Newbie...Hi Ya'll
Newbie from Michigan(Metro Detroit area)Hi Ya'll,just wanted to say Hi,and tell you a little bit about myself.I have been a model railroader and railfan for about 15 years.I have had at least 2 HO model layouts(nothing to write home about).I model HO and modern era trains.My railroad is CSX,NS,former Conrail.Although i do love all trains,Steam,Diesel,Alco,EMD,GE.

My favorite railfan spot is Detroit,Michigan(Dearborn st and I-75)where CP Rail,CN,CSX,NS interchange trackage.Close by is the CSX Dearboarn yard and the former Conrail Yard.

I am in the process of collecting Ho rolling stock for a future "Switching Layout",which will be based primarily on the Autobile industry and other industry's.No track plan as of yet,but it will include 6 auto supplier companys,a liquid propane supplier,a commercial bakery,cement plant,auto loading facility,die stamping plant.My era is late 1990's(before the take-over of Conrail )and i will be modeling industrial type switching.All my structures will be scratch-built(oh what fun),cause basically their are no modern era structures avaliable for industrial type buildings.All my track will be hand laid with real wooden ties,etc.I am a stickler for "detail".

All my rolling stock will consist of RP25 scale wheel sets and Athearn Genesis 70 & 100 ton trucks.(I really like the roller bearing caps that move) Big Grin

My other hobbies include collecting 1:18th scale diecast muscle cars(Chevy,Dodge,Plymouth)by Highway 61,Ertl,Autoworld,GMP,also collect 1:24th Diecast NHRA Funnycars.I love Drag racing! Worship
Don Shriner
Hi train_guy and welcome.
I've lost my Detroit area contacts -- they moved up north. My Michigan railfanning now is 2 nights (sometimes) a year that we spend in a campground in Monroe.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Welcome Welcome Welcome

I think you'll enjoy it here ... and there are quite a few linear switching layouts under construction for you to look at ... and get ideas, but you need to know one thing ... we like ...
PICTURES!!!!!

My bro-in-law works for Fords ... they live in Farmington Hills ... before I retired from the corporate design world, I used to travel to the former Burroughs (now Unisys) plant in Plymouth and stay at a hotel in Novi ... crossed lots of tracks between those two places!

So ...
Welcome
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
I like pictures too,although i don't have any yet,but when i start weathering my rolling stock,I'll be sure to post them.I forgot to add that i am a big fan of Lance Manheim's Florida switching layout,and John Grantt's "Sweet home Chicago" layout.That's basically what i'm shooting for as far as design,concept,etc.
Don Shriner
Hey! Glad you could join us! Welcome
Ralph
If you like the work of Jon Grant he updates his thread from time to time. Steve also has a nice thread called Nice Things Come in Narrow Packages that you might find interesting. Take a look around ... there's lots of cool stuff to see.

But you don't have to wait until things are "finished" to exercise your index finger on the camera shutter button ... we like "in progress" stuff, too! In fact, we more than like the "in progress" stuff ... we love it!
biL

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Welcome to the Group Welcome Welcome Welcome

We all enjoy seeing how people tackle all aspects of model railroading so pictures of anything is good in our eyes!!!
There are a bunch of great model railroads and model railroaders on this site so click lots and click often. We have some guys that work really really fast and it can be hard to even keep up with their progress!!

Welcome again...Train_guy
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
Welcome to the family. Cheers

You'll find this is the best spot to ask, learn, offer, suggest, and quite often - laugh. Thumbsup
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Great to have you here. Look forward to your input, and some photos of your rollingstock as you start weathering them.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Welcome TG! Misngth
I woke up in the middle of the night this morning early, burning up with a cold sweat, thinking that by “singling out” certain threads for you to look at, I had shown some sort of awkward favoritism to some, whilst shunning the stellar work of others, and nothing could be further … or farther … from what was intended.

In an overzealous effort to get you quickly involved in what is arguably the cream of the crop of model railroad forums on the Web, I quickly noted the last two layout threads I had just been to and lazily let it go at that. I was being chastised in my sleep by the rest of my colleagues on this forum for “leaving them unmentioned!” Now I know that they wouldn’t consciously do that, ut I still feel bad so I’ll mention a couple more threads of interest … one’s to get the “newbie juices” flowing, and then I’ll shut up for a while … it’ll e difficult, but I think if I just turn the computer off and go sit at me breakfast table and get back to building pairs of loading dock doors for my still-unfinished “Challenge Structure,” I’ll live on until dinner time.

An Important introspective to give some serious consideration to prior to beginning a new layout cane be found in the Givens and Druthers thread.

Two more examples of the ISL (Industrial Shelf/Shifting Layout) are this one by cnw1961 a.k.a.Kurt and for a real “ground up” layout build, you really need to take a look at Gays S.’s WOOHOO! Good Weather = Time to build thread … a real adventure in multiple scales!

There … now I’ve mentioned a couple more of our very talented members … there’s enough for you to be sitting at the computer, staring at fine model work for hours. And yes, I’ve still left unmentioned several hundred others whose work is just as eye-popping! But a list of all of those guys (and girls) can be found up near the top of the page where it says “Members.”

Now, join in … don’t be a stranger … and “in progress” photos work just fine for us, in fact, we like to watch over your shoulder as you build it!

Welcome
biL

Thanks for the thread links,definately impressed!here's one for ya i think you'll like <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://newponcayard.webs.com/">http://newponcayard.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> This guy is from Belgium,and the switching layout is quite impressive to say the least,definately up to par with Sweet Home Chicago.I do believe i have seen videos on Youtube of this layout in action.You might be surprised to see how many American based layouts i have seen produced by non-americans,I think it's because we in america have prettier trains(LOL)As a matter a fact i think i'll post this link under "Layout"section,oh and their are videos on the webpage.

Don Shriner
Don Shriner
Don, welcome to the forum. Nice to see another Michigan guy here Thumbsup

BR60103 Wrote:Hi train_guy and welcome.
I've lost my Detroit area contacts -- they moved up north. My Michigan railfanning now is 2 nights (sometimes) a year that we spend in a campground in Monroe.

Check out <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroadfan.com">http://www.railroadfan.com</a><!-- m --> Michigan based railfan group (actually we're great lakes area based) We get together twice a year for a spring and fall railfan meet. Lots of knowledgeable people there.
Mike
Welcome aboard
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Hello Don, Welcome aboard. I can't figure why I haven't seen this thread and responded. I'm sorry for being so late saying hello.
I'm not that far from you, just on the East side of Ohio, south of Youngstown. I have a good friend in Grand Rapids.
Charlie