I'd like to say Hello
Hello !

In another thread, I was told:

P5se Camelback Wrote:You are in good company here and from looking at your model work, you'll fit right in! You will be in a position to teach, as well as to learn!

That's how it goes here! We all learn from each other and the expertise level continues to rise!

So, Welcome

That were exactly my feelings when I browsed the forum. Following a link, posted in a german forum, I was just curious whats going on here - with no intention to join. But I quickly change my mind, this seems to be the place to be.

For those, that dont know me from other forums - I am more a railroad model builder than a model railroader. Which means that I seldom buy something, I mostly build the stuff myself. The big advantage is, that I can get what ever I want - the drawback is that it takes forever to build a layout. Speaking of layouts, I have one under construction, but it is a bit unusual. Its not meant for operation, its made for (model-) railfanning. Just a big loop, diverted into seperate scenes showing different locations and eras.
Wanna know anything else?

P.S. Here's a model I finished yesterday in the evening. I'd like to share the pic but don't know where to put....

Jens
Hello Jens.
That is a good looking model and I guess you figured out how to post a picture.
Would you tell us some more about your building techniques. Even it they are rather normal ones, the more they are talked about, the more people understand.
Charlie
Hi Jens --

Welcome to the forum! We have several members from Germany - and you guys all seem to be excellent modelers too!

Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about your buildings and rolling stock projects!

Smile,
Stein
Charlie B Wrote:Would you tell us some more about your building techniques. Even it they are rather normal ones, the more they are talked about, the more people understand.
Charlie

I am tempted to throw in a "depends" or "what ever it takes", just because it is the case. But lets see...

Allmost all my models are glued together from styrene sheet and styrene strips. Basic pieces were cut manually with a cutter and a steel ruler. Odd shaped pieces and pieces that were needed in quantitiy I cut with my cnc-driven router. Don't bash me, pls. Since the router is very slow and got f***ed up (inaccurate) over the years, I sometimes do send files to a fellow modeler who gets them cut by laser. Occassionally, when I have to admit that I am not able to make a specific piece (odd shaped, threedimensional) within an adequate timeframe/effort, I send the file to a rapidprototyping contractor. Again, don't bash me pls.

I' like to go more into depth with my next car. I'll then post it in the scratchbuilding section. I just need to figure out, what to build next..
Jens
That's a great looking car! I have to agree with Stein, seems our German contingent are all excellent modelers.

Don't ever worry about anyone "bashing" you on this forum. Every technique has its place, and using them to advantage is the mark of an excellent modeler. I bet most of us would love to see more of how you create those special parts.

Welcome!
Jens -

Welcome! That SP car looks great. Please go right ahead and share your construction techniques and pictures!

(Please don't worry about the "bashing" here...it isn't going to happen. This is truly a great modeling forum and everyone is always respectful. People quickly learn that this is a family-friendly place where folks post messages that are all-age appropriate.)
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Your methods do really carry scratch built to the old levels. I think it is wonderful that you are able to do that. I devote my time more to the actual layout and I have bought many kits. I have 27 P2K Mather stock car kits to finish, which is as close to scratch built as I'll ever get.
As for bashing, well, 35 35 35 Icon_lol
Charlie
If you think about it ...
Scratch building is really no different than building a craftsman kit ...
... you just have to fabricate the parts first. Big Grin
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Welcome aboard Jens. Cheers