Qubelok - Modular Aluminum Supports
Hello, Can anyone advise whether the Australian product Qubelok (or something similar) is available in the USA?

I'm sure I've seen something but I can't remember. It is basically an extruded hollow aluminum square tube with plastic interconnectors so that you build up the shape you need.
I'm looking for a lightweight support system for a layout, if that helps.

Many thanks, Pete.
This is the first time I've looked at this section of Big Blue in months. I've never seen the product that you mentioned in the U.S. What is it used for in Australia?
This link might help:
http://www.aluminiumwarehouse.com.au/?ac...ew&page=70
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Thanks Sumpter. I've never seen it in the U.S., but if round tubing will work as well, the same sort of thing is available in round tubing. I'm not sure, but I think it is sold by home improvement and hardware stores for use as electrical conduit. At a summer camp where I volunteer to work in the summer, we use something like that in round tubing @1 inch in diameter to support a large tarp to provide shade over a craft area.
You can find Qubelok -type products here -

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.brunnerent.com/Tools/Portfolio/frontend/itemlist.asp?type=2&size=0&lngDisplay=2&strMetaTag">http://www.brunnerent.com/Tools/Portfol ... strMetaTag</a><!-- m -->

If that doesn't work for you, try Brunnereent.com, then click on " tubing connectors". They are in Lackawanna , NY.

There may be other sources elsewhere in the US - perhaps a search for Aluminum Tubing Connectors or Square
Aluminum Tubing and Connectors" will yield results in your geographic area.....

Happy Rails!
Doug
Bunnings a big box home improvement store chain here in Australia sells something similar under the Connect-it brand.
I feel pretty confident in saying that if we can get such stuff here in OZ then you are bound to be able to get it in the US at home improvement stores.
Basically 25.4 mm x 25.4 mm [1" x 1" for you non metricated folks] aluminium tube in two lengths 1.2m or 3.0m [@ 4ft. and 3 yards] in natural or a range of colours. There are also a couple of profiles in addition to square if you wish to support glass or timber shelves.
I have used the system for a project at work and it is good, just as long as you work within the limitations of the aluminium and the plastic joiners.
I would suggest that the use of discretely placed self tapping screws to lock the joiners and aluminium together, just pre-drill a pilot hole for the self tapper. Make a drilling jig for the aluminium tube and also for the plastic joiners and that way when you go to re use them when you re-configure something, it will all go together easily [in theory].
The plastic connectors come in a range of shapes from simple elbows through to 3, 4, 5, and 6 way connections and end caps. One thing I did was I bought the more numerous [5 and or 6] connectors and cut off the arms I didnt need. I used to other more specific connectors where they were to be seen. This tip will come in handy if your local store doesnt stock all of the particular type you need.That was my particular problem, 35 . You can always cut an arm off from a 5 or a 6 to keep your project moving along and we are all used to working with plastics here.

If you wish to cut the aluminium with your drop saw, you can this stuff is only thin, just do it carefully, wear safety glasses and ear muffs [it screeches when cut] and use a high teeth number blade, use a lube stick or failing that use some WD-40. Think about where the shavings will go as sweeping up on concrete is one thing, trying to get aluminium shavings out of carpet or embeded in lino or a plaster wall. Make you cut slowly and when finished allow the blade to stop before lifting up, this is to prevent the blade grabbing the off-cut and throwing it probably at you.

If you dont like the idea of cutting al. with a dropsaw, you can use a hack saw and I would suggest that you see if you can get a small mitre box a bit like the one Atlas sells [or that one] and mounting that to your work bench will help you to make nice neat square cuts. A fine bastard mill file or failing that some sandpaper glued to a wooden block, can be used to dress up the ragged ends following cutting.

Hope this helps

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More