The Hjemstad Line
Time to revive this thread again.

After a long time and many attempts to come up with an acceptable track plan without too many compromises, I have now decided to start from scratch (yet again), and this time with a purely modular approach. I've decided to go with the European FREMO standard, and have spent quite some time coming up with a plan for standardized modules of equal size, albeit with some substandard modules to be used at home only (sharper curves to make it fit in my room etc).

I admit that the modular setup is somewhat restricting to the layout and track plan, especially in a space as small as mine, but I think the positives outweigh the negatives here. I still have room for two towns/stations with industrial sidings, all the modules are interchangable and can be rearranged in a different setup if/when we move to another house, and whenever I feel the need for a change, I can build a new module to replace an old one without having to throw away the old module. In addition, most of the modules can be used at FREMO meetings if I want to participate in those.

This weekend I bought materials and tools to get started on my first modules. First I cut a 12mm plywood sheet into smaller and manageable pieces, just large enough to make two end pieces from each (I bought two finished end pieces to use as templates):

[Image: 3030_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 3031_w1200.jpg]

I also cut the subroadbed and internal bracing from 12mm ply, and the long sides were cut from 9mm ply. I still have some more cutting to do before I can start assembling all the pieces, but hopefully the first couple of module frames will be finished during the Easter holidays.

Svein
Spent a couple of days in my train room this Christmas vacation, to get it ready for the fun stuff. The ceiling was paneled earlier this fall, but the walls and floor was in a rather poor condition. After scrubbing and painting the walls and laying new flooring, it was finally time to start building the benchwork!

As I'm building the layout in modules, I'll have a separate frame with storage shelves under the layout, much like the benchwork I did in Vigdis' room. How ever, deciding on a suitable layout height isn't as simple as it sounds. For a single level layout, I've found that a railtop height of 140cm (55") is great for a standing operating position, whereas 105cm (41") is perfect for sitting down. Plus, the FREMO standard calls for a railtop height of 130cm (51"), so if I want to be able to attach freestanding modules towards the center of the room without building an extra set of legs, I need to take this into consideration as well...

Anyway, I've toyed around with the idea of having a second deck as a possible future extension, and yesterday I did a mockup to experiment with different heights:

[Image: 3593_w1200.jpg]

The pic shows the lower modular deck at 100cm (39") and the upper deck at 150cm (59"), I chose these heights as a starting point. To represent the upper deck, I retrieved one of my old layout sections from the attic. With its 10cm (4") height, it resembles an upper deck construction perfectly.

As clearly shown in the pic, there is plenty of room between the decks, I have no problems getting my head and shoulders (not the shampoo...) in there to do some work. It may seem that the upper deck is a bit high compared to the low ceiling height of only 190cm (75"), so the question is whether I should lower the upper deck by 5cm (2") or raise the lower one accordingly. Lowering the upper deck will give some more space up there, but it will block some of the view of the lower deck (only the rear part, behind the track) when standing. Raising the lower deck will give a perfect height for seated operating, and the blocked view isn't as noticable since both decks are a little closer to eye level.

I've never worked on a double deck layout before. Those of you who have, what are your experience and what do you recommend?

Also, I'm wondering whether I should build the framework to match the lower deck right from the start, or if I should go with a higher single deck layout now, and just lower the framework when/if I get to add a second deck at a later stage.

What do you guys think?

PS: I've also posted this in my other thread http://www.bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewt...3&start=15.
It appears the ceiling is very low, maybe 6 foot? I think I would stick with a single deck but multilevel layout.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
The ceiling is 190cm (6' 3"), see my previous post. Anyway, single deck with multiple levels is not an option with the FREMO standard, all track must be level. That's why I've been playing around with the idea of a helix or a train elevator and an upper deck not bound to any standards, while the lower deck consists mainly of FREMO modules.

I guess as a compromise I could build it part FREMO and part multilevel, but then I'd have to start over from scratch with the track planning again. I've spent far too long planning and analyzing already, to the point where Vigdis had almost given up on me, and told me I'd never get to build anything at all..! 357
How about two levels with out any connections to get two independent layout. You can have a modern diesel and an old stream layout at the same time! All parts can be (fremo) modules (without mounted legs) to be rearranged as required.
Standard fremo modules can be attached on the fly if you choose to have the lower layout at fremo standard height.
Reinhard
The FREMO standard height at 130cm is too high to allow for an upper deck in my room. The connection between the decks is no problem, there are several options to choose from, but I'm just uncertain as to whether or not I should strive for a multi deck layout at all. After all, the flexibility of the modular system was what attracted me in the first place, as I could never decide on what I really wanted. And here I go again... Wallbang
Why are you hung up on it being a FREMO when that is causing you to build a layout you don't seem to be happy with? Forget FREMO and build a layout to fit the space you have and will have the scenery and ops that will appeal to you.
Mike

That's a very good question, Mike. I suppose it's because I can't decide on what I really want in my layout, and building it modular allows me to easily swap out parts of it whenever I want to. Plus, I have a dream of one day attending the bigger FREMO meetings, and I don't want my modules to be just stowed away and gathering dust inbetween meetings. I have a pretty good idea about how the scenery and ops should be, and I also have a finished modular layout plan. My problem is that I'm constantly over-analyzing and replanning, striving for another and better plan than the one I already have. This has always been my curse, paralysis by analysis, and I'm very aware of that. Wallbang

Anyway, after a good nights sleep my head is a little clearer, and I've decided to skip the double deck idea and go with my initial plan. My main goal now is to get the framework finished up to the point where I can lay some track and run my trains, if only temporary. Vigdis finished tracklaying her main line yesterday, and has already made several laps with one of her engines while troubleshooting and fixing some small issues. In fact she's down there right now, and watching her progress really gives me the urge to get going on my own layout! Smile
Svein those are issues you need to work out for sure, best of luck! When it comes to who will have a finished, operating layout first my money is on Vigdis. Thumbsup
Mike

That makes two of us! Icon_lol

Anyway, I think I got it all figured out now, started on the benchwork yesterday but there's still much work to be done.
I think the layout should be lower than your arm when your arm is straight out. (20 years of a layout a couple of inches higher than that.)
I'm not greatly in favour of multi-deck layouts either, although I operate on one where there are 3 stacked loops under the main station.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
I see your point David, and I have also discarded the double deck idea. I'm building the framework at 110cm, and the modules are 20cm, making for a railtop height of 130cm. I'm also going to modify my old sections and raise their height to match the new modules, making them easier to connect.

Regarding the track plan, it's going to be a variation of the Deane style fiddle yard, with a through station (modular) opposite the staging area and a terminus (my old sections) in front of it. The terminus will be on casters for easy access to staging if needed, but I can still reach across it on a daily basis.

Here are a couple of links explaining the Deane fiddle yard concept, for those of you not familiar with it:
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.p...iddleyard/
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.p...e-railway/

Svein
Finished the framework along the first wall today:

[Image: 3601_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 3603_w1200.jpg]

One can never have too much storage, so I built some shelves under the layout, these will be covered with cloth later. Under the old window, which is now an inspection hatch to the crawl space, I left the area open for easier access. The front batten of the layout frame can easily be removed if needed.

Svein
Oops, has it been a year already..!? :oops:

I still haven't decided on the final modular trackplan, but to avoid another case of paralysis by analysis (and finally get to lay some track and run trains), I spent the Christmas holiday building sections all around the room. The sections are the same height as FREMO modules and have the same hole configuration for connection, and can be replaced with regular modules as I get around to building them. The sections can also easily be converted into modules later.

Right half of the room:
[Image: 3999_w1200.jpg]

Left half of the room, with the duckunder entrance. I'm thinking of cutting out an arch in the sections crossing the doorway, to make the duckunder a little easier on the back.
[Image: 4002_w1200.jpg]

All the sections have the FREMO modular interface for easy connection with regular FREMO modules:
[Image: 4004_w1200.jpg]

The narrower sections have connection holes matching the FREMO interface, with either the front or back side flush with the FREMO modules. The small section shown removed and sitting on top in the pic can simply be turned around, while the corner section below has a double set of holes to connect both ways.
[Image: 4005_w1200.jpg]
Spent the last two weekends on and off transferring the track plan from the computer onto the sections, and today I finished laying roadbed on the first section. I have some leftover cork roadbed with beveled egdes and I'm using this first, then I'm going to cut strips from cork sheets like the one sitting on top of the section. Much cheaper than the pre made cork roadbed, and the ballast can form a natural slope on the sides:

[Image: 4013_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 4016_w1200.jpg]

The hard plywood made it a challenge to hold the cork in place while the caulk sets. First I tried regular pins, but I couldn't push them far enough into the plywood. The solution was to use a staple gun with 6mm (1/4") staples; these are just long enough to hold everything in place, and easy to remove later using a small screwdriver. Guess I'll find out tomorrow if this was really a good solution, or if the cork comes loose along with the staples...

The lower pic also shows maybe the biggest advantage in building a layout in modules/sections; the possibility to lift out a single module/section and shift it around for easy access from all sides.