L&N Industrial Rail Spur
After months of "analysis paralysis" and changing my mind numerous times, I finally took a different approach and have come up with two slightly different versions of a switching layout. The "different approach" was to select the industries that I wanted on the layout and ones that would support the types of equipment I have - the era I am modeling (late 70's to early 80's) - and a mid-west locale.

Since I worked for the L&N Railroad through the 1970's before going back to short line railroading, I wanted the plan to be based on an L&N industrial spur so I could operate L&N power (C-420's - NW-2's - SW-1200's - SW-1500's - MP15's, etc.) in the various paint schemes - the L&N Rebel scheme, Family Lines - even Seaboard System.

The closest thing that I found that would match what I was looking for was Lynch Road in Evansville, Indiana (an area I frequently visit), and my plan is loosely based on that industrial spur, although it's really free-lanced and includes some features from L&N industrial spurs in other areas. I did resist the temptation to fill every available spot with track to duplicate the prototype track to scenery ratio and also I like the nice flat terrain in this area.

Overall, there are just four main industries on the plan, although version 2 adds a fifth.
1) Team Track or Trans-load Track as they are called these days, that will receive lumber, building products, and other odds and ends (2 or 3 cars spot).
2) A farm co-op that will receive feed and fertilizers (3 or 4 cars spot).
3) A Coca-Cola bottling plant receiving tank cars of corn syrup - perfect foreground industry as I need only model the unloading pipes (2 cars spot, room for 1 being held).
4) Temple-Inland Containers - receiving box cars of pulpboard (4 cars spot).

Any way, at this point I'm ready to start laying the track, but am still stuck with a bit of "analysis paralysis" in so far as I'm undecided which of these two versions of the plan to call the final version! The overall plan dimensions are 18 inches X 20 feet with a narrower 6 foot staging section for a total "main line" length of 26 feet.
    Version 1 - has a long run-around track as on the prototype spur which would allow the yard crew to enter and leave the spur with the loco leading and permit spotting cars on the one odd facing spur. On the prototype spur, all industrial tracks switch from the same direction except one, so that's more or less prototypical.     In version 2, I have all the industry tracks facing the same direction and have added one other foreground industry along with a highway overpass that sort of separates the main layout from the staging area. Have also included a second track in the staging area, the idea being that I could have two different trains staged to switch the spur (a first shift and third shift crew). I could do the same thing with version 1 if desired.

Since the right most area of the plan is pretty well fixed, I'll no doubt go ahead and at least lay and wire the track for Temple-Inland and Coca-Cola and just temporarily put a long switching lead down until I decide which plan will be the final version. With the switching required for just these two industries, it should give me a good feel for how the plan will work.

Oh yes, on either plan, the staging track area will have scenery too, as the idea of a bare narrow "staging cassette" doesn't appeal to me, and the staging area is permanent and need not be made removable.

Which version appeals to you folks and why?
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
While the prototype would take the upper choice with all tracks facing the same direction I prefer the lower layout for a model. It is simply more "fun" to switch with a run around.
Reinhard
I agree with Reinhard, I like #2 for the added interest of run-arounds. But I would add the second staging track as in the first option.

Edit.... er, mistake. I like number 1 for the runaround, but add the second staging track.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Gary and Reinhard;

After spending some more time this morning positioning track on the bench work, I'm inclined to agree with both of you and for a several reasons.

Including the runaround track does help to capture the flavor of the prototype industrial spur that this is loosely based upon. Also in the era I model, the crew would be working with one of these neat L&N cabs when they worked the spur, which adds some additional moves to the operation...         BUT ALSO something hit me on the head and when I came too, it dawned on me that I could operate the layout as different themes should the mood strike me.

It could be operated as the industrial spur; as a separate small short line operation with a GE 45 tonner or as a station along the L&N main line where either a switch crew works out of or the daily local freight arrives in town, switches the industries and then leaves. I've worked these type jobs many times myself.

