CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale
doctorwayne Wrote:There are some ideas (and lots of related information) HERE. Click on "Steam Navigation".
Here's a MAP of the area with some place names.

Wayne

I've stumbled on the Crowsnest before, but that map is pure gold! Thanks Wayne. Thumbsup
Progress has been slow due to the Holi-daze. But I have managed some. Almost finished the transfer bridge. I have to scratch build the 2 Ton triplex chain hoists that hook onto the end of the slip and the arms at the end.

But that will have to wait until next year. Wink

[Image: SAM_0024-1.jpg]

[Image: SAM_0025-1.jpg]
Now that is IMPRESSIVE!!!!
Worship Worship Worship
Waveof7

So how are you going to model the water over the rail???
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
mountaingoatgreg Wrote:So how are you going to model the water over the rail???

Simple... I'm not. I'm going to try and have the depth of the water climb up the shoreline just to point to give a suggestion that the slip is almost completely in the lake. By my measurements a 1/4 inch depth should do the trick. I'm still deciding on what to use... Magic Water or Envirotex, but there is still plenty of things to finish up before I get to that point.
Looking good Tetters. I'm looking forward to seeing some stain put on everything. Now, you've probably said it before, so I apologize for not remembering, but is the car float going to be moveable? Will it be like a staging yard? Or will you actually move cars on the float from one area of the layout to another?

I also see an EG&E car peeking at us! Thumbsup
Thanks Gary!

I've decided that I'm going fix the float in place and use the ol 0-5-0 switcher to move freight on and off it in between sessions. The two track float will be another scratch build as the three track Walther's float is not prototypical to what was used in the Kootenays. They did have three track floats, however the floats had three straight individual tracks, no frog point on the float. The transfer slip at Kaslo had three tracks on the slip. Changing freight to either track was done on land.
Now this is a nice transfer bridge!
Jens
Thanks Jens! I appreciate the compliment. I'm looking forward to completing it.
Great work on the transfer bridge Tetters!!! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Ralph
Tetters, unless I'm misunderstanding something if you are using the 0-5-0 to switch out the floats, you could actually model water over the top of the rails without effecting the operation at all. Your "water covered" rails would simply be scenery!
Tetters, though I hated to see your pier go, this is even better. Awesome modeling Thumbsup .
Kurt
Russ Bellinis Wrote:Tetters, unless I'm misunderstanding something if you are using the 0-5-0 to switch out the floats, you could actually model water over the top of the rails without effecting the operation at all. Your "water covered" rails would simply be scenery!

Hey Russ.

I still want to be able to drive the entire train onto the float. Just like the prototype. If I pour the water over the rails, then obviously the loco won't be able to do this. I envision a typical Ops Session to start with an 8 car train plus loco, plus van, staged on the float and then driving everything off the float to get the session going. I hope that makes some sense.

But other then that what do you think of the slip so far? Wink

Thanks for the compliments Kurt and Ralph! Much appreciated! Big Grin
I like that operating scheme alot. And at the end of the operating session, the car float will be loaded again, and then those cars will be removed before the next operating session.
Gary S Wrote:I like that operating scheme alot. And at the end of the operating session, the car float will be loaded again, and then those cars will be removed before the next operating session.

Essentially that's the idea. The float may not always be filled to capacity either inbound or outbound. I may start off a session with only a three car train, and have a full outgoing load, or vice versa.
Tetters, I like it. That float apron is so different from anything anywhere else that I know of that anyone familiar with it will know exactly where you are modeling. You may need to have pics available for anyone who doesn't believe a float apron would ever be built like that. Thinking about it, I think I would put the water just about even with the top of the apron at it's lowest point, and then use gloss coat on the top surface to simulate a wet surface. Leave the rails clean and dry for operation.