And another railfan from Germany
Hello folks,

I also find my way back to the gauge after a long break. Many years ago, I was an active member and Stephan ( aka Charlie Barret ) brought me back in.

My name is Gerd an I also live in Germany, the south west part. My love for railroads is more than 20 years old and there's still no end in view.
In all these years, I tried a lot of scales and gauges, but finally I ended up with N-scale and 2"-scale.

In N-scale, I collect models of the Southern Railway and will start a modular layout some day. Meanwhile I train my skills on some shunting puzzles and dioramas. My main scope in N-scale is scenery and train operations.

Instead of the scenery lasted N-scale stuff, I build model trains (cars and locos) in 2"-scale, running on 5"-gauge track. I own a live steam 0-4-4 logging Forney and a battery powered Boxcab as also 15 cars and a lot of tracks side stuff. Actually, I build a live steam T-boiler Shay in this scale and I hope to finish her this year.

You will find a lot of pictures and stories about my railroads on my website. All is avaiable in English too => <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gerds-modellbahn.de">http://www.gerds-modellbahn.de</a><!-- m -->

I hope we'll have a good time here and I like the inspiration that I found on this board. I hope this will never ends too as my love to the model railroads.

So here are two photos of my stuff including me on my live steamer.

Cheers, Gerd

My N-scale Racoon-River-Yard - a classic Inglenook layout
[Image: Ingle_13.jpg]

My 2"-scale logging railroad with me at the throttle ;-)
[Image: 1674_2.JPG]
Welcome! Great looking Southern Railway scene. Thumbsup
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Hi Gerd,

what a surprise to meet you here again. Icon_lol
Welcome to the forum and you will surely discover that the people in here are very kind and gentle guys.

I just took a closer look on your website again and I have to say:
It´s really fun to klick through the pages and read the small stories and disrcribtions.
2285_ 2285_ 2285_ SERVING THE SOUTH! 2285_ 2285_ 2285_
Stephan

Guys, if I don't bleed to death pretty soon, I'm gonna die of boredom.
Hello and welcome Welcome

Gerd, you must be the first livesteam largescale railroader I have seen here. Cool stuff, keep us posted on the shay build in live steam. Also you may want to post the pics in the weekly photo fun thread as well they(the regulars) would like to see them as well.

Do they still make TT gauge trains over in Germany? TT did not take off like N and Z here in the states.
Hello,

Stephan - Many thanks for that warm welcome Icon_lol

Yes, TT-scale ist still out there, but not as common as any other gauge. Meanwhile you'll get finescale tracks and rolling stock in 1:120 scale.

Here's a sneak preview of my Shay in progress. Still missing are the real boiler, steam engine, smokebox with stack and a lot of plumbing.
Maybe you'll notice the little G-scale men on the run board.

[Image: Titel_8.jpg]

Cheers, Gerd
Welcome Gerd!

Very nice work and prototype selections! I crew up within 15 miles of the Lima Machine Co location which built that shay's prototype (the later Lima Loco was a few miles to the south...closer to my home town). Today, I live about a mile east from what was the northern most point in the entire Southern system (the northern terminal of the CNO&TP). There is a local gentleman (his work has been featured in the national publications) with a pair of museum quality Southern (CNO&TP) layouts...the one I've seen is approximately 70-80 sq meters.
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
Very nice. I love the live steam stuff. I keep telling myself, one of these days.

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com
Hallo Gerd,

nice to read from you here and welcome in our circle of German model railroaders in this forum. It looks that we are a fast growing species on this side of Atlantic.
I'm very interested to see the progress in building your Shay and I hope for success building such a heavy mechanical engine.

@AF350,
a short note to the East German TT-scale producer Tillig. They have a wide sort of TT models in their product lines because the TT-scale is wide spread especially in Eastern Germany. I think there are 35 diferent basic engines and more than 100 types of rolling stock and they develop each year a good number of new models - only in TT-scale. Tillig produced also fine HO models (all after German and European originals). Here the Tillig-Website if you would like to spend a view on their products.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
modelsof1900 Wrote:@AF350,
a short note to the East German TT-scale producer Tillig. They have a wide sort of TT models in their product lines because the TT-scale is wide spread especially in Eastern Germany. I think there are 35 diferent basic engines and more than 100 types of rolling stock and they develop each year a good number of new models - only in TT-scale. Tillig produced also fine HO models (all after German and European originals). Here the Tillig-Website if you would like to spend a view on their products.

Thanks for the web link---lots of cool stuff there.
I've got the MoW dry goods car done for now. It still needs MoW service decals (yet to be made) and a bit of weathering.

[Image: P1011353-2.jpg]
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's

Beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam