Extreme Trains
Darn , missed it. Nope
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
wgrider Wrote:Darn , missed it. Nope
It's on every week. I'm sure it won't be too long before they start running reruns.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
ezdays Wrote:
wgrider Wrote:Darn , missed it. Nope
It's on every week. I'm sure it won't be too long before they start running reruns.

They already do during the week Icon_lol

Tonight's is the Transcontinental RR
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
I was talking with a family member Christams, and he pretty much echoes what everyone says here.
He likes the show, loves it in fact. They just gotta get rid of the host.
And this is coming from an armchair railfan and modeler..
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
I think Dave Hinckley from the Daily News said it best..

Quote:The problem is that despite watching Bown change a brake shoe and help load a coal car, we don't see enough of the trains themselves. We don't get a sense of their majesty and power, the pull of the locomotive, the glide of the wheels. Too much he-man technical stuff, not enough cool stuff or romance.
Bown also has one failing among his many good qualities as a host. He seems to think he needs to frame a routine daily coal train run as life-or-death drama, warning us every five minutes that if the brakes fail or the coal cars come loose, there could be a terrible wreck.
From his tone, you'd think the odds are somewhere around 50-50 and that it's a miracle any train completes its run at all.
Don't get me wrong, I like his acting on camera, and the show, it just doesn't work for me (and apparently many others)

Every review I have read is very similar.
Tom

Model Conrail

I loved when they were going over the Great Salt Lake causeway tonight, it is cool to see that one side of the lake is perfectly calm while the other has whitecaps over all it and how the two sides are different colors. Wish they could have talked about the original Lucin Cutoff, it was impressive that a trestle bridge that long could be built back in the first decade of the 1900's.
Scott
My cable is off.
Does anyone have this episode recorded still?
I have a feeling my daughter would love seeing the circus train and so would I.

And I do agree with everyone else that they need to replace the host.
CANNONBALL
Baby likes to rock it like a boogie-woogie choo-choo train!
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&f=3&t=364">posting.php?mode=reply&f=3&t=364</a><!-- l -->
Yo Cannonball...Extreme Trains on History Channel will air 3 consecutive shows this Saturday starting at 1pm Dallas time....

Oh yeah, give the guy a break...I'd be slobberin' all over myself if I were him Confusedhock:
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191
scubadude Wrote:http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/posting.p...&f=3&t=364
Yo Cannonball...Extreme Trains on History Channel will air 3 consecutive shows this Saturday starting at 1pm Dallas time....

Oh yeah, give the guy a break...I'd be slobberin' all over myself if I were him Confusedhock:

I mean I don't have cable anymore.
We turned it off to save the money.
No History Channel so no reruns. Sad
CANNONBALL
Baby likes to rock it like a boogie-woogie choo-choo train!
The host is a bit "over the top," but I think we have to give him a bit of a break. The series is aimed at the general public that knows nothing about trains, not at railfans. I thought it interesting when he pointed out that visibility is at best 5 miles from the cab, but that haze and general atmospheric conditions usually limit the visibility to 2 miles. It also takes 2 miles to stop a train that big from 60-70 mph. That means that if the engineer sees a car or truck on a grade crossing, he has to instantly decide if the vehicle is stopped as soon as he sees it and then go to an emergency stop to avoid a wreck if it is stopped. What he didn't mention is that if the engineer puts the train into an emergency stop, and the vehicle moves off the tracks before he gets there, the engineer has a good chance of flat spotting a bunch of the wheels on the train.
It was another interesting episode.
And I did notice that the host was a little calmer, then previous episodes.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
I've heard it through the grapevine that there will be a second season of Extreme Trains produced. Hopefully they can work on medicating the host before the filming begins...
railohio Wrote:I've heard it through the grapevine that there will be a second season of Extreme Trains produced. Hopefully they can work on medicating the host before the filming begins...
Either that, or send him to hosting school on the off time. There must be a school to teach TV hosts how to act since most of them do the same things, like walk and talk as the camera rolls backwards, and use the same motions to emphasis what they are talking about. Not continually point downwards with two fingers as he stares into the camera lens. To me, he's about as annoying as a former football jock doing the pre-game warm up show, or the play-by-play. Wallbang He has first hand knowledge of a lot of what he's talking about, he just needs to know how to act in front of the camera. Maybe it's not his fault, he does have a producer and a director and even a script writer. Are these people really doing their jobs? Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:It was another interesting episode.
And I did notice that the host was a little calmer, then previous episodes.

My wife noticed it too, she's said he looked like he really wanted to burst out but kept alot in
Tom

Model Conrail

ezdays Wrote:Maybe it's not his fault, he does have a producer and a director and even a script writer. Are these people really doing their jobs? Nope

Of course they do; the snow was renewed for a second season after all. Isn't that their main goal?