Repower Walthers GP15-1
I did get an unused A-line motor with flywheels from my CF-7 repowering session. The P1K/Walthers GP15-1 are relative new and entry price engines with "average" running and noise performance. I thought to give it a try how a Mashima (A-line) motor would do.
The installation was very easy because both motors have the exact same dimensions. The flywheels have been removed from the A.line motor prior installation not to put the unbalance problem into this unit.
The result is a wash. There is no difference worth to mention. Looks like Walthers toke the money and bought motors of equal quality as original Mashima motors are.
Summry: No reason to tinker with the GP15-1 motor if you want to improve the run or noise.

Remark 1: I did read long discussions about pro and contra of flywheels. This was the first time I did omit the flywheel intentionally. There is no noticeable difference. The two truck have reliable current pickup and the speed variation is controlled by CV3 and CV4. Without the decoder the engine lost a free run of 1/2".

Remark 2: The noise of the GP15-1 comes from the trucks (like the CF-7). I will have to dig deeper into the quality differences of trucks that look very similar but do perform from point of view of noise very different. Atlas and Athearn Genesis trucks are very smooth while Athearn RTR and this Walthers GP15-1 truck are noisy. The old P1K trucks in RS2 have been very smooth too. While the basics of operation are the same it looks like it is question of quality management to stay within close tolerances during manufacturing of the plastic parts.
Reinhard
I did dig into the the noisy Walthers GP15-1 trucks again.
In the trucks are three little axis with tooth wheels to form the transmission. The axis of steel run in the plastic without any further bearings. They are the source of the noise from the trucks. Walthers lubricates this "lowest cost bearing" not on all engines. You need to carefully remove the bottom plate of the trucks, shift the little axis to the left and right position and give them a drop of oil on each side. Very easy but be carefully, the new Walthers material for the bottom plate is more brittle than the older P2K material. Do not break it!
ps. I did use an oil that is made for plastic and metal.
Reinhard
Reinhard, a common problem with the Athearn r-t-r trucks is flash on the gears, sometimes so small that it is almost invisible to the naked eye. I'm wondering if the same problem might also be common to Walthers. What I do with all of my blue box or r-t-r Athearn units is to clean out the gear box in the trucks, and put in a little squirt of toothpaste, and run the locomotive in with the toothpaste about 10-15 minutes in each direction. Before using the locomotive again, I take the trucks apart and clean out the gears and gear box with mild detergent and water and/or clean them with alcohol. Then put the trucks back together and lube with a little plastic compatible oil. I've found that the mechanisms run much smoother after that treatment of the trucks.
Russ Bellinis Wrote:Reinhard, a common problem with the Athearn r-t-r trucks is flash on the gears, sometimes so small that it is almost invisible to the naked eye. I'm wondering if the same problem might also be common to Walthers. What I do with all of my blue box or r-t-r Athearn units is to clean out the gear box in the trucks, and put in a little squirt of toothpaste, and run the locomotive in with the toothpaste about 10-15 minutes in each direction. Before using the locomotive again, I take the trucks apart and clean out the gears and gear box with mild detergent and water and/or clean them with alcohol. Then put the trucks back together and lube with a little plastic compatible oil. I've found that the mechanisms run much smoother after that treatment of the trucks.

Cheers

Another thing that works is Soft Scrub Cleanser ( without bleach ). Use it just like the tooth paste.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I am expecting two more P1K GP15 the next days and I am sure the trucks will not be a smooth as I like it. That will be a good time to spend some tooth paste or soft scrub cleanser.
Reinhard