Shay construction
Good morning.

The brake valve was finally installed and tested... without great success :-( The valve works fine so far and I have to do some small adjustments. The problem seems to be the brake cylinder pistons. Maybe I've to replace the seals on them and do some fine tuning. Anyway, here are some more photos.

[Image: Bremse_3i.jpg] [Image: Bremse_5i.jpg] [Image: Bremse_6i.jpg]
Click on thumbs for large pictures.

Cheers, Gerd
Hello,

here's a short update on my Shay project. The steam brake still doesn't work, but I started with the steam engine. The photo shows the cylinders and covers. Yesterday I finished both piston bores. Bore and strock are 30mm.

[Image: Cyl_1i.jpg] [Image: Cyl_5i.jpg] [Image: Cyl_13i.jpg]
Click on thumbs.

Cheers, Gerd
Glad to see you're making progress, Gerd and I'm some glad I found your posts again.

Roy
Geared is the way to tight radii and steep grades.

Ghost River Rwy.
"The Misty Loggers"
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs5qJPRumLA">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs5qJPRumLA</a><!-- m -->
That is some excellent work Thumbsup . If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the blue prints or did you come up with the dimensions your self ??
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Good morning !!!

The Shay was totally constructed by myself, using a plan from a T-boiler Shay out of the Narrow Gauge Gazette and the terrific books by Kozo Hiraoka "Building the Shay" and "Building the NEW Shay" for reference. But at all, I followed my own design to get a close looking little Baby-Shay.

BTW, there was some more progress done last weeks with the steam chests made from brass. There's still some work to do until the chests are finished. I hope to get them done this evening.

[Image: Chest_4i.jpg] [Image: Chest_7i.jpg] [Image: Chest_10i.jpg]

Due to a mistake, I've to make a new cylinder as the holes for the lower cover are not at the right place. The new cast iron block arrived on Saturday.

Cheers, Gerd
Hello,

the cylinders are done and I'll make the piston and slide valves next.

[Image: Stuff_6i.jpg]

Cheers, Gerd
Hi,

I'm back on my big Shay project and did some good progress yesterday. The first cross head bore is finished and works very smooth. I had some trouble with this, but finally got it.

[Image: Coll_9i.jpg]

Here's a short clip at YouTube : <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TujYC1p1FBk">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TujYC1p1FBk</a><!-- m -->

I also got news from the boiler maker and maybe I'll get the locomotive finished this year...

Cheers, Gerd
Worship Thumbsup Worship Thumbsup Worship
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Thanks Mike Wink

Meanwhile, you can see what this part will be at the end of machining. I also start to mill off some other areas, but the mill broke and I've to order a new 8mm ball-end-mill to proceed.

[Image: Coll_14i.jpg]
Click on thumb to enlarge.

Cheers, Gerd
sorry to here about the broken mill. your work seams to be moving along nicely from the looks of your video. This build is the ultimate form of scratch building.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Thank you Smile

Sometimes you can learn from misstakes or incidents like the broken mill (I allready ordered 4 new ones). In this case, I now decided to mill of this area in a different way, so the ball end mill has a lot easier way to just round up the corners and to finish the part. I'll show you some photos when I proceed with this section. I guess from thrusday on, I'll do new progress.

One of the bad news is - Once I've finished with this collumn, I need a second one Icon_twisted

Bye, Gerd
Some more progress done. I milled out the side area. The second photo is a preview of the next steps. I marked the hudge area where the crank shaft will spin and that has to be cut away later. But first, I'll mill some more details and other areas on this part.
While using an 8mm ball end mill, I got nice rounded corners and the part looks like cast iron.

[Image: Coll_18i.jpg] [Image: Coll_20i.jpg] [Image: Coll_21i.jpg]
Click on thumbs to enlarge.

Cheers, Gerd
Hello guys,

the second column takes shape and here's a view of both with the cylinders in place to get a feeling of the final size.
The different hight results from a konger raw cut piece for the second column. When the crank shaft braket is made, the length of these columns will be the same.

[Image: Coll_22i.jpg]

Cheers, Gerd
Gerd, great work!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Cheers Cheers
I've seen lots of train stuff, but never seen anyone building a live steam model from REAL scratch...That's REAL modeling.... Cheers

Any updates..?? Goldth

P.D. Gotta love your crew.... Misngth
Gus (LC&P).