Southern Pacific Switching Layout
You don't say what DCC system you're using....If it's the D'trax Zephyr, you might have the loco selected on one or both of the "Jump" throttles. If so, "Exit" it out of them. It "confuses" the engine to be expecting input from several throttles at once....
Gus (LC&P).
In his clinic on making trains run reliably at the NMRA convention in Sacramento, Joe Fugate mentioned that he did an experiment on his layout. He cleaned the track with alcohol, and left it dry, then he ran a locomotive with the lights turned off in his basement, and noticed a regular "light show" from all of the arcing and sparking between the wheels and rails. Every time there is a spark, it will leave a small pit and black carbon deposit on both the wheels and the rail. He then cleaned the rails again with the alcohol, and put on a little mineral spirits (works like the Wahl clipper oil mentioned in another thread). When he repeated the lights off experiment, there was no more arcing. the way to put the oil on without getting too much is to put just a little bit on one spot, and then run your locomotive over it and then over the entire railroad. Let the locomotive wheels spread the oil over the rails. If the oil is put on heavy enough to attract dust or dirt, you have too much. You won't see the sparking, in normal light unless it is really bad! The test is to treat your track, then run the loco after dark with the lights off.

The other method I've seen mentioned on forums is to treat your track with No-ox.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nscale.net/forums/content.php?32-Track-cleaning-Linn-Westcott-and-No-Ox">http://www.nscale.net/forums/content.ph ... -and-No-Ox</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://stormgrounding.electrical-insulators-and-copper-ground-bars.com/no-ox-id.html">http://stormgrounding.electrical-insula ... ox-id.html</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/171-226">http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/171-226</a><!-- m -->
Two things- i probably missed it, but i'm seeing all sorts of concern over the wheels of other things, but not the NW2's wheels. Make sure there isn't invisible grease on it.

Second, make sure your track power is connected good. a loose connector or wire can mess things up. make sure there are no crimps in the wire, no exposed parts where there should not be, and that everything is tight.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
The NW-2 is running perfect now, I ran it back and forth on the test track for awhile and it didn't stall at all.

Here is the FINAL track-plan:
[Image: FINALtrack-plan.jpg?t=1317161132]
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
Justinmiller171 Wrote:Here is the FINAL track-plan:
[Image: FINALtrack-plan.jpg?t=1317161132]
Track plan looks good Justin! Plenty of room to work the container plant and the track arrangement is quite prototypical even if it's been reversed a little.

Just to refresh my memory, what are the overall dimensions of the layout? I'm assuming that it's two 24x80 inch HCD's butted together, but not 100% sure.

I'm also wondering where that "black stuff" you mentioned on the track is coming from. Surely those lens cleaners aren't spreading some sort of "stuff" on the rail when you clean them. Really got me puzzled.

Good idea that Russ has there about putting a little drop or two of mineral spirits on the track after cleaning it. I've never tried the "lights out" experiment myself to see if there is a spark show between the loco and the track, but might just try it out this morning. I found a bottle of a product called "Rail Zip" that is actually transmission fluid that I might try out on the layout myself, as this is another recommended thing to put on the track to improve contact and eliminate that sparking issue. Haven't tried to use it, as I have this vision of a fine layer of oil or whatever on the rails actually attracting the dust to the track - but might just try it out on a test track section.

*** EDIT ***
In regard to the "lights out" experiment mentioned above.... I ran all six of my DCC equipped locomotives on the layout this morning in the dark and observed no sparking what so ever at any speed. Locomotives include a Kato SD40-2, Athearn GP15-1, Atlas MP15dc, Atlas ALCo C-420, BLI NW-2 and an Athearn CF-7. So I'm not sure where people are seeing this sparking issue. Didn't try running anything on the DC test track, but it certainly isn't an issue for me on the DCC powered layout. Guess I'll just stick with cleaning the track now and then with alcohol and not worry about putting any type of oil on the rails. Was fun to try this out.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Great to hear about the lack of sparking, Ed. I think it is a good test from time to time, especially if you have any deterioration of performance. As a "gear head" the test is similar to running a car engine in the dark if you have a miss to see if the plug wires are sparking externally instead of at the spark plugs.
Track is expected tomorrow! 2285_

I made up a work order template yesterday:

Attached Files
.pdf   LIRY Work Order.pdf (Size: 8.94 KB / Downloads: 407)
Justin Miller
FCIN Wrote:Just to refresh my memory, what are the overall dimensions of the layout? I'm assuming that it's two 24x80 inch HCD's butted together, but not 100% sure.

Yep, it's build with 3 HCDs that I picked up at the local Restore. Total size is 160"x104", My room is 160"x120".
Justin Miller
Justinmiller171 Wrote:Yep, it's build with 3 HCDs that I picked up at the local Restore. Total size is 160"x104", My room is 160"x120".
Thanks Justin. Not sure why I thought it was just two of the HCD's butted together. Anyway gives me a better idea of the size of the layout.

Your work order is pretty nice too. Different roads use different forms for the same thing, but regardless, it gives a prototype feel for doing the work and only takes a few minutes to make up. Often large industries will furnish their own switch list or switching instructions for what they way placed where too.

We'd always block out our cars for the distilleries based on the way they "could" spot at the distillery; but the distillery had their own list that they would give us on arrival and then you might or might not spot every thing you brought with you. Some would be held for the next day, others pulled or re-spotted.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
MY PACKAGE ARRIVED!!! 2285_ 2285_ 2285_

I got 3 peco code 100 large radius insulfrog turnouts, 1 left 2 rights, and a ribbon rail 30" radius tool since it was on sale Wink

I set up one of the peco turnouts to my test track and they are great! My NW-2 made it through both ways without a problem.

Thanks for the suggestion guys!
Justin Miller