Although the overall operation would be pretty much the same, it would add a little more variety. I also think you're right about adding a track or two in the staging area, if for no other reason than a place to store cars.
Ed
I agree with the plan with the runaround. I also like the idea Gary has of the two track staging, maybe you can have the highway overpass in there too for a scenic break.
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
i'd suggest a look here <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://oscalewcor.blogspot.com/2010/07/wheels-are-turning.html">http://oscalewcor.blogspot.com/2010/07/ ... rning.html</a><!-- m --> You can always add staging to the left , and it is O scale, but will be about half the size in HO
shortliner Wrote:i'd suggest a look here <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://oscalewcor.blogspot.com/2010/07/wheels-are-turning.html">http://oscalewcor.blogspot.com/2010/07/ ... rning.html</a><!-- m --> You can always add staging to the left , and it is O scale, but will be about half the size in HO
Jack's O scale switching layout is one of several that has inspired me in my quest to build an interesting layout that I can get to a reasonably complete stage before the Yardmaster in the sky says my shift is over.
Ed
My inconsequential vote goes to a plan with a run-around! I say inconsequential as with all of these recent track planning discussions centered on linear model railroading and a decidedly diesel-powered, facing-direction-immaterial orientation, as an old steam guy with a penchant towards operating smoke box front, and traveling from "A" to "B," switching along the way and again at the terminus, my life-long philosophy is so different as to be not germane to the discussion.

That said ... I still vote for a run-around ... if for no other reason than they add interesting track "scenery" opportunities. Big Grin Icon_lol
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
I was wondering...just wondering... if there is a small possibility you could add a very slight curve to the main track, I mean from one end to the other? Not too crazy, just a little. IMHO it could make the track work a bit more interesting visually speaking. Everything is straight and at right angles and I know that curves help make your trains appear "longer" but I would do it more so for the visual aspect give it more "flow".

I vote for the run around track too. Thumbsup
It's always a dicey gamble to make comments on a layout plan...but here I go...

I'd vote for the run-around to allow for more flexibility overall. But (and here's the crazy idea part) I'd interconnect the staging tracks so and engine could "lead" into the staging tracks, uncouple, and use the needed turnouts to reposition to the head of another string of cars. That's probably not what you have in mind with those two staging tracks, so I certainly understand shooting this idea right down. Big Grin
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
tetters Wrote:... if there is a small possibility you could add a very slight curve to the main track, I mean from one end to the other? Not too crazy, just a little. ...
That is a very good comment. It is not necessary to change anything on the drawn track plan just give it a little shot when you place the real tracks. 1/2" - 1" might be enough to soften the overall impression.
Reinhard
Both plans look good Ed

My vote is for no runround. More challenging setting cars up and you could always use a second loco if you need to. Realise am a lone voice and I have not abandoned Buffalo Springs. Like I said its a long term project

Ken
faraway Wrote:
tetters Wrote:... if there is a small possibility you could add a very slight curve to the main track,
That is a very good comment. It is not necessary to change anything on the drawn track plan just give it a little shot when you place the real tracks. 1/2" - 1" might be enough to soften the overall impression.
Yes, I do need to introduce a slight curve - perhaps a v e r y broad "S" curve into the main line route. Did not show it on the plans (I'm not too good with the demo CAD program I've been using), but did intend to angle the main and then gently curve it into the staging area. Just enough to break up the straight line look.

Also have considered having the staging track a small double ended yard like arrangement, but not sure if I could have long enough sidings on it. With an available length of just 6 feet; if I placed two sidings with No. 6 turnouts at each end, I'd probably end up with very short sidings. In all likelihood, staging will have to be single ended.

Thanks for the input fellows! Now to get laying that track!
Ed
I drew your layout in Xtrkcad, I tried to add an s-curve towards the end of the layout, I did not know what your minimum radius is so I just used #6 turnouts and a minimum curve radius of 40".

you can download Xtrkcad Here if you don't have it already:http://www.xtrkcad.org/Wikka/HomePage

Attached Files
.xtc   L&amp;N Switching Layout.xtc (Size: 9.25 KB / Downloads: 164)
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
Okay gang;

Here's my final(?) version of my L&N Industrial Spur plan - which will include the runaround track. I've introduced two very broad curves into the plan and angled the "main track" which looks like it will break up the linear look quite well. Also added two "storage" tracks on the staging portion, although it may end up just being one additional track. When I try to put a runaround in the staging as suggested by Herc Driver, I end up with a rather short siding so I'll just go for having yard jobs staged on these tracks or use two of them for car storage. Also included the highway overpass to separate the main part of the layout from the staging area.     Now I just need to get started layout the roadbed and track!
Ed