon Wrote:which paint brand will give me the most durable finish. I am in the process of applying the decals on a Bowser steam local and was just wondering if the Kemtron Matt Finish can of spray paint would give me the most durable finish. I don't own an air brush which most of you would suggest to use.
Leon, first apply the Glossy clear, then the decals, decal solvent, let it dry , then use the dull finish of your choice. Make sure it is a low humidity day or the clear may "Blush".
I have an air brush and still prefer to use he clear from spray cans. The Kemtron works very well for me.
Charlie
Thanks Charley. I have been around this hobby for a good many years most of them being Armchair. I have built a few kit locos in the past and was just wanting some advice from someone very active in the hobby as yourself. So thanks again.

Leon
If you are painting brass or die cast metal:

1) wash the piece thoroughly with dish detergent and water, and let dry.
2) etch the piece in a mild acid solution, such as white vinegar. The paint will adhere much better if the surface is etched.
3) Use the primer of your choice, but make sure it says for metal. You can use a spray can or an airbrush.
3) Apply color coat. I find petroleum based paints work best on metal.
4) After the paint is dry to the touch, place on an old baking sheet and into a 200-250 degree oven for about 45 minutes to an hour. This bakes on and hardens the finish. Again, no plastic here.
5) apply gloss coat, decals, weathering, or finish however you desire.

For painting plastics:
1) wash the piece thoroughly with dish detergent and water, and let dry.
2) Apply color coat. I usually find primer is not needed on plastic. I have had luck with both Acrylic and Petroleum paint on plastic, but prefer to Petro paint for airbrushing.
3) Apply lacquer clear or dull coat. I find the lacquer coats greatly add to the durability of the finished model.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->