L&N Industrial Rail Spur
Brakie Wrote:The new Slate Creek will have no run around and a minimum of 3 industries and a transload track.
Larry;

That sounds about like what I'm looking at doing. Two or three main industries and a transload/team track with push/pull operation. I'm a firm believer in the "less is more" concept, so it all boils down to picking out the right industries and trying to make the track plan look a little interesting without over doing it. Probably just something like Lance M's Palmetto Spur, but with one additional spur and not so straight looking. Lot of potential operation in a simple plan like that.

Got to have plenty of box car spots and a believable destination for the tank cars and a few covered hoppers. I'm looking at a long open dock type warehouse for the box car traffic and the transload/team track for tank cars and covered hoppers. Some other equipment I have, such as my fleet of Airslide hoppers and corn syrup tanks, may or may not get used depending on what other industries I want to try and include.

Main issue for me right now, is just getting motivated again to work on it!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Got to have plenty of box car spots and a believable destination for the tank cars and a few covered hoppers.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will share three of my industries.

1.Standard Plastics :

In: Boxcars of scrap plastic and empty Covered hoppers.

Out: empty boxcars and plastic pellets.
========================

2. Continental Cookies:

In :flour,sugar, corn sweetener .

Out empty covered hoppers and tank cars.
========================

3.Patton's Distribution & Wholesale.

In:Alcoholic beverages,tobacco products,paper and food products.

Out : Empty boxcars .
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Hello.
I've been following this very interesting thread for some time now, is there any update?
postman Wrote:Hello.
I've been following this very interesting thread for some time now, is there any update?
Thanks for your interest in this very long thread! No updates to report as it looks like I'm going to have to find a new spot for my layout! Very disheartening (more like depressing) for me since I'd finally settled on a final plan and industries.

Right now, I'm just trying to figure out my options and where I can put up the layout, which looks like it will have to be about 4 feet shorter in length; with perhaps a removable staging track. With my health issues, it's going to be a job to have to tear down what I've already done and start all over again. Of course with better weather coming, I'll be wanting to get out and go rail fanning, so probably will be some time before I get anything going again.
Ed
Since it looks like I'm going to have to find a new spot for the layout; thought I'd show the plan as it exists right now and before it gets torn down and relocated. Layout size is 18in X 20ft.     Plan is pretty much the same as the last one I posted Dec 22, 2014, and does include a runaround track; primarily so that the locomotive can lead the train to and from the staging area. The plan represents what was once a former main line, that was abandoned in the 50s, but about 1 mile was left in place to serve some customers that had located on the line. Quite similar to three former L&N spurs in my area in Shelbyville, Winchester and, Richmond, KY.

My modeled era is between the late 70s to mid 80s which allows me to have plenty of the colorful shortline IPD box cars and motive power is of course L&N and rotates between a GE U28B, EMD GP38-2, or ALCo C420. All typical for my era. All locomotives are DCC/Sound equipped and the layout is operated with a NCE PowerCab which is just great and highly recommended.

I only have three industry tracks on the plan which I've found works out very well and gives me a nice hour long or so operating session. Each of the industry spurs have multiple car spots and receive a variety of cars. Industries that I chose for the plan are:

Sherwood Foods - A food products distributor that receives tank cars of cooking oils, box cars of various packaged foods and refrigerator cars of frozen meats. 5 possible car spots.

Kentucky Transload - This former team or storage track now receives tank cars of corn syrup, covered hoppers of animal feed and occasional box cars of beer that are all transferred to trucks for off-line customers. 5 possible car spots. If you can make it out on the plan, there is a pump house and piping where the tank cars spot and also a small office building and truck scale for this operation.

Dixie Warehouse: A warehousing and distribution operation that receives box cars of various products. 4 possible car spots. (This may be changed to another facility that would also receive box cars).

My big challenge now is to see if I can find a new spot for the layout without having to reduce its overall size too much. I have a wall that could handle a 16ft long shelf layout, and possibly have a 4 or 5 foot removable staging track, so if I can work that out, I'll be able to preserve the current plan and industries. I'm sure not in the mood or condition to have to tear all this down and start all over again, so I want to be able to keep as much of this intact as I can. We shall see what happens.
Ed
FCIN Wrote:Since it looks like I'm going to have to find a new spot for the layout; thought I'd show the plan as it exists right now and before it gets torn down and relocated. Layout size is 18in X 20ft.[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]Plan is pretty much the same as the last one I posted Dec 22, 2014, and does include a runaround track; primarily so that the locomotive can lead the train to and from the staging area. The plan represents what was once a former main line, that was abandoned in the 50s, but about 1 mile was left in place to serve some customers that had located on the line. Quite similar to three former L&N spurs in my area in Shelbyville, Winchester and, Richmond, KY.

