What ya think?
MountainMan Wrote:Your layout - your rules. If you want rail service, it will be there.

Actually I'm trying to get off that old well beaten industry path and find the odd rail customers.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Brakie Wrote:Actually I'm trying to get off that old well beaten industry path and find the odd rail customers.

Odd rail customer / recyclers --------- Icon_lol

Compressed "hot air" recycler: collects all the hot air, that rises from the floor of Congress. It's then sent to a desalt plant, where the heat evaporates salt water, to make drinkable fresh water.

Abused Paper recycler: Collects and recycles all the paper used, and then thrown away by Congress, in the creation of useless laws, to manufacture paper cups for all the new drinking water.

Fertilizer Manufacturer: Collects all the rest of the what Congress creates best, and converts it to fertilizer used for the growing of "Money Trees" ---- this industry could also receive large quantities of GERN Flux, making the fertilizer 3% more efficient, producing 3% more Money Trees, and maybe even making it possible to pay down the National Debt! 357 357

or maybe that's not really as "odd" as I thought it was.... :evil: :evil: 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Brakie Wrote:
MountainMan Wrote:Your layout - your rules. If you want rail service, it will be there.

Actually I'm trying to get off that old well beaten industry path and find the odd rail customers.

Still your rules. If you want rail-served industry, you put it where you want it. That's what modeling is all about. You can always make up some sort of justification later on. Maybe it's a high volume plant in an area where a lot of semi traffic is unacceptable for some reason, or access by vehicle is restricted and unable to meet high flow needs, or maybe the plant was converted from something older that happened to have rail service already, and it's convenient and cost efficient to get rail cars of tires dropped off.

Your call.
I love your ideas Pete ! Icon_lol
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Sumpter250 Wrote:
Brakie Wrote:Actually I'm trying to get off that old well beaten industry path and find the odd rail customers.

Odd rail customer / recyclers --------- Icon_lol

Compressed "hot air" recycler: collects all the hot air, that rises from the floor of Congress. It's then sent to a desalt plant, where the heat evaporates salt water, to make drinkable fresh water.

Abused Paper recycler: Collects and recycles all the paper used, and then thrown away by Congress, in the creation of useless laws, to manufacture paper cups for all the new drinking water.

Fertilizer Manufacturer: Collects all the rest of the what Congress creates best, and converts it to fertilizer used for the growing of "Money Trees" ---- this industry could also receive large quantities of GERN Flux, making the fertilizer 3% more efficient, producing 3% more Money Trees, and maybe even making it possible to pay down the National Debt! 357 357

or maybe that's not really as "odd" as I thought it was.... :evil: :evil: 357

Pink Slime recycling plant: recycles useless politicians to feed the starving. 8-)
"Pink Slime recycling plant: recycles useless politicians to feed the starving. 8-) "

Another great idea ! Cheers
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Soylent Pink?!?! Eek
MountainMan Wrote:Still your rules. If you want rail-served industry, you put it where you want it. That's what modeling is all about. You can always make up some sort of justification later on. Maybe it's a high volume plant in an area where a lot of semi traffic is unacceptable for some reason, or access by vehicle is restricted and unable to meet high flow needs, or maybe the plant was converted from something older that happened to have rail service already, and it's convenient and cost efficient to get rail cars of tires dropped off.

Your call.

That is true but,still I want to maintain believability in the selection of industries..

One of my favorites is a Pillsbury batch plant that receives flour and sugar in covered hoppers..The various cake mixes is shipped by truck.

I have used a casket distributor-they received caskets in 50' boxcars.Yes,there are casket distributors.Some of the larger ones could be rail served.

A tobacco and alcohol beverage distributor is another one I have used.

There are many types of rail served industries that is off the beaten path of the run of the mill industries that populates the majority of layouts and my goal is to have unusual rail served industries that is still fully believable..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Brakie Wrote:
MountainMan Wrote:Still your rules. If you want rail-served industry, you put it where you want it. That's what modeling is all about. You can always make up some sort of justification later on. Maybe it's a high volume plant in an area where a lot of semi traffic is unacceptable for some reason, or access by vehicle is restricted and unable to meet high flow needs, or maybe the plant was converted from something older that happened to have rail service already, and it's convenient and cost efficient to get rail cars of tires dropped off.

Your call.

That is true but,still I want to maintain believability in the selection of industries..

One of my favorites is a Pillsbury batch plant that receives flour and sugar in covered hoppers..The various cake mixes is shipped by truck.

I have used a casket distributor-they received caskets in 50' boxcars.Yes,there are casket distributors.Some of the larger ones could be rail served.

A tobacco and alcohol beverage distributor is another one I have used.

There are many types of rail served industries that is off the beaten path of the run of the mill industries that populates the majority of layouts and my goal is to have unusual rail served industries that is still fully believable..

I'm confused. You want or don't want a rail-served facility? So far, all of your arguments are against it. Icon_lol
Ralph Wrote:Soylent Pink?!?! Eek

It's made from PEOPLE !!!!! Eek Eek

well......there is some minor dispute as to whether or not politicians are really people. Icon_twisted 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Larry,
What about a general recycling facility like Atlantic Coast Fibers http://atlanticcoastfibers.com/. They recycle a plethora of materials including recycled paper in bundles, plastics, construction debris, and cardboard. You could also run a scrap yard that also loads various recyclables such as glass, wood, fiberglass in all of its forms, metals, liuid waste (oil, chemicals, and/or sewage) and the previously listed Atlantic Coast Fibers loadings. I would have a front end loader and/or a conveyer to load cars.

I was toying with the idea of a sewage treatment plant and a recycling/city dump/salvage yard as an industry. This could be a different industry.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Ralph Wrote:Soylent Pink?!?! Eek

Ralph, you beat me to the punch. Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Interesting factoid, Soylent Green was Edgar G. Robinson's last movie. He played Charlton Heston's roommate.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
MountainMan Wrote:I'm confused. You want or don't want a rail-served facility? So far, all of your arguments are against it. Icon_lol

Ok..Let's see if I can clear it up.

I want rail served industries that is off the beaten path of normal layout industries.

Industries like these:

Scrap tire dealer that buys scrap tires and then ships to a recyler.

Pillsbury Batch plant.

Truck to rail garbage transloading-ships garbage to energy plants-its a green thing.

Steel and plastic pipe distributor..

There are many such rail served industries that is never modeled.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

I actually live near atlantic coast fibers & at one time the used the RR alot a short line NY & GL RR (New York & Greenwood Lake RR) they would get hi cube box cars & high side gondolas , they would interchange EL , Conrail & last NS, no more they load containers now & ship by truck to china !!! They had an RS-1 , sw 1200 & the last they have is two old GP 9's now they sit. It's sad !!!
Mike Kieran Wrote:Larry,
What about a general recycling facility like Atlantic Coast Fibers http://atlanticcoastfibers.com/. They recycle a plethora of materials including recycled paper in bundles, plastics, construction debris, and cardboard. You could also run a scrap yard that also loads various recyclables such as glass, wood, fiberglass in all of its forms, metals, liuid waste (oil, chemicals, and/or sewage) and the previously listed Atlantic Coast Fibers loadings. I would have a front end loader and/or a conveyer to load cars.

I was toying with the idea of a sewage treatment plant and a recycling/city dump/salvage yard as an industry. This could be a different industry.

Absolutely! That's a good'un! You could use High Side Gondolas for loads.
Like this.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.exactrail.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/e/x/ex-1402-rtix-gondola-01.jpg">http://www.exactrail.com/media/catalog/ ... ola-01.jpg</a><!-- m -->

The unusual rail served industries is plentiful if one cares to look outside the box.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry