The Hjemstad Line
Svein Wrote:Did my first test run this evening, finally! My biggest brass engine shorts on one particular spot in the sharpest curve, other than that it went beautifully across all section joints and through every turnout, including the double slip and the single slip switches. I've been working on this layout for allmost a year now, what a wonderful feeling to finally be able to crank up the throttle!! Big Grin

Congratulations!

Grin,
Stein
Gary S Wrote:I'm pretty sure that when the car is set on the layout, it is going to look great just as it is. Very nice. Thumbsup

Thanks Gary.

Gary S Wrote:Those closeiup photos that enlarge the model six or seven times are quite unforgiving! But on the layout from normal viewing distances, the brush strokes won't even show.

That's true. We actually thought it was pretty good at first, until we looked at the pics on the computer screen. The lighting and gloss varnish also makes every little flaw just pop out, the car doesn't look anywhere near that bad when looked at from normal viewing distance.

Svein
Thanks, Stein! Maybe we can get together again some time soon, do some brainstorming and plan a small op session at my place for a change... Wink
Gary S Wrote:Those closeup photos that enlarge the model six or seven times are quite unforgiving! But on the layout from normal viewing distances, the brush strokes won't even show.

One of the founding members of the Lake County Model Railroad Club, used color slides, projected on his kitchen wall, to find and identify all the "things" that looked non-prototypical. He'd identify as many as he could, correct them, shoot the picture again.......and see things he had missed the first go around. He usually stopped after the fourth picture. It was then, extremely difficult to say whether a picture was a model, or the real scene.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Svein Wrote:Thanks, Stein! Maybe we can get together again some time soon, do some brainstorming and plan a small op session at my place for a change... Wink

Sounds very good! Just tell me when you are ready, and I'll be there :-)

Btw - looking at your neat soldering and properly color codes wires made me stop by Elfag today and pick up some more 18 AWG wires in more colors, and some more scotchlok connectors - it is about time I start cleaning up that rat's nest under my town area - next weekend hopefully :-)

Grin,
Stein
Some pics of the progress so far:

Left section, the stub ended track in front is just a temporary piece of flex track:
[Image: 1413_w1200.jpg]

Middle section with my engines (except one, no decoder in that one yet) parked after their test run:
[Image: 1414_w1200.jpg]

Right section, the stub ended tracks are just temporary:
[Image: 1415_w1200.jpg]

The turntable with approach track, the transition from roadbed down onto the top is made from layers of 1mm ply glued together. The turntable is still missing a lot of detail parts that must be applied separately:
[Image: 1418_w1200.jpg]

The curve leading to staging, the protruding part of the track will be cut after fastened to the next section to avoid any kinks in the section joint. I've cut small pieces of 1mm ply and placed under the outer rail for a slight superelevation. This is the problem curve on which my biggest engine shorts, I have to do some more work here to fix that issue:
[Image: 1419_w1200.jpg]

Looking towards the right half of the layout:
[Image: 1430_w1200.jpg]

And the left half:
[Image: 1432_w1200.jpg]

The second Jordan car is allmost ready for assembly. The fenders and side steps are not painted yet, but the body and interior is finished. She mentioned having used five coats of varnish on the body, and countless coats of green and black after sanding the pieces several times:
[Image: 1423_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 1426_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 1429_w1200.jpg]

Svein
Svein,

It is really looking great to see that layout beginning to come all together as a functional unit. You must be pleased to be running some trains and dreaming about what comes next.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Looks like Dr. Misinfingers was at work here. Eek [Image: surgery.jpg]
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
e-paw Wrote:Looks like Dr. Misinfingers was at work here. Eek

GAH!!! Confusedhock: faints...
ocalicreek Wrote:It is really looking great to see that layout beginning to come all together as a functional unit. You must be pleased to be running some trains and dreaming about what comes next.

Thanks, Galen. I have to clean the tracks and wheels first, the ride is kind of jerky as it is now. But it feels great to be able to to some running and light switching inbetween all the other tasks!

Svein
e-paw Wrote:Looks like Dr. Misinfingers was at work here. Eek

LOL, quick and dirty surgery at the kitchen table, just like the vikings used to do it! Wink

Svein
A couple of shots of the finished car, in more appropriate surroundings:

[Image: 1439_W1200.jpg]

[Image: 1444_W1200.jpg]

Svein
That little motorcar is outstanding! She is a great model builder!
Reinhard
Ol' Henry would have declared that '28 "A" Tudor a "thing of beauty!" Thumbsup

That woman seated at the kitchen table with a paintbrush in hand is a keeper! If she can cook too, that's a bonus! Wink
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Svein Wrote:[Image: 1444_W1200.jpg]

Hi Svein --

Do tell V that her car looks excellent!

Smile,
Stein