Ann Arbor RR Mt. Pleasant Branch
Not too much time lately for modeling. I did have a free day this weekend, so, to the basement!

Today's project: weathering an Atlas Master Silver Series GP40-2 in the red and blue Grand Trunk livery.

The process was a straightforward weathering project. I began by disassembling the locomotive and washing it with water and mild dish detergent. The windows and number boards were masked and the shell received a light airbrushing with a wash of dust to dull the bright colors. After masking the trucks they received a light treatment with chalks and powders, as did the fuel tank.

Weathering on the hoods is simply weathering powders with a few drops of burnt umber artists oils pulled down with a brush to create rust.

Before:
[Image: 15684964661_528257c4ac.jpg]Atlas GP40-2 GTW 6418 - Before by dangaken, on Flickr

After:
[Image: 15067522093_c1c211cd17.jpg]Atlas GP40-2 GTW 6418 - After by dangaken, on Flickr
Very interesting layout, Dan.
Locomotives look good, too.
Good job on the weathering..!! Just enough to show it's been doing its job, without burying the details under a coat of crap.. Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
Nicely done, the rusted cab roof is a great touch.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
dgaken Wrote:I've also made some progress on the HESR's single-stall engine shed at their Wenona Yard in Bay City.

I've sanded the Smooth-It asphalt surface and painted it using the Woodland Scenics street system top coat. After drawing on cracks, I weathered the area with chalks. The diesel sanding tower is from Walthers and the lamp posts are Details West castings.

[Image: 15048417062_7a563cd636.jpg]HESR Wenona Shops by dangaken, on Flickr

Any issues with shrinkage or cracking with the Smooth-It system? My room can be humid in the warmer months and I wonder if it is durable enough for the temperature swings we get.
Stephen 

Modeling a freelanced, present day short line set in Nova Scotia, Canada. 

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9643
Stephen --

So far, so good with the Smooth-It. I have noticed the the benchwork (hollow-core doors) has shrunk a little with the arrival of winter and drop in humidity. The only cracks are the ones that I've drawn on!
[Image: 15547209864_551cf3bc5e_o.jpg]Huron & Eastern HO Track Plan - Revised by dangaken, on Flickr

After about 8 months of work on my shelf HO shelf layout I have made a few revisions to the track plan. After operating the layout for a few months it became apparent that it could be enhanced with a few changes.

On the long leg featuring Wenona Yard I've changed the orientation of the team track. The initial plan had a facing point leading into the team track, that has now been changed to a trailing point to so that all switch points on that leg of the layout are orientated the same direction.

More changes were made to the short leg.

Track work changes:
The points on the end of the runaround track furthest from the yard had be problematic. This was a sharp curve returning to the mainline. I've replaced the single switch with a pair of turnouts to make a crossover that completes the runaround. This also has the benefit of extending the passing siding to the end of the layout. This creates a about 24" of track that can be used as an off-spot or storage for industries on this leg.

Industry changes:
What was going to be a General Motors plant is now MadeRite Foods. Although large (the structure runs for 4-feet along the backdrop) the space was just not large enough to accurately convey an automotive plant. The food plant (loosely based on the BetterMade / MadeRite potato chip plant in Bay City, MI) has the benefit of taking a variety of loads. The far end will feature storage silos for flour unloaded from covered hoppers. Tanks will store vegetable oil from tank cars. The loading doors will receive potatoes from reefers and box cars will unload packaging. Finished products are imagined to leave the far side of the plan via truck.

The two shorter spurs will host a building supply company (lumber loads on flatcars and boxcars of building materials) and the other will be a scrap yard that loads metal into gons.
Over the Memorial Day weekend I found a few hours to work on the layout. In particular, two projects received attention: modeling the Euclid Ave. grade crossing, and installing a fascia drawer to rotate rolling stock on and off the layout.

The grade crossing project began as a single 3' 6" sheet of styrene. After adding curbs, signage, parking bumpers, etc. I masked and painted parking lines, lane markings, and weathered the surface. It is attached to the layout with DAP adhesive caulk. The Taco Bell parking lot is augmented with crushed lava rock and small shrubs.

Next steps will include adding working grade crossing signals, adding a BLMA rubber grade crossing mat, and circling the Taco Bell parking lot with chain link fence.

Both the Taco Bell and Shell gas station are Summit Custom Cuts models.

[Image: 17915803528_38f9ddb7ea_z.jpg]HESR Shelf Layout - Euclid Ave. Grade Crossing by Dan Gaken, on Flickr

[Image: 18100277532_8dc88811d5_k.jpg]HESR Shelf Layout - Fascia Drawer by Dan Gaken, on Flickr

I suspect that I will soon add foam cradles or another means of keeping delicate locomotives and freight cars from rolling about in the drawer.
You built the Summit Custom Cuts models very nice and clean. They fit perfect into the contemporary layout-
Reinhard
Thanks, Reinhard! I've been happy with them - although I really wish that I had installed interiors in them (at least a photo interior) - it's now too difficult to crack them open!