My Z scale layouts from start to ???
Ok this is where all you lucky people get to look over my shoulder as I stumble through the construction of my new portable Z scale layout.

First up here are two pics showing the basic construction of the layout table.There is nothing fancy about it but it will be nice and sturdy.

First pic is of the table top. It is nothing more than a 1/4" plywood handy panel sanded one side.

[Image: z1pic.jpg]

The top will be covered with expanded polystyrene (you know "blueboard"). I haven't really decided what thickness yet though I am leaning toward 2" so I can get some decent below grade scenery.This will be surounded on all 4 sides by masonite.

Second pic is of the bottom,here I splurged some and bought a better grade of material.The framing is of premium grade wood that used to be called screen stock because that was the origonal intended use of this very stable and straight wood. The framework is attached to the plywood top with 1"drywall screws.

[Image: z2pic.jpg]

The trackplan is going to be pretty simple not much more than a single loop with a couple of sidings for good measure.Anyway now you've seen the start of it.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Ok,you guys ready for the next instalment? Tough your getting it anyway Big Grin

Here are a couple quick pics of the table framework that I built last night to hold the Z layout or my N scale DCC test track at a comfortable working height for me.

I used the same 1" x 2" screenstock for this that I used for the layout framework.

[Image: z3pic.jpg]

[Image: z4pic.jpg]

As you can see it is a very basic assembly,but since it is going to be supporting a max of 15 pounds I'm not to worried about strength.I have added extra bracing since these pics but it still is light duty stuff.

Next project is putting on the extruded polystyrene (in blue and green).
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Got the track I needed and now have started to fuss with the trackplan.Since this is a layout meant for exhibition the plan will remain quite simple. What you see in the picture is just the very beginnings of the trackwork.There will be at least one more turnout with a usable siding.

[Image: z5pic.jpg]

The white background you see is my wife's Christmas village table being used to hide the mess behind it :o

I have a long ways to go ,but it's been a fun trip so far. .
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Here's the first pic of the roughed in track plan.You will notice the riverbed is roughed in and there are two crudely scratchbuilt through girder ballasted deck bridges (place holders till spyder62 gets time to try his laser magic).The one on the backside is skewed to follow the angle of the river as it falls off the edge of the earth Big Grin

[Image: z8pic.jpg]

By the way spyder these bridges are 48 Z feet long.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

I needed one more righthand turnout to finish (for now) my track plan Got the RH turnout actually 24 hours after I ordered it.(sometimes Walthers simply amazes me :mrgreen: ) Anyway here are two update pics showing the teamtrack itself installed.

[Image: teamtrk1.jpg]

[Image: teamtrk2.jpg]

Next comes weathering the new track,making a parking lot,building the dock/loading ramp,and scenery.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Well I am actually ahead of scedule Big Grin

[Image: tmtrk1.jpg]

[Image: tmtrk2.jpg]

[Image: tmtrk6.jpg]

[Image: tmtrk7.jpg]

[Image: tmtrk5.jpg]

I think I need a smaller building for the furniture factiory.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Ok guys, here's the latest update on the Z scale version of the Grande Valley Railway.I had the step ladder in the room so used it to get this overhead picture.

[Image: zlayout2.jpg]

Three more building permits have been issued so the next update should show a new fire station,a new Stop & Rob Market and a Fast Food Joint.I am hoping though doubting that there will be someone with some reasonably priced Z scale vehicles at the show tomorrow.(update) There was nothing at that show,but should be some at the January show.

Ok,this is as far as I have gotton as og 12-23-08.I'm still having fun so I ain't complainin'. :mrgreen:
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

That's some pretty quick progress...and it looks good! Zscale is amazing...I'm suprised how many scenery items there are...cars, buildings, etc.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Im really liking the layout Johnathan Thumbsup Thumbsup

I like the buildings and the roads you layed out too

Looking forward to seeing some more progress :mrgreen:
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Well I would say that it is Time for a new update picture

[Image: 2-1-09a.jpg]

Roads are done,riverbed and banks are done (river is still dry though),have some trees growing in upper lefthand corner of picture.There are even three new buildings on the layout. The four that you see so far starting with the blue one which is station 2 of the Edwardsburg (a real Michigan twon) fire department,The next one up on the otherside of the road is Fowler Furniture named after a freind of mine.Next one up at the intersection is a 7 Eleven store (being handicapped I made sure there is parking for me Smile ) the white building by the river is RS Laser Kits named after some guy named Rich Shepperd.I have one more building planned (even bought it already) I just haven't built it yet.

Much left to do but it's time to get going on the N scale layout for awhile.Next update most likely won't be till March.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Progress is looking good Thumbsup

I like that furniture building Misngth and the river is looking good too Thumbsup
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
you got some quick progress there catt Thumbsup , i know i could never model something that small,i can barely build HO models Big Grin --josh
Women may not find you handsome,but they'll atleast find you handy--Red Green
C&O ALL THE WAY--[Image: chessie.gif]
by Catt on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:05 pm !!!! Eek

Wow,I can't believe I've gone that long without a update.I definately think it's time to bring this thread upto date.So here are a couple pics to bring this thread to the present time. :mrgreen:

[Image: cattsz1.jpg]

[Image: cattsz2.jpg]

I only work on this layout during show season so that if you saw it yesterday ,at the next show it will look different.

These pics were taken yesterday (9-26-10) at the Muskegon,MI. show.I promise the next update will be no later than 10-11-10.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Glad you updated! The layout looks great! I really like the river as a scenic feature. Were you going to put the grain elevator you're constructing on this layout?
Ralph
Ralph,the grain elevator is N scale and for my home layout.Now you have me thinking about doing one for the Z since Intermountain is going to be doing their cylindrical hoppers in Z (What the Hell might just as well be broke all the time)

I am mulling over making extentions for either end of the Z layout and will need to have industries for them anyway.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"