Ann Arbor RR Mt. Pleasant Branch
I am following this thread religiously. I love the model work as well as how you've downsized the layout into what is becoming one that is also becoming a fascinating pike (when's the last time you heard that word to describe a layout).
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Working on a college campus, the May graduation season leaves little time for modeling. I have however started construction on two Rix Products highway bridges that will serve as a visual end to my Huron and Eastern Railroad HO shelf layout.

The bridges collectively form the southbound and northbound lanes carrying traffic on I-75 over the HESR’s Wenona Yard. While the prototype does pass below several concrete bridges and Interstate 75, I’ve taken a bit of modeler’s license to move the highway to the Kawkawlin yard scene.

The bridges are structurally complete at this time, but have yet to be weathered and installed on the layout. I plan to finish scenery work beneath them before their final installation. I am still considering the addition of a mirror at the end of the yard tracks to suggest a larger yard.

To fit the bridge into the scene I've curved the rear edge of the lanes on the right to match the background's coved corner. The extreme right lane is also trimmed to allow for the trim strip to fit.

Overall, I'm happy with the appearance of the bridges, although I wish I had left enough space to create a proper dirt abutment.

[Image: 13997990169_1484916bf0_c.jpg]HESR Shelf Layout I-75 Overpass by dangaken, on Flickr

[Image: 13998015008_48c5ed2478_c.jpg]HESR Shelf Layout I-75 Overpass by dangaken, on Flickr
Mike Kieran Wrote:I am following this thread religiously. I love the model work as well as how you've downsized the layout into what is becoming one that is also becoming a fascinating pike (when's the last time you heard that word to describe a layout).

Mike, thanks for the vote of confidence! Initially, I was very disappointed to have to relocate the layout (to a smaller space). I had always hoped for a design that would allow continuous running (right now I'm considering a small n-scale oval beneath the yard leg of this layout that is little more than scenery and a loop of track).

However, now that I've begun construction, the scope of this project is very encouraging. I am finding that I can plan for some level of detail, scratch build some structures, achieve some operational interest and still believe I can "complete" the layout in an acceptable timeframe.

Thanks for following along on the construction of my pike! Thumbsup
I hear you. May is a busy time of the year on college campuses. Layouts like yours are also easy to maintain. I've been to some large layouts where dusting the scenery is a constant chore, even with a pressurized room. Hang in there. Man, this would also be an interesting freelance short line, especially with patched ex-Santa Fe CF-7s or GP-7us.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Over the weekend I was able to work on the layout in the area behind the diesel locomotive facility. Here the I-75 overpass provides a visual "end" to the layout.

The Rix Products highway overpass has been weathered. A BLMA modern billboard now sits next to the roadway. To compensate for the height difference the billboard was mounted into a 5/16" brass tube. Below the overpass is a strip of steel wool (a technique outlined in Lance Mindheim's books) to simulate scrub and a distant tree line.

Here is an overall view of the scene as it looks now: [Image: 14210687692_d8f4aab0b6_c.jpg]HESR Shelf Layout Contruction by dangaken, on Flickr

Here is shot that shows the weathering of the roadway. Weathering was done with chalks sealed with dullcoat. The street markings are Microscale decals (available as a custom run through Micromark). Initially, the decals looked good but did not take the dullcoat well and are curling in some places. [Image: 14026451208_fd2dc89e58_c.jpg]HESR Shelf Layout Contruction by dangaken, on Flickr

Here is a shot of the BLMA modern billboard. I think it's a great model. I've added a custom sign for the Euclid Ave. McDonalds, I thought a sign with a specific exit would help establish the location of the layout. [Image: 14026449579_19ac85a8a9_c.jpg]HESR Shelf Layout Contruction by dangaken, on Flickr
I was able to spend some time this weekend prepping the area that will become the engine facility at the end of my layout. It represents the prototype's facilities in the Kawkawlin / Bay City Wenona Yard.