My modeled era is between the late 70s to mid 80s which allows me to have plenty of the colorful shortline IPD box cars and motive power is of course L&N and rotates between a GE U28B, EMD GP38-2, or ALCo C420. All typical for my era. All locomotives are DCC/Sound equipped and the layout is operated with a NCE PowerCab which is just great and highly recommended.

I only have three industry tracks on the plan which I've found works out very well and gives me a nice hour long or so operating session. Each of the industry spurs have multiple car spots and receive a variety of cars. Industries that I chose for the plan are:

Sherwood Foods - A food products distributor that receives tank cars of cooking oils, box cars of various packaged foods and refrigerator cars of frozen meats. 5 possible car spots.

Kentucky Transload - This former team or storage track now receives tank cars of corn syrup, covered hoppers of animal feed and occasional box cars of beer that are all transferred to trucks for off-line customers. 5 possible car spots. If you can make it out on the plan, there is a pump house and piping where the tank cars spot and also a small office building and truck scale for this operation.

Dixie Warehouse: A warehousing and distribution operation that receives box cars of various products. 4 possible car spots. (This may be changed to another facility that would also receive box cars).

My big challenge now is to see if I can find a new spot for the layout without having to reduce its overall size too much. I have a wall that could handle a 16ft long shelf layout, and possibly have a 4 or 5 foot removable staging track, so if I can work that out, I'll be able to preserve the current plan and industries. I'm sure not in the mood or condition to have to tear all this down and start all over again, so I want to be able to keep as much of this intact as I can. We shall see what happens.

Looks good. I´m also going to have max 3 industries in my layout, a food products distributor, a logistics warehouse and maybe a bakery or a brewery , have lots of grain hoppers.
Do you have any picture of the layout?
I like this track plan as contrary the real World rail net work, a run around track is nice as we don't have the space enough to access a major yard. And it makes more interest on a layout and additional moves. Looking good! I am in planning process on a lay out along 3 walls on 10 ft. x 16 ft. One side is narrow maybe one foot long section and the others I am able to have 2 ft. wide, Though the narrow section will be more or less scenic ended staging disguised as those small yards you find to set out cars for delivery to the main yard, I will be need a run around track on the other part as well as the theme will be more or less an urban setting and the township has prohibited any backing moves otherwise than in switching in to the sidings. More details later when I set out the track plan for it. Right now I am having a hard look on Reinhards layout as he has very efficient but simple plan. Cheers
postman Wrote:Do you have any picture of the layout?
I suppose I could take a few photos of what is there right now - but it's just the track on earth colored benchwork and structure mockups. I make mockups of the proposed structures out of 3/16 inch thick foam board to test how the structures would look and fit the plan. Also gives me actual places to spot the cars. If you go to page 3 of this thread, you can see examples of some of the structures, including the food products distributor and distribution warehouse that I kept moving from one test plan to another.
Ed
FCIN Wrote:I suppose I could take a few photos of what is there right now
Pictures or it didn't happen

I like the plan you have, I have a wall in my apartment that's roughly 24 feet long and would really like to take up that wall with a switching layout but I think my girlfriend would kill me. I think it would have to collapsable somehow in order to get away with. Good luck with the planning, waiting to see what you come up with. Thumbsup
Rscott417 Wrote:
FCIN Wrote:I suppose I could take a few photos of what is there right now
Pictures or it didn't happen

I like the plan you have, I have a wall in my apartment that's roughly 24 feet long and would really like to take up that wall with a switching layout but I think my girlfriend would kill me. I think it would have to collapsable somehow in order to get away with. Good luck with the planning, waiting to see what you come up with. Thumbsup

I'm just surprised you have a wall thats 24 feet long in an apartment. :o
I think I may have a way to stay alive and have a layout. Build the layout and put removable screens [hiding the layout], with photos of you both on them, with bookcases below and display shelves above the layout.
Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More