Unstoppable -- new train movie
We get a show here called "Myth Busters" where two guys test out to try and prove or disprove (scientifically) various conceptions people might have or stunts you see in movies.

I seem to recall, a few months ago, seeing one where they tried to disprove some of the bus stunt scenes that were depicted in the 1990s movie, Speed. They basically disproved many of the scenes in the movie, proving that a bus could never be driven and maneuvered as it was in the movie.

Maybe they will do the same thing with Unstoppable in a few years!

Rob
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
tetters Wrote:Catching a train which is a missle the size of the Chrysler Building and gunning it in the opposite direction...

Believe it or not, in the real runaway scenario that this movie is based on, this is how they slowed the train. Well actually, they didn't "gun it in the opposite direction".

CSXT 8888 was involved in switching in a yard, and the engineer noticed a switch ahead of him lined against him. He threw the independent brake to full, threw the dynamic brake to full, then proceeded to jump off his moving engine and run ahead to line the switch. Unfortunately he did NOT put it in full dynamic, but rather full THROTTLE. Needless to say the train rolled off into the sunset. An hour later a crew in a locomotive chased it down, coupled up, and put their loco in full braking, slowing down the train enough that a road foreman of engines was able to swing about the 8888 and shut her down.

In the preceding time, the railroad had tried to derail it twice by placing portable derails on the track, both were knocked off the rails when the runaway hit them. Also, at least one police officer tried to shoot at the red emergency fuel cut off switch.
-Dave
I've seen the preview clip on TV. I'm willing to suspend disbelief for the sake of a couple of hours of entertainment that includes interior shots of locomotive cabs. Thumbsup

Ralph
Remember the movie Runaway Train?. Someone told me there was also a story with it.
Really?........All I saw were trains.............
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
I'll go see it, after all it has trains, and Denzel. But really - the loco up on 4 wheels? The real story is pretty interesting without the embellishment, but I guess only to train people. That's what I liked about Apollo 13 - there was no need to embellish the tension, simply tellt he story as it happened.

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com
Me and the wife cant wait i took the night off from work to see it 2285_
Harry Check out my blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://newyorkontariowestern.blogspot.com/">http://newyorkontariowestern.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
Ralph Wrote:I've seen the preview clip on TV. I'm willing to suspend disbelief for the sake of a couple of hours of entertainment that includes interior shots or locomotive cabs. Thumbsup
Ralph

I agree totally. Suspend disbelief for a couple hours, enjoy an action-packed movie with lots of RR scenes. You have to suspend disbelief with most movies anyway, right? Rob
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
I'm the same way about airplane and military movies. I just turn off my "logic" button that controls the "it doesn't happen that way" center in my brain and enjoy the movie. I appreciate those movies that really try to "get it right", but realize that those movies are the exceptions - not the norm. So go see the movie...have fun! Popcornbeer Thumbsup
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
I can't even remember the last movie I saw, and it has been years since I have been to a theater, but y'all have talked me into seeing this one. When does it come out?
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Gary S Wrote:I can't even remember the last movie I saw, and it has been years since I have been to a theater, but y'all have talked me into seeing this one. When does it come out?
Gary;

Wife and I went to see Secretariat (great movie and an event that we both clearly remember) and that was the first movie we'd seen in a couple of years. She wants us to go see Unstoppable, so I guess I'll suspend my "it doesn't work that way" part of the brain and go see it. Supposed to be released next Friday Nov 12th.

Seen too many railroad related movies that are just totally outlandish, but then this is for entertainment so might be fun.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
I'll see if Vicki wants to see it. Hmmm.... maybe we'll have an evening ot, go to dinner, see a movie, you reckon I can get away with taking her to a runaway train movie?
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Gary;

Well if the wife likes Denzel Washington (which mine does) you might get away with it just fine. Just be sure that the dinner is a good one (no McDonald's!!!). Worse that can happen is you hear "I should have know that movie would have to do with trains!" for a month! In my case, the wife is actually more interested in seeing this movie than I am. I have yet to recover from some of the made for TV "train accident" movies that I saw some years ago.

Back when I worked for the L&N, a bunch of us went to see the movie "Emperor of North Pole" with Lee Marvin one night after work and really got a kick out of it in spite of all the Hollywood stuff in it. After seeing that movie, we'd tease each other by using some of the nicknames in that movie - "The Shack", "Brakie", "Hogger", "A No. 1", etc.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
RobertInOntario Wrote:We get a show here called "Myth Busters" where two guys test out to try and prove or disprove (scientifically) various conceptions people might have or stunts you see in movies.

I seem to recall, a few months ago, seeing one where they tried to disprove some of the bus stunt scenes that were depicted in the 1990s movie, Speed. They basically disproved many of the scenes in the movie, proving that a bus could never be driven and maneuvered as it was in the movie.

Maybe they will do the same thing with Unstoppable in a few years!

Rob

The bus scene used a ramp to get the bus up for a moment, and CGI to complete the scene. It was explained in detail on the inevitable "The Making oF..." special.
Gary S Wrote: I can't even remember the last movie I saw, and it has been years since I have been to a theater ...

I'm with you on that score! The last time I went to the theater to see a movie was the re-make of "The Italian Job." I can tell you this much about that ...

... having owned four original-size "hopped-up" Mini Cooper "S"s on the 10" x 5.5" wheels (one car after another in succession) when I was considerably younger and a whole lot crazier ... there was no trick photography there ... just some amazing trick driving (I've been up and down municipal building front steps and jumped over things ... when I was younger and a whole lot crazier ... it's all entirely doable!)

But to see a train movie ... ummmmm ... I just may drive the 20 miles to Ft. Myers and take in an afternoon matinee.
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
The last movie I saw in a theater was Fubar 2. It was a good movie to grab a few beers before hand and then go watch. Juvenile, and stupid. I laughed so hard I cried a couple of times...