The final scene will have an engine shed with a single track, a second track for locomotive servicing (with a sanding tower and fuel pad), and an adjacent three track yard. At the yard throat will be a small yard office (the prototype has a concrete block structure, I'll be using BLMA's metal sided office as a stand in).

To begin construction in the area I put a single sheet of HO scale cork beneath the area and laid the track. I then used the Woodland Scenics foam tape to block off the area to be paved. This included the engine shed, the two tracks to the locomotive service area and the shed, and a space between the two areas that will support the engine service equipment. Woodland Scenics Smooth It was then poured into the area. As the material began to set I used a variety of styrene strips to work it into all areas and then to smooth the top surface. By running a strip across the tops of the rails and then inside the web I was able to create a space for wheel flanges to pass.

Here is the area prepped for the pour:
[Image: 14347485028_64109911a3.jpg]HESR Engine Facility - Before Pour by dangaken, on Flickr

Here is the area after the pour:
[Image: 14347604137_6931573199.jpg]HESR Engine Facility - After Pour by dangaken, on Flickr

Here is a photo of the actual prototype facility - as you can see, there is a healthy amount of modeler's license taken to allow this to fit into my layout's foot print.
[Image: 4490491669_7e78d3031a.jpg]HESR Wenona Shops by dangaken, on Flickr

[Image: 4490510161_a7c7e3a98b.jpg]HESR Wenona Shops by dangaken, on Flickr
Despite working on a college campus (yesterday marked the first day of our fall term), I have managed to get some work in on the layout.

I have finished painting my track. I am using Atlas Code 83 flex track with Micro Engineering Code 83 turnouts.

To achieve the wood grain appearance with the tie painting I first spray painted the track with an off-white primer. After allowing the primer to cure for 24 hours I then brush painted the ties with artist oils (burnt umber and sienna) thinned with mineral spirits.

I first saw this technique used by a modeler named Jeff who is modeling the Grand Trunk's Flint sub. Check out his beautiful layout here: <a href="http://gtwflintsub.blogspot.com/p/trowbridge_17.html" rel="nofollow">gtwflintsub.blogspot.com/p/trowbridge_17.html</a>

[Image: 15048773175_c45fd515ff.jpg]HESR Shelf Layout - Track Painting by dangaken, on Flickr
I've also made some progress on the HESR's single-stall engine shed at their Wenona Yard in Bay City.

I've sanded the Smooth-It asphalt surface and painted it using the Woodland Scenics street system top coat. After drawing on cracks, I weathered the area with chalks. The diesel sanding tower is from Walthers and the lamp posts are Details West castings.

The background transition was created with a strip if Mirlon steel wool, as described by Lance Mindheim in his blog: <a href="http://www.lancemindheim.com/2013_archives.htm" rel="nofollow">www.lancemindheim.com/2013_archives.htm</a>

[Image: 14862184988_3053d441fd.jpg]HESR Engine Facility by dangaken, on Flickr

[Image: 15048417062_7a563cd636.jpg]HESR Wenona Shops by dangaken, on Flickr
Dan,

Looks great.

Larry
Hi,
looking very good...Keep it going.

Cheers,Chris
Building the BC-Rail Dawson Creek Subdivision in H0 scale http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=7835
Chris, Larry - thanks for the support - it helps! I had thought I was making good progress, but looking at the dates between posts I realize that I was more than a full month since my last update! I need the prompts to keep on it!
Nice looking locomotive facility! Thumbsup
Very nice looking scene!
I also like the neatness of you're layout room.
Keep up the good work!

Cheers
Jacques
Looking Good!BTW Atlas will be producing the NESR Gp38 or Gp40 in HO scale.You might wanna check out the Atlas website or their Facebook page. Smile
Don Shriner
I saw that! They had announced a GP40-2W a few years ago in both the HESR and Central Michigan livery, I had pre-ordered one but the delivery date came and went. The status then said "To Be Re-Released."

I've got my fingers crossed that I'll get one this